Finally placed an order for HT2-TLs

jazzcat1

Re: Finally placed an order for HT2-TLs
« Reply #20 on: 17 Aug 2009, 03:30 pm »
Great news Kevin!  :thumb: Dust off all the gear, vacuum the floor and make ready for the "twins"!

"Are you ready for some Salksound?"  :lol:

vintagebob

« Reply #21 on: 17 Aug 2009, 04:20 pm »
Alright mathgeek!  I knew you were close.   :thumb:

Have you stocked up on food and water.  ; )

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #22 on: 17 Aug 2009, 04:23 pm »
Kevin: 

Great!  You should have your speakers very soon.

Are you taking next week off from work?  :D

mathgeek97

« Reply #23 on: 17 Aug 2009, 06:10 pm »
I'm pretty psyched.  I've sold off my old armoire that was taking up space in my living room.  I might still have to remove a chair, unless it ends up being a dual purpose bass trap/high-back chair.   :D  Going to finish building the BJC/Belden speaker cables tonight.  Other than that I'm ready beyond reason...

I do still have to go to work next week.  I have to pay for all of these toys somehow!

Need to double check with Jim, but I'm guessing this is the first Kentucky bound pair of Salks.  Suppose I'll have to play some bluegrass on them at some point...

And, of course, I am hoping to snap a few pics of the FedEX truck.  Wish me luck!

-Kevin

Nuance

« Reply #24 on: 18 Aug 2009, 02:02 am »
That's great new, Kevin!  I look forward to delivery day. 

mathgeek97

« Reply #25 on: 20 Aug 2009, 09:24 pm »
This is the obligatory, "Jim sent me an email today.  Towers should ship out tomorrow.  Woo hoo!!!" message.  Soon to be followed by, "Towers have shipped.  Woo hoo!!!!" :D

vintagebob

« Reply #26 on: 20 Aug 2009, 09:49 pm »
This is the obligatory, "Jim sent me an email today.  Towers should ship out tomorrow.  Woo hoo!!!" message.  Soon to be followed by, "Towers have shipped.  Woo hoo!!!!" :D

Excellent!

Nuance

« Reply #27 on: 20 Aug 2009, 10:14 pm »
^ Booya!  :D

funkmonkey

« Reply #28 on: 20 Aug 2009, 11:34 pm »

Now for the hard part of the wait....  :wink:

I hope they arrive safely.

mathgeek97

« Reply #29 on: 21 Aug 2009, 01:07 am »
Now for the hard part of the wait....  :wink:

I hope they arrive safely.

Yeah, I know.  And I get to be extra nervous since shipping out on a Friday morning should get them here on Tuesday, I think.  Darned weekend has to slow everything down!!!!! :duh:

wifehatesspeakers

« Reply #30 on: 21 Aug 2009, 01:23 am »
Maybe you should spend the time cleaning the house in preparation for your new babies?  It might make your wife happy.   :green:

Then when your speakers get there - it's all gravy and you plug and play!

mathgeek97

« Reply #31 on: 21 Aug 2009, 01:36 am »
Maybe you should spend the time cleaning the house in preparation for your new babies?  It might make your wife happy.   :green:

Then when your speakers get there - it's all gravy and you plug and play!
I have been doing what I can to get the speakers' room cleaner and more organized.  Sold off a large armoire that we didn't use anymore and bought a case to hold all of the kids' DVDs.  Maybe I'll take the day off work Tuesday and clean the house.  Somehow, I think she's still going to be annoyed with my giant speakers flanking my giant TV.   At least I'm not wanting a sports car.  Speakers are cheaper and much more enjoyable (to me).  I've also tried to get her to connect her itunes to the Apple Airport Express, but she keeps telling me she doesn't care.  Maybe she'll change her mind when she hears the HT2-TLs.  :D I am still hopeful!
-Kevin

mathgeek97

« Reply #32 on: 24 Aug 2009, 06:31 pm »
and the obligatory, "It's on the truck!  They should arrive tomorrow.  This is the final day of life without good speakers..."

