How to protect against static electricity

skvinson

How to protect against static electricity
« on: 24 Apr 2017, 05:27 pm »
I recently fried a Wyred4Sound Recovery b/c of a static electricity shock. I have since put a humidifier in my office/listening room. Is there some electrical/mechanical way to protect against damage like that?

Thanks

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: How to protect against static electricity
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2017, 05:36 pm »
You can get cheap anti-static mats for $20 from Amazon/Ebay or any electrical or computer supply shop. Just avoid the homeopathic "grounding" or "earthing" mats which will sell for a hundred bucks or more.

Other than that, just get in the habit of touching something metallic to discharge before you handle your gear. I usually tap the metal screws on the cover plate of a lightswitch.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2017, 06:40 pm »
  Good suggestions. you can also try connecting a wire to the ground screw of the outlet. Then attach a steel washer to it. Leave near rach and touch that washer before the DAC. BTW use your right hand not to affect your heart.

charles

skvinson

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2017, 07:55 pm »
Thanks! I will hook up a wire/washer and look into the mats.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2017, 08:40 pm »
Big 'hand to item' static shocks are usually a combination of: type of carpet, type of shoe, walking style and humidity.
Wool and some other fabrics can generate static really fast. The soles of the shoes rubbibg across the carpet add up voltage..
Then humidity.
The air water vapor maters a lot.
But if you happen the have the totally wrong combo of carpet and shoe, (plus the habit of sliding ones feet instead of lifting the feet to walk..)

I would say try the carpet cover. Maybe try other types of shoes? (or coat the soles with some sort of stuff like a rubber. Even if it comes off, you can see if it makes a difference.

And Do you shuffle your feet? If you are older like most of us... it can be a bad habit to pick up.

skvinson

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2017, 11:49 pm »
I'm wearing Crocs sandals most of the time. (Super comfortable!) I do shuffle some. I have started to pay attention to it.

Thanks

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2017, 12:46 am »
I was going to start a thread just like this...  :thumb: 

Except it's when I touch my laptop and get a small shock then it "disconnects".  The computer will say it doesn't recognize USB input and I have to plug and unplug it several times before it will recognize my DAC again.  :banghead:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

santacore

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2017, 01:21 am »
I think some of the office supply places sell a anti static spray for carpet. It comes in a industrial style squirt bottle.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2017, 01:48 am »
I think some of the office supply places sell a anti static spray for carpet. It comes in a industrial style squirt bottle.
Not need any product to stops static, just wash the hands when you seel there is static.