Vinyl Thoughts

bunnyma357

Re: Vinyl Thoughts
« Reply #80 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:54 pm »
It was generally "lots" of LP's for a set price, but they were from people with similar tastes who were thinning out their collections and who I knew cared for their vinyl. Gave me a chance to pick up a lot of things I never would have bought individually, but was always interested in having. Some were great, and some didn't live up to expectations.

As far as retail, I've bought most of my recent vinyl at conventions and there the prices seem to vary between $2 - $6, with collectible stuff commanding more. Even so, I'll come home with 15 or 20 LP's for around $100. Many of which may not be available on CD.

Jim C

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #81 on: 17 Jun 2010, 07:00 pm »
It was generally "lots" of LP's for a set price, but they were from people with similar tastes who were thinning out their collections and who I knew cared for their vinyl. Gave me a chance to pick up a lot of things I never would have bought individually, but was always interested in having. Some were great, and some didn't live up to expectations.

As far as retail, I've bought most of my recent vinyl at conventions and there the prices seem to vary between $2 - $6, with collectible stuff commanding more. Even so, I'll come home with 15 or 20 LP's for around $100. Many of which may not be available on CD.

Jim C

Cool. You've made out, man. Common LPs here at the stores have gone up to $4 and up.

Ryanz

« Reply #82 on: 18 Jun 2010, 02:38 am »
Vinyl is very "in" around here. Unless I hop online and purchase from an online dealer, which I'm firmly against, it's not easy to find a reasonably priced vinyl, unless I go to a garage sale...................... :scratch:

vegasdave

« Reply #83 on: 18 Jun 2010, 02:54 am »
Where are you at? eil.com is a reputable online dealer. They're good, especially for UK pressings! I've bought from them many times. I did get a couple of duds once, and they took 'em back! And they were willing to give a refund.

Ryanz

« Reply #84 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:05 am »
Where are you at? eil.com is a reputable online dealer. They're good, especially for UK pressings! I've bought from them many times. I did get a couple of duds once, and they took 'em back! And they were willing to give a refund.

Portland, OR. Where there seems to be more hipsters than common sense. I like to support local companies.

1ZIP

« Reply #85 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:10 am »
What Bryston gear do you have?

With regards to online retailers Acoustic Sounds is great to work with. excellent packing and fast shippers as well!  But the LP's are not inexpensive.

It's hard to imagine that Portland doesn't have some small shops around.  Try Corvallis or how about Saturday Market?

Ryanz

« Reply #86 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:18 am »
What Bryston gear do you have?

With regards to online retailers Acoustic Sounds is great to work with. excellent packing and fast shippers as well!  But the LP's are not inexpensive.

It's hard to imagine that Portland doesn't have some small shops around.  Try Corvallis or how about Saturday Market?

A Bryston 4B SST2. Corvallis is quite a treck for an LP, but the Saturday Market is a good recommendation. It's been a while, but I think I remember there is one store that sells vinyl.  :thumb:

vegasdave

« Reply #87 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:20 am »
Portland, OR. Where there seems to be more hipsters than common sense. I like to support local companies.

I see. Well, I guess you're just not gonna do vinyl then! haha.

vegasdave

« Reply #88 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:22 am »
excellent packing and fast shippers as well!  But the LP's are not inexpensive.

Same with eil.com

Ryanz

« Reply #89 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:25 am »
I see. Well, I guess you're just not gonna do vinyl then! haha.

I'm not totally closed to the option. They can sound very good. Maybe I will get lucky and find a super nice TT for super cheap.  :thumb: :nono: :scratch: :cry:

vegasdave

« Reply #90 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:40 am »
Ok, cool. Yes they can. Have you considered the Technics 1210M5G...it can be had for under $1000. That's what I got. It's built like a tank, and sounds pretty good, imo.

Ryanz

« Reply #91 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:47 am »
Ok, cool. Yes they can. Have you considered the Technics 1210M5G...it can be had for under $1000. That's what I got. It's built like a tank, and sounds pretty good, imo.

I'll check it out. Thanks.  :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #92 on: 18 Jun 2010, 04:06 am »
That's DJ stuff so you guys better hide well. Make sure Werd doesn't hear either, he will insist that you fill it up with putty to absorb vibrations.

Nap.  :jester:

vegasdave

« Reply #93 on: 18 Jun 2010, 04:41 am »
That's DJ stuff so you guys better hide well. Make sure Werd doesn't hear either, he will insist that you fill it up with putty to absorb vibrations.

Nap.  :jester:

I know, but it sounds good to me! Especially with the Audio-Technica 150MLX cartridge.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/cartridges/699a33304468ed99/index.html

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #94 on: 19 Jun 2010, 07:02 pm »
Hello Vegasdave,

I have noticed that you definitely enjoy your vinyl and I would like your opinion with respect to TT height placement. My audio stand will currently have the TT situated approximately 24 inches above ground level. Do you foresee any issues with this height placement with respect to user friendly operation? I would also welcome anyone else’s opinions :thumb:

Be well...

vegasdave

« Reply #95 on: 19 Jun 2010, 10:15 pm »
Hello Vegasdave,

I have noticed that you definitely enjoy your vinyl and I would like your opinion with respect to TT height placement. My audio stand will currently have the TT situated approximately 24 inches above ground level. Do you foresee any issues with this height placement with respect to user friendly operation? I would also welcome anyone else’s opinions :thumb:

Be well...

To me, that's not bad at all. I have a big heavy end table which the Technics sets on. It's about 2.5 maybe 3 ft, high. I can access the turntable perfectly. Very little bending forward. I dunno, it works for me. No skipping and no excess vibration to cause howling.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #96 on: 19 Jun 2010, 10:19 pm »
To me, that's not bad at all. I have a big heavy end table which the Technics sets on. It's about 2.5 maybe 3 ft, high. I can access the turntable perfectly. Very little bending forward. I dunno, it works for me. No skipping and no excess vibration to cause howling.

What you have to realize Laundrew is Vegas Dave is extremely 'short' in person. :lol:

james

vegasdave

« Reply #97 on: 19 Jun 2010, 10:22 pm »
What you have to realize Laundrew is Vegas Dave is extremely 'short' in person. :lol:

james

haha.  :lol:

Ryanz

« Reply #98 on: 19 Jun 2010, 11:34 pm »

james
:lol:

vegasdave

« Reply #99 on: 19 Jun 2010, 11:49 pm »
Come on James, gimme a break...I'm 5' 8" with shoes on.  :icon_lol: