Speakers for Ultravalve amp

audiomaniac

Speakers for Ultravalve amp
« on: 24 May 2020, 05:25 pm »
Hi all,

I own an Ultravalve amp and was wondering what speakers other owners are using. I'm looking for monitors in the sub $2k range for a small listening space.

Thanks

tipatina

Re: Speakers for Ultravalve amp
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2020, 11:22 pm »
I have used my Ultravalve with Klipsch KG4 and Forte II both of which I got cheaply on Craigslist. You can easily refurbish just about any older Klipsch using Crites parts.

slefley

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2020, 12:42 am »
The LS3/5A Is magical with this amp.

audiomaniac

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2020, 02:37 am »
I’ve thought about Klipsch. The LS3/5A might be something I’d look at. I thought I would need something more efficient though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2020, 03:34 am »
Hi,

Frank has demonstrated his electronics with Salk Sound speakers on many occasions.  If you could stretch you budget a couple of hundred dollars you couldn't go past a pair of song towers for their price.

https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=SongTower

Personally, I'll never buy another pair of speakers from a dealer as 10% of the cost of the speaker only goes into them. The rest goes into the dealers pocket and for marketing.  Jim's speakers have properly designed expensive crossover parts and sound very good.

I live in Perth, Western Australia and I've previously owned HT2's and currently have a salk sound rhythmic subwoofer, HT3's and Song 3's at home.

I've also tried diy speaker building with limited results.  All the best.

Cheers Rod

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2020, 04:54 am »
You could go over to the Omega thread and ask about these.
https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/monitor-speakers/products/compact-alnico-monitor?variant=32172350732

I have heard what I think were the Super Alnico Monitor. They were nice. I listened to them in non-ideal conditions though.

mick wolfe

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2020, 04:08 pm »
I've never had a speaker that sounded better in a small listening space than an Ohm 1000. A P-P tube amp in the 35-40 watt range will get it done at reasonable volume levels. The 1000 specifies a room volume between 800-1600 cu. ft. for best results. They offer a 120 day home audition period, but they are priced right at your limit of $2K. FWIW, I've owned a pair for years. They're currently driven by a 22 watt 845 SET amp in a room roughly 900 cu. ft. in volume. Although they're a floorstanding speaker, they have a very small footprint taking up less floor space than many standmounts.

Brett Buck

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2020, 04:20 pm »
I have an Ultimate 70, it has no problem driving essentially any speaker to acceptable levels with reasonable dynamics. I have used speakers as low as 87 Db/watt (Ohms Walsh 100) with it, it was fine for my relatively small room, 90 Db/watt (B&W Nautilus 803S) is pretty good and by baseline system.

On the other hand, the noise floor is extremely low, so high-efficiency speakers have no real problems, either. When I finished my U70 mod, I hooked it up and flipped the switch, and *nothing*. I figured it either blew the fuse instantly, or was about to start emitting smoke, but no, I could hear the tubes clinking as the mica supports scraped up the side of the glass. I hit "play" on the portable CD player I was using as a test source, and bam, working perfectly. Point being, it's nearly silent, as good as I have ever heard from any amp, much less a tube amp.

I am no particular fan of horn or high-effiiciency speakers, but I would recommend it very highly for that, it's as good as I have heard in regard to parasitic noise.

Brett

yeldarb

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2020, 06:45 pm »
Look at Tektondesign.com.  Efficient speakers that are more livable than horns.  From small to large. 

audiomaniac

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2020, 08:11 pm »
Yes, I know about the Salks. I would rather have stand mounts at this point and the Salks are pretty low efficiency. But excellent speakers and I know Frank has demo'd with them.

Thanks Rod!

Hi,

Frank has demonstrated his electronics with Salk Sound speakers on many occasions.  If you could stretch you budget a couple of hundred dollars you couldn't go past a pair of song towers for their price.

https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=SongTower

Personally, I'll never buy another pair of speakers from a dealer as 10% of the cost of the speaker only goes into them. The rest goes into the dealers pocket and for marketing.  Jim's speakers have properly designed expensive crossover parts and sound very good.

