Ohm 1000 review

mitch stl

Ohm 1000 review
« on: 9 Nov 2018, 02:45 am »
I'm not very active on this or any of the audio websites, but recently switched from a pair of Golden Ear Triton 7s to a set of Ohm 1000s.

First, I'll state that I did really enjoy the Triton 7s in the three years I owned them. I found them voiced quite neutrally in the midrange, with unusually good bass extension and smooth, extended treble. Their one drawback for me was the size of the sweet spot.

My stereo is in our 14' X 13' living room, with 10' ceilings, that is also used for watching TV and other activities, so there are serious constraints as to what goes where. There are also three openings into other rooms that complicate the matter.

As such, every serious listening session required me to move one speaker, adjust the toe-in, and move my chair so that I was in that one special spot where everything came together. It still sounded pretty good elsewhere in the room, but the true magic disappeared when anything was out of place.

I owned a set of the original Ohm Fs back in the 1970s and always regretted selling them, though they would have been far too large for my current room. I well remember their downright spooky ability to float a 3-D image in the room, regardless of where you were. Hence, it seemed worth it to give the current Ohms a try.

The 1000s were the right size for my room, and they arrived about a month after I ordered them. The most favorable of my first impressions is that the Ohm 1000s make me feel like I've had the shackles removed that kept me pinned to a small sweet spot when I wanted to do serious listening. It is simply marvelous to be able to move about the room or sit elsewhere and have the music continue to image like a live ensemble, without the 3-D qualities disappearing or changing unnaturally.

I used to tell myself that when I'm listening seriously, I sit quietly in the one small sweet spot, and if I'm not there, then I'm just listening casually and imaging didn't matter. I think I've been cheating myself with that view.

The other strong point is that acoustic instruments, and vocals in particular, are extremely well voiced. They are natural and accurate sounding. This, in combination with the big sweet spot, makes the sonic image float eerily independent of the speakers -- very nice. My reference for recorded music playback is mainly based on unamplified acoustic instruments and voice. If a speaker does this well, then I'm going to be pretty content.

The were only two initial drawbacks. One was that bass was a bit unexpectedly shy, but that was solved wih some minor positioning moves. The other was some upper midrange sibiiance on certain recordings. It turned out that the Ohms' quasi-omni radiation was resonating the back panel of the flat screen TV. A bit of adhesive sound dampening on the back of the TV cured that problem (though it'd likely be even better if the TV was removed, but that's not happening.)

I have fairly eclectic musical tastes -- classical (from liturgical to chamber to full orchestral), jazz, folk, Americana, bluegrass, blues, big band, and so on as well as a bit of rock 'n roll. I've yet to come across a good recording that doesn't sound wonderful on the Ohms, regardless of where one is sitting or standing in the room.

These speakers probably aren't for everyone. I know some people want "better" than natural or realistic -- they are looking for an enhanced reality, something I call the "Kodachrome effect". There are hundreds of different speakers on the market and all of them have their fans. However, if you're looking and can relate to what I've written, it is probably worth checking out Ohm.
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2018, 04:00 am by mitch stl »

kbuzz3

Re: Ohm 1000 review
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2018, 02:54 am »
Nice write up.   Ohms are imho criminally underrated. And you won’t find better customer service

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2018, 03:18 am »
Nice review and I'd love to hear some Ohm speakers sometime.  Are you in the St. Louis area?   

Mark

mitch stl

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2018, 03:25 am »
Yes, I'm near Tower Grove Park in the City.

Blackmore

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2018, 03:43 am »
I’m out in Wright City but I’m frequently in town. Hope we can schedule a listening session some time. Thanks for posting your review

Mark

artur9

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2018, 02:18 pm »
That was a great review, mitch stl.  I am in the slow (very slow) hunt for an upgrade to my Vienna Acoustics Haydns and the Ohms are a fascinating possibility.

Your music tastes seem to mirror mine.  Do you have any Sharon Isbin?  If you do, can you give that a listen and let me know ow the Ohms do?

mick wolfe

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2018, 03:16 pm »
I've had Ohm 1000's in my small listening room (10x11) for years.  Nothing I've hauled into that room, be it a monitor type or whatever, has been as satisfying as the 1000's. They present music in a natural manner and more in the way one hears it in a live setting. Also as you've noted, you're  not locked into a single optimum listening position. And as a final bonus, they're extremely well voiced.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2018, 03:57 pm »
Nice review.  Been using my Ohm Microwalsh Talls in a secondary system in a small bedroom (about 11x13) for several years and really love them.

mitch stl

« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov 2018, 10:25 pm »
I have 3 albums by Sharon Isbin. Dreams of a World is the only solo guitar and the other two ("Rouse" and Baroque Favorites) are with chamber orchestras. 

The presentation on all of them is excellent and lifelike, though any recording with a classical guitar as the main instrument with an orchestra is going to shove the guitar way to the front.

I confess I prefer Norbert Kraft to Sharon as a classical guitarist, though I think Sharon is better known. Sharon seems to be a bit more "academic" in her style and I think works a bit harder at promoting herself. That said, she is an excellent classical guitarist and the Ohms show her to her best.

Some people complain that Ohm's imaging isn't as accurate due to it''s quasi-omni radiation pattern, but when I close my eyes, the guitar is where it is suppposed to be, is right sized, and stays put as it is played up and down the scale. The Ohms also do a great job of revealing the space in which the recording was made.