Sometimes The Musicians Are Live In The Room/Sometimes It's Just A CD Playing

Lavazza

Hi All,

I know the mind has to believe, you have to be relaxed, the volume has to be right, no noise pollution, etc, etc-but when you get a live show in the room you want it to be a regular gig. Those live shows are too few and far in between.

Here's the question-did those of you using power conditioning find that the performance of your system was much more consistent in delivering those great listening sessions? If I can get amazing sound at times then I'm thinking it's a power thing?

Thanks

LV

DSK

I think you are dead right that the 2 biggest variables (when there are no system changes) being you and the AC quality.

I don't use a lot of AC conditioning (just dedicated lines, a PS Audio Duet on my front end components and excellent AC cords) but it certainly provides a more consistently engaging and lifelike performance. I am readily drawn into the performance and disbelief is suspended on almost all occasions.

Even though it is far more rare now, there is still the odd occasion where I feel detached from the performance, even though it is the same music and volume and no system or room changes have been made. Strangely, it is not necessarily when I am feeling most stressed either.  After such a session I find myself being irritable and stressed until the next listening session when I can reach out and touch the performers. Then, all is well with the world again. Audio Nervosa at its finest.  :roll:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
It is an interesting phenomena - I have also experience that 'this sounds great' to 'turn that crap down'!

I have the advantage now of 3 complete systems so when I get frustrated with system A,  I move to system B or C and usually get pacified.

A change is as good as a rest.

james

jethro

I also find that music sounds best when I am relaxed enough to fall asleep while listening.
I usually listen in the dark with my eyes closed. I put on a CD, fall asleep after 3 songs,
sleep for a while and then I always wake up with 2 or 3 songs left on the CD. While I'm
coming awake those 3 songs sound absolutely wonderful. This works with all types of music for
me. even AC/DC. I really need to make a mixed CD with my favorites at the end.
I'm sure the time for the gear to warm up, and being relaxed make a huge difference for me. Yes - I am weird.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
I also find that music sounds best when I am relaxed enough to fall asleep while listening.
I usually listen in the dark with my eyes closed. I put on a CD, fall asleep after 3 songs,
sleep for a while and then I always wake up with 2 or 3 songs left on the CD. While I'm
coming awake those 3 songs sound absolutely wonderful. This works with all types of music for
me. even AC/DC. I really need to make a mixed CD with my favorites at the end.
I'm sure the time for the gear to warm up, and being relaxed make a huge difference for me. Yes - I am weird.

How do you know its dark if your eyes are closed :lol:

james