I live in Perth, Western Australia and I've previously owned HT2's and currently have a salk sound rhythmic subwoofer, HT3's and Song 3's at home.

I've also tried diy speaker building with limited results.  All the best.

Cheers Rod

audiomaniac

« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2020, 08:16 pm »
I've actually had single drivers from Louis once. They were Omega A8s circa 2004 and I ran them with a McIntosh 225. Nice speakers but I'm not sure I want to go back to single drivers. That's a another whole discussion in itself! I know the reputation of his alnico drivers and they are tempting. And Louis is a super guy to deal with!

Thanks for the suggestion!

You could go over to the Omega thread and ask about these.
https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/monitor-speakers/products/compact-alnico-monitor?variant=32172350732

I have heard what I think were the Super Alnico Monitor. They were nice. I listened to them in non-ideal conditions though.

audiomaniac

« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2020, 08:18 pm »
I don't know anything about these. I'll check them out. Thanks

I have an Ultimate 70, it has no problem driving essentially any speaker to acceptable levels with reasonable dynamics. I have used speakers as low as 87 Db/watt (Ohms Walsh 100) with it, it was fine for my relatively small room, 90 Db/watt (B&W Nautilus 803S) is pretty good and by baseline system.

On the other hand, the noise floor is extremely low, so high-efficiency speakers have no real problems, either. When I finished my U70 mod, I hooked it up and flipped the switch, and *nothing*. I figured it either blew the fuse instantly, or was about to start emitting smoke, but no, I could hear the tubes clinking as the mica supports scraped up the side of the glass. I hit "play" on the portable CD player I was using as a test source, and bam, working perfectly. Point being, it's nearly silent, as good as I have ever heard from any amp, much less a tube amp.

I am no particular fan of horn or high-effiiciency speakers, but I would recommend it very highly for that, it's as good as I have heard in regard to parasitic noise.

Brett

audiomaniac

« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2020, 08:22 pm »
The Ultravalve is a little brut of an amp. I'm currently using Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 speakers which are only about 86db efficient. I've never had horns but have had the single drivers that were pretty efficient. I likes them because they were so fast. I kind of miss that.

Brett

audiomaniac

« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2020, 08:26 pm »
I've looked at this line. I was comparing them to the Omegas. I've read that they like to play LOUD and might be a little forward for my old ears. But I can see them with this amp. I'm sure it could drive them very well. Thanks.

Look at Tektondesign.com.  Efficient speakers that are more livable than horns.  From small to large.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2020, 09:53 pm »
This is likely a stretch but for many years I used my U70 with a pair of Infinity IM4.1 and it was magical. I should never have sold them but just got itchy. Any speaker with a powered woofer section would likely be a great match. Golden Ear, Def Tech, etc.

JackD

« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2020, 01:18 am »
Give Fritz a call at Fritz Loudspeakers.  His speakers are easy enough to drive to work great with the Ultravalve.  I have driven my Carrera Be's easily with a similar powered Music Reference RM-10. May be slightly over your budget but worth a phone conversation anyway.

SJ David

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jun 2020, 12:31 am »
The Klipsch RP600M is a winner of a small format system. I usually avoid small woofers as personal bias but I have heard these in a smallish room and found I could live with them easily. Little short on the soundstage if this is a priority but they are lively speakers that can easily be driven with the Ultravalve. Check them out.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2020, 12:49 am »
Give Fritz a call at Fritz Loudspeakers.  His speakers are easy enough to drive to work great with the Ultravalve.  I have driven my Carrera Be's easily with a similar powered Music Reference RM-10. May be slightly over your budget but worth a phone conversation anyway.

I absolutely agree.  :thumb:

Fritz Speakers and Van Alstine electronics play beautiful music together.  :thumb:

avahifi

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2020, 02:44 pm »
I agree, Fritz speakers are an excellent match for the Ultravalve.

Frank

jjss49

« Reply #19 on: 9 Nov 2020, 11:13 pm »
always good to know what well respected gear manufacturers use as associated equipment to accompany/test their own gear - good to know the link between frank and salk and fritz for speaker makers ... i would imagine maggies as well for planar lovers