Amp suggestions pls

squirrel_nut

Amp suggestions pls
« on: 15 Oct 2012, 09:32 am »
perhaps someone can point me to alternatives i am not already considering.  i am done with multi-ch and will be selling my parasound & adcom 5ch amps once i buy a 2 ch replacement.
my short list is a new AVA Synergy300 or the Odyssey Stratos, both @150w which is the min. power range i need to be in for my room.
i am sure some of you have heard both of these and could be of some help here. speakers are Salk STs.

i would like to keep the cost under $1500.  would consider used, but nothing too old that might need near term cap replacements.
solid state only. my pre is an EAD sig-8 but will be adding a tube pre at some point and then one of them will have to go.

thanks in advance ;)

Nuance

Re: Amp suggestions pls
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2012, 12:52 pm »
If choosing between those two I'd go Odyssey.  I've heard their stuff and it sounds very good, not to mention it is built like a tank.  I had an opportunity to speak with Klaus and Alex this weekend and they are both great guys. 

The AVA stuff is nice, but it's lean in the bass department and still sounds a little analytical to me. 

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2012, 01:35 pm »
I think you are choosing among two very well made designs.  Odyssey makes great amps, as does AVA.  I've heard both and they each have their strengths.  Jim Salk uses AVA a lot at shows and always gets great reviews.

Try to find someone local who is wiling to let you try the amp in your system. Each mfg has a 30 day trial. I suggest auditioning both and returning the one you don't choose.  You will be out shipping cost but it will be money well spent.

mark funk

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:24 pm »
Nuanca, Are you talking about the SS amps or the Fet Valve amps that are lean on bass and analytical?

:smoke:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:26 pm »
Are you talking about the SS amps or the Fet Valve amps that are lean on bass and analytical?

The AVA stuff is nice, but it's lean in the bass department and still sounds a little analytical to me. 

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:31 pm »
Nuanca, Are you talking about the SS amps or the Fet Valve amps that are lean on bass and analytical?

Well, I don't want to knock AVA because it has a good following and Jim is good friends with Frank, but Jim was using the Tube stuff and it still had a solid state leanness and harshness to it.  I've heard most of Frank's stuff and I feel it just doesn't pair with a speaker as accurate as the SoundScape 8.  I mean no offense, so please don't take it the wrong way.  I'm just one guy, so what do I know?  It could have all been the room too I suppose...

For what it's worth, I've heard the SoundScape stuff with other front end electronics, and it sounds fantastic.  Pete's Tube Research lab gear is amazing and would be a killer combination.  Odyssey and Rogue audio pair well too from what I've heard. 

vortrex

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:33 pm »
Interesting comments about the bass, doesn't Frank tout his stuff as having the best bass?

mark funk

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:37 pm »
Thats OK . The analytcal thing is what got me.

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:57 pm »
My Fetvalve did not sound analytical at all.  It had very good bass control and was very musical.  Salk uses AVA gear at shows and in his own system I believe.   I still recommend trying them for yourself and making up your mind abou what sounds best to you.  There is no shortage of opinions around here, including my own, but your opinion regarding what sounds best in your system is the most important one.

System synergy is also often overlooked. 

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2012, 05:15 pm »
I have a pair of Ncore monoblocks driving my SongTowers. They rock with 400 watts into 4 ohms.

squirrel_nut

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2012, 06:04 pm »
thanks to all for their input.  i was sort of leaning towards the Odysses because of their build quality, but for no other reason.
Jackman - i am really liking the idea of giving both a spin! i would feel a bit uncomfortable returning the amp i didnt choose, but i guess
thats the nature of being an online merchant.

i was also looking for other manufacturer suggestions...

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2012, 06:15 pm »
i was also looking for other manufacturer suggestions...

Wyred4Sound is quite nice, as is Bryston and the Parasound Halo A21.  You can find the McCormack DNA stuff used online for a good price too; very nice gear.

What DAC will you be using?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2012, 06:36 pm »
Before the Ncores, I used a McCormack 0.5. Fewer watts but also sounds very good. Salk speakers seem to work with many types of amps.

Meicheng

« Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2012, 06:37 pm »
Driving my HT2-TLs with a Belles 150-A power amp, which also works great.  Would agree that the Salk line works well with many amp choices. 

msommers

« Reply #14 on: 15 Oct 2012, 07:20 pm »
Has anyone tried Primaluna amps with Salks?

Kinger

« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2012, 07:44 pm »
Has anyone tried Primaluna amps with Salks?

Raises hand............. 

Using a PL Prologue 5 with my ST's at the moment.

To the OP, if you are not stuck on 150WPC and would like to try an AVA amp, I have one for sale in the for sale section.  Would be half the cost of your budget.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #16 on: 15 Oct 2012, 07:53 pm »
to OP: Dennis Murphy has an interesting take on the subject:  power amps do not matter as long as there is enough power  :D
just to stir things a bit...

vortrex

« Reply #17 on: 15 Oct 2012, 08:36 pm »
to OP: Dennis Murphy has an interesting take on the subject:  power amps do not matter as long as there is enough power  :D
just to stir things a bit...

yes, and speaker cables do not matter either according to him.  a home depot wire is all you need.

Nuance

« Reply #18 on: 15 Oct 2012, 08:59 pm »
^ Hehe, you guys are opening a can of worms now. :D

Concerning sound quality, I do think the DAC and preamp are much more important than the power amp provided you have ample power, but to each their own.

Edited for poor grammar. DOH!
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2012, 12:56 pm by Nuance »

mark funk

« Reply #19 on: 15 Oct 2012, 09:12 pm »
Come on now. You know how it works. Your HiFi is only as good as the weakest link in the chain. If you have a killer amp but a shit pre amp what do you think its going to sound like?