Chris' first ever SoundScape 10's

jsalk

Chris' first ever SoundScape 10's
« on: 4 Sep 2010, 08:05 pm »
Chris contacted us over a year ago and was first in line to order a pair of SoundScape 10's.  This was long before the design was finalized, so he had quite a wait.

He wanted something striking and had seen a pair of HT2-TL's we had done in burled walnut with book-matched sapwood in the design.  He thought the same thing would work great for a pair of SS10's.

These will ship just in time to arrive in Austin, TX when he returns from Africa on the 20th.

Here are some pics...

And a close-up...

Have a great time in Africa, Chris, and happy listening upon your return!

- Jim

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Chris' first ever SoundScape 10's
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2010, 08:26 pm »
Stunning as usual Jim.   8)  Chris you are a lucky man. It's a little silly to say enjoy, as what else could you do ?  So have fun rediscovering your music with those fine bad boys.  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2010, 08:47 pm »
Nice work Jim !!!

Audioclyde

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2010, 08:55 pm »
I absolutely love my ebonized walnut Daedalus DA-RMa's, but I have to say those are stunningly beautiful!!

Great work; I'd love to hear some Salks sometime!

Randy

fsimms

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2010, 09:14 pm »
They are beautiful Jim.  It has been over four years for you.  It is nice to see the finalized version start to roll out.  :thumb:

Bob

highfilter

« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2010, 09:24 pm »
Beauty. The SoundScapes have arrived!

coke

« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2010, 02:15 pm »
I was hoping to never see another pair like mine. I liked that they were unique, but I guess it's not such a bad thing since patterns look a lot different.

The pictures above look dull compared to how mine look in person.  Here's something to give everyone an idea. The way they look really changes with the amount and type of lighting. 

ratso

« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2010, 11:07 pm »
i was going to go with the burled walnut/sapwood also. i have finally decided to go in a different direction, but i have to say your guys speakers look so good i hope i have made the right decision... very very nice.

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2010, 02:52 pm »
Those are superb!  Congratulations sir.

Mudslide

« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2010, 10:01 pm »
Awesome.  I'll just sit here and drool for awhile.... :drool:

Congrats!

cujobob

« Reply #10 on: 7 Sep 2010, 11:26 pm »
Burled Walnut was my favorite of all the pictures, I've seen too...the first I recall seeing were a pair of HT3s...was in love with them.  These look fantastic!

jackass

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2010, 10:54 pm »

Finally recieved my SS10's yesterday. I have not done any significant work on placement but after having listened to Jim's disc and some of my audio staples with and withouth the midrange cover I can say I am VERY impressed. The speakers that are being displaced (pictured below)

I really enjoyed and but I feel, in my short time of listening, the SS10's are superior in just about every way.  I listened for hours yesterday and again last night with my music loving but not audiophile girlfriend, to many different style and genres of music at reasonable to excessive db's and never felt any fatigue. One thing I thought was odd and unexpected, even some bad recordings that usually cause me some aural pain where more listenable then on previous speakers.

Midrange has been the star and vocals, acoustic guitar and piano spectacular. In my room without a doubt vocals are much more distinct with the hard cover on the midrange chamber. With the cover off, complex orchestra and synthesized pieces as well as some old school rock-n-roll was fantastic, enveloping. The song "Pont Des Arts" by St. Germain was amazing with the cover off, this song really shows off the highs and lows of the SS10's.

Bass is great for my room, which is actually pretty small (12Wx17Dx10H).  My previous speakers easily overloaded my room. Bass is punchy and tight and just felt appropriate with the volumes played without the increasing overload I had problems with previously. Bass is obviously room and placement dependent, but once again, with little in the way of tuning, I am very pleased.

As for fit and finish....art work. I love quality craftsmanship and these are just beautiful. To the person who said said my speakers where "butt ugly" in another thread, how about you learn a little tact.

I am always a little leery of glowing reviews on every forum about every product and try not to come across as a fan boy but must say, I am thoroughly impressed with my new speakers. I just can’t imagine getting near the quality of these speakers at anywhere near $10K from anyone else and if you are in the market for a speaker in this price range you would be foolish not to give the SS10's a listen.

Thanks Jim, Dennis, Etc... :thumb:

Chris

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2010, 11:31 pm »
I think I watched Mike pack those.  The Moscode drives them adequately?

fsimms

« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2010, 12:03 am »
How incredibly beautiful they look in your room.  I see you have them close to a back wall like me.  I just came back from Wal-Mart with a $4 poly fill jumbo pillow.  I put ¼ of the pillow’s stuffing in each midrange tunnel.   It seems to be a good starting place for me in adjusting the amount of ambiance.   FWIW  I think that the Moscode is a beautiful place to start!

Bob

Stercom

« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2010, 12:46 am »
Very, very nice! Once you get them totally dialed-in report back.

jackass

« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2010, 01:11 am »
I think I watched Mike pack those.  The Moscode drives them adequately?

Big Red, in a word, in this room, yes, the Moscode is adequate  but admittedly, I have never been blown away by this amp.  My tastes lean towards the sound of tubes and i was hoping I would get the both of best worlds (power and warmth, e.i. pleasant distortion) with this as a hybrid. I would describe this amp as more "smooth solid state".

Having said that, I have never had any problems with clipping in my environment (small room) but don't disagree with the thought that more clean power is more dynamic even at low volume. The amp search has slowed but is not over.

jackass

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2010, 01:20 am »
How incredibly beautiful they look in your room.  I see you have them close to a back wall like me.  I just came back from Wal-Mart with a $4 poly fill jumbo pillow.  I put ¼ of the pillow’s stuffing in each midrange tunnel.   It seems to be a good starting place for me in adjusting the amount of ambiance.   FWIW  I think that the Moscode is a beautiful place to start!

Bob

Bob, thanks. It is nice not to have rear ports. The passive woofers on both sides pose a different problem for me with my narrow room because I don't want to get it to close to the side walls so they sit a little closer together than my rear ported speakers. I have to keep playing and see what really works best. 

A few years ago I bought some poly fill from a hobby store.

LadyDog

« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2010, 01:24 am »
Your Boxer seems to enjoy them and know where the sweet spot is. 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2010, 01:37 am »
Yo Jackass....I mean Chris   (-_-)

Beautiful setup you have there.

Next time when I'll fly to DFW, I got to make a stop at your place to check those out.

Btw, we got 2 big guys here like your puppy there. :)

dynaflo

« Reply #19 on: 29 Sep 2010, 03:39 pm »
Your girlfriend is a real dog. :lol: