vinyl?

1oldguy

Re: vinyl?
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jul 2009, 11:08 pm »
I agree undertowogt.......  Both formats can be incredible given the right gear.One may sway a little to the left while the other to the right.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #21 on: 24 Jul 2009, 11:10 pm »
Vinyl never died.  Maybe it took a bit of a nap.

There's something about vinyl that just sounds 'right' to my ears.  I'm not saying digital sounds wrong; its not wrong at all.  But when both are done properly and equally well, vinyl trumps digital pretty much every time to my ears.  Everyone who's come to my house and had no real interest in hifi were very surprised.

I didn't covert anyone though, for what its worth.

I agree. Vinyl seems to be a higher resolution format to my ears than regular old CD. I haven't heard SACD, so I can't say anything regarding that.

The CD player that I plan to purchase is SACD. From what I can remember - I think that the viynl had it beat. I will be able to tell for sure when I purchase a TT down the road and do an A/B side to side.

:D

Cool. Sounds good. Be sure to let us know your findings...

vegasdave

« Reply #22 on: 24 Jul 2009, 11:11 pm »
Don't think for a second that any phonographic medium can hold a sonic candle to really excellent red book cd...if you have the right equipment !  Get with the the times and quit beleiving in this myth that lp is better. The fact is only supported by a pleasant form of harmonic distortion. By the way, who needs the intrusion of that tape hiss , lack of dynamics and dirty grooves ?  RMURRAY.... and freinds. :duel:

I disagree, but will not defend. This topic has been in debate for way too long.

Don't think for a second that any phonographic medium can hold a sonic candle to really excellent red book cd...if you have the right equipment !  Get with the the times and quit beleiving in this myth that lp is better. The fact is only supported by a pleasant form of harmonic distortion. By the way, who needs the intrusion of that tape hiss , lack of dynamics and dirty grooves ?  RMURRAY.... and freinds. :duel:

I disagree, but will not defend. This topic has been in debate for way too long.

I disagree as well.

twitch54

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jul 2009, 01:10 am »
Don't think for a second that any phonographic medium can hold a sonic candle to really excellent red book cd...if you have the right equipment !

Hurry up son......get back on your meds before your mother gets home !!  :duh:

rmurray

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jul 2009, 07:46 pm »
Yes , I really beleive that both are excellent which wasn't the case for anything digital a few years ago. For those that cling to the dogma of lp being the only medium I wish you all the enjoyment in the world. For they that think vinyl is free a manipulations please look up RIAA Curve. You see it's not a matter of' 'meds' but of being around music reproduction for the last forty years that has brought me to my conclusions.............but , to each his or her own. :beer:

1oldguy

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jul 2009, 07:53 pm »
I admit I used to think CD's weren't that good but the BCD-1 has shown me that even on my crap speakers I'm using right now that there is hope.

twitch54

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jul 2009, 04:16 pm »
You see it's not a matter of' 'meds' but of being around music reproduction for the last forty years that has brought me to my conclusions............

murray, FWIW, I was merely injecting an ounce or two of 'levity' into the mix ! Regardless, seeing that you have 'been around music reproduction' for all those years then you are well aware of some of the 'digital disgrace' with regards to mastering compression, etc that we have endured lately !

The simple truth is ......as is known by many.......that excellent examples of BOTH formats exist today as do PLENTY of not so good examples as well.

Again...making 'carte blanche' statements of one formats 'superiority' over the other just goes to prove (on a public forum no less) that their hearing is myopic as their vision !!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #27 on: 26 Jul 2009, 08:42 pm »

...by choosing the internal phono section of the bp26 the stereo/mono switch will be replaced. this might not be the most important feature but worth to think about if STEREO is the major concern?!

al 8).

Hi Alex,

You only lose the stereo/mono switch on the BP26MC.  The phono section on the BP26P (MM only) is accessed via the source selector dial and the stereo mono switch remains in place.  On the MC it is replaced with a MM/MC switch.

Bill

hi, 95!

ok. cool. i didn't know that.  :thumb:

al.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #28 on: 26 Jul 2009, 08:45 pm »

it's not just the sound of vinyl that turns me on. it's the whole procedure like holding a nice cover in my hands, doing the cleanings, watching the record spinning on that damn good looking turntable...i just like it!

al.

Hello Al,

Interesting comment, the sales rep who was doing the demo for me echoed your thoughts completely - he said it was more of a ritual playing vinyl that made him feel more a part of the music - much more hands on.

Laundrew

hi, Laundrew!

you see...we are not alone!  :green:

al.

rmurray

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jul 2009, 09:00 pm »
I like that about the ritual of cleaning and handling. Being of the old school I would miss the demise of going to a record store and flipping through either cd or lp selections, coming home ,unwrapping and hoping you got a good pressing or transfer. Yes both formats have a lot to offer but at this point in time I object to the vinyl gang unilaterally tearing down the digital world. I am elated that hi-end companies like Bryston has opted for the latter.

1oldguy

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jul 2009, 09:18 pm »
I have heard the BCD-1 and trust me.....I don't feel so bad when putting on a disk.
And lets face it...for most people space is a factor.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #31 on: 26 Jul 2009, 11:06 pm »
I also like the aesthetics of a turntable, it seems as if it is a living machine that produces music. The CD player that I am going to purchase can not aesthetically compare with the mechanical image a turntable
imposes - even though you can see the CD spinning from the top of the player.

I am definitely going to enjoy both formats aa

1oldguy

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jul 2009, 11:10 pm »
I agree that seeing a record spin on a good looking TT is stunning to see.

Laundrew

« Reply #33 on: 26 Jul 2009, 11:29 pm »
I agree that seeing a record spin on a good looking TT is stunning to see.

Aesthetics mean a great deal - provided the sound is awesome (first and foremost). For example, the B&W 802Ds looks and sounds awesome. My JBLs fall into this category, awesome sound and I really enjoy the looks of that huge horn on top of the cabinet :drool:

TC

1oldguy

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jul 2009, 11:53 pm »
Again I agree as well the sound must be the first consideration.But I do admit I like good looking audio gear.That being said everyone has their own version of good looking.Some like the fat chicks and some like the lean.Personally I take an in between.lol :thumb: :green:

rmurray

« Reply #35 on: 27 Jul 2009, 12:11 am »
I a :thumb:gree comletely with all those factors guys, my older JBLs have been fully realized since adding the Bryston amps.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #36 on: 27 Jul 2009, 03:18 am »
A lot of people agrue which is the superior format, which lead me to believe both are superior in their own way.  After I came to that conclusion, I bought a turntable.  My CDP does some things my TT can't do, and vice-versa.  My ultimate thought about the subject...

Why choose when you can have both?

"A wise man never limits his options."
-Chinese Proverb

vegasdave

« Reply #37 on: 28 Jul 2009, 11:32 pm »
Which JBL models do you guys have?

Laundrew

« Reply #38 on: 28 Jul 2009, 11:38 pm »
Which JBL models do you guys have?

JBL Project Array 1400  :D

vegasdave

« Reply #39 on: 28 Jul 2009, 11:43 pm »
Very cool. I would ask how they sound, but I almost know they're fabulous. I'm looking at a pair of restored 4344's from Kenrick Sound in Tokyo.

http://jbl43.com/

I have JBL too...the low level Studio L890. But, it sounds good for such a mass produced speaker. I'm sure the 4BSST Pro has a lot to do with the sound.