My First tweek

OldScott

My First tweek
« on: 22 Jul 2020, 09:07 pm »
I proudly accomplished my first audio tweak nearly 80 years ago. It consisted of my getting my father to triple the length of mother's wire cloths line onto which I had hooked a crystal radio and earphones so I could listen to one of the two nearby country music stations. But, at night WOW! I sometimes was able to receive clear channel stations from over half of the United States, depending on atmospheric conditions! I could not understand how that cat whisker on a crystal could do that. And still can't. But this gives an idea from whence I am coming. I have an issue with high res that I can't get my mind around. I have a Cary DMS 600 DAC  (replacement for my crystal radio :lol:) that is capable of resolving up to DSD512. Thus I can download files of this resolution on my computer. The issue is getting this high-rez music to my DAC for decoding to analog. It seems that no matter what forms of physical cable I use s/pdif, toslink, or whatever they are limited to passing far lower resolutions, perhaps 24/192 at best. So how do I get the files from my computer to the DAC. Further complication is that the Cary is not a USB DAC and does not have an analog input. So I guess my problem is how is how to get USB into the DAC  Am I missing something REALLY obvious, guilty of stinking thinking, or what?

Mag

Re: My First tweek
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2020, 09:38 pm »
Maybe you don't need a dac if your music files are high resolution to begin. My tweaking is to upscale music of lower resolution to higher resolution with a dac. :smoke:

srb

Re: Cary DMS 600 DAC not playing DSD Files
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2020, 10:19 pm »
It seems that no matter what forms of physical cable I use s/pdif, toslink, or whatever they are limited to passing far lower resolutions, perhaps 24/192 at best.

It looks to me that the Optical, Coaxial and AES/EBU inputs can only accept up to 24/192.  DSD should play back either through the Ethernet or the USB Type A (Hard Drive) inputs.

Try putting some DSD files on a thumb drive and see if you can play them on the Cary.  If they play, you may want to share your PC's music folder on the network, but you will of course be using the Cary menu and interface to browse and play files, not a player on your PC like JRiver. 

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2020, 10:27 pm »
From the manual:

13. DIGITAL INPUT JACK (OPTICAL)
16 – 24 Bit, 44.1 kHz - 192 kHz digital data Input. MQA nor DSD files can be inputted.

14. DIGITAL INPUT JACK (COAXIAL 1)
16 – 24 Bit, 44.1 kHz - 192 kHz digital data Input. MQA nor DSD files can be inputted.

15. DIGITAL INPUT JACK (COAXIAL 2)

16. DIGITAL INPUT JACK (AES/EBU)

OldScott

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2020, 12:14 am »
Thanks. Your input limitations are correct. Thinking further, could I also copy the files to a usb drive, connect it to my Nucleus+ and use roon to route the music to my DAC via my network?

srb

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2020, 01:12 am »
Thinking further, could I also copy the files to a usb drive, connect it to my Nucleus+ and use roon to route the music to my DAC via my network?

Yes.  (You didn't initially mention you had a Roon Nucleus)

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-nucleus-with-dac-streamer-best-way-to-setup/92621