-Kevin

vintagebob

« Reply #33 on: 24 Aug 2009, 07:10 pm »
and the obligatory, "It's on the truck!  They should arrive tomorrow.  This is the final day of life without good speakers..."

-Kevin

How cool is that?!   :thumb:   

Have fun tomorrow!  :green:

I hope to be there soon...

OgOgilby

« Reply #34 on: 25 Aug 2009, 02:40 pm »

-Kevin

Congrats Kevin! Don't forget to take the obligatory "FedEx truck photo" in all the excitement :wink:

Nuance

« Reply #35 on: 25 Aug 2009, 04:42 pm »
Today is D-day (delivery day)/S-day (Salk day), isn't it?  Lions and tigers and HT2's, oh my!  :)

rahimlee54

« Reply #36 on: 25 Aug 2009, 07:41 pm »
I am excited for you cant wait to see and read impressions.

Enjoy
Jared

mathgeek97

They're HERE!!!!!!! and other assorted difficulties...
« Reply #37 on: 26 Aug 2009, 02:06 am »
 No pics in this post.  I'll get some up after I post this update...
First of all, let me say how impressed I am with the finish on my speakers.  Jim matched a picture I had of an existing piece, which I was selling, but loved it's finish.  Jim's work makes my speakers look like very fine cherry furniture.  I am VERY impressed and happy.  Beautiful!
Now the bad part.  I got them setup, in place.  I whipped out my iPhone, selected my "speaker demo" playlist, hit play, and... WTF was that?  One of the drivers sounded like a combination of flatulence and static.   :duh:  I double checked all of my connections.  I switched from the iTunes to my trusty OPPO blu-ray player.  No help.
Back to the good part.  I called Jim, who answered right away, as usual.  I told him what was going on.  We both had some words to say about FedEx, and Jim is now sending a replacement W18 driver.
Long story, short:  Drop-dead beauties, but being blown away by the sound will have to wait a while...
Thanks Jim Salk!!!!!!
-Kevin

mathgeek97

S-Day Pics!
« Reply #38 on: 26 Aug 2009, 02:25 am »
Lonely, empty room:

Made these myself (parts from BlueJeans cable):

Now the good part, before the FedEx guy was whining about the two 130 pound packages he had to get up to my house!

FedEx made me sad.  I saw some dark wood through this hole in the box and freaked out.  Turned out to be the back side of the grill.  Not worth complaining about.

A first peek at beauty:

The speaker with the bad driver, next to the chair that must go.  Or is it a bass trap? :)

- Kevin, awaiting replacement Seas Excel W18

TJHUB

Re: They're HERE!!!!!!! and other assorted difficulties...
« Reply #39 on: 26 Aug 2009, 02:28 am »
No pics in this post.  I'll get some up after I post this update...
First of all, let me say how impressed I am with the finish on my speakers.  Jim matched a picture I had of an existing piece, which I was selling, but loved it's finish.  Jim's work makes my speakers look like very fine cherry furniture.  I am VERY impressed and happy.  Beautiful!
Now the bad part.  I got them setup, in place.  I whipped out my iPhone, selected my "speaker demo" playlist, hit play, and... WTF was that?  One of the drivers sounded like a combination of flatulence and static.   :duh:  I double checked all of my connections.  I switched from the iTunes to my trusty OPPO blu-ray player.  No help.
Back to the good part.  I called Jim, who answered right away, as usual.  I told him what was going on.  We both had some words to say about FedEx, and Jim is now sending a replacement W18 driver.
Long story, short:  Drop-dead beauties, but being blown away by the sound will have to wait a while...
Thanks Jim Salk!!!!!!
-Kevin

Wow, that's really unfortunate.  :(  More waiting...I really feel for you.

If I could make one suggestion:  I really think the first thing you should play is Jim's demo CD.  I remember getting my HT2-TLs all setup and throwing Jim's demo CD in.  Then all I remember is sitting there with my mouth hanging open in complete awe.  I think that's what should happen for all new Salk owners.  :thumb:

Don't forget the Fedex truck pics even though they may have caused damage to your beautiful new speakers.  It's a tradition you know!  :wink: