Cornet 2 out of storage but no sound

jezza

Cornet 2 out of storage but no sound
« on: 26 Jan 2015, 07:13 am »
Hi Guys
Just got my Cornet 2 out of storage to fire up after about 2 years but no sound. LED stays red for about 3 seconds and then turns green but no output. Funny thing is that when I turn the unit off I hear sound for a second or so until it fades away. Tubes are "glowing" while on but no sound. Does this sound like dead tubes ? was working fine before being put into storage.

Unfortunately Im no electronics guru so any help would be appreciated. I was going to order a new set of tubes first to see if that solves the problem ?

Cheers
Jeremy

poty

Re: Cornet 2 out of storage but no sound
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2015, 01:28 pm »
Was it bought as a completed unit or as a half-kit?
The sound after switching off is definitely sounds funny. :D Nothing I can think of. Maybe it is just a bad interconnect that momentarily "mends" when you touch the unit?

sfox7076

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2015, 02:12 pm »
What do you have it hooked to?  Have you tried another input?  Is the noise at turnoff the music playing or just a pop like shutdown noise?  Doesn't sound like bad tubes to me.  They usually have some sort of flame out, unless the gm is so low, you aren't getting the gain you need.

Shawn

jezza

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:24 pm »
Thanks for the replys. I have tried my thorens turntable with my other solid state phono stage and it is outputting fine - problem is definitely with the cornet. As said when I turn off the cornet I hear the music briefly and then fades away - sounds good for that period no pops or buzzing etc. I purchased the unit several years ago from the person who built it and it upgraded when he built it. It was working fine when put in storage.

Looks like I will have to take it off to someone to look at it.

jezza

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:28 pm »
Just thought I would add that when plugged into my preamp and the cornet is powered on there is no noise what so ever even when turning up the volume - no hiss, hum or anything. Sounds like it is not even plugged into the preamp input until I turn it off!

Grinnell

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2015, 06:02 pm »
check all the solder joints?

poty

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2015, 08:11 pm »
If the device was built up to original schematic there cannot be such behavior. There is something that prevents the B+ for entering the circuit until the moment of switching off. The original Cornet 2 has a central switch in the mains entrance module ("ac input connector"), so it cannot switch for example heaters only (as far as I understand the tubes glove as usual).
There could be some bad joints somewhere, but it means that you may have sound just by pressing to certain points (you have at least one known point - main switch).

hagtech

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2015, 03:46 am »
Can you check for DC on the outputs?  A leaky signal capacitor could trigger muting in your linestage. 

jh