RMAF 2010

jsalk

RMAF 2010
« on: 16 Oct 2010, 05:49 pm »
Well, we made it to Denver without incident and are now halfway through the show.

We got the SoundScape 12's set up in the Iris room and have the SongTowers, Veracity HT2-TLs and the HT3's playing in room 2000.

Got a chance to meet a lot of old friends and meet quite a few new ones.

Great show.

- Jim

Saturn94

Re: RMAF 2010
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2010, 08:09 pm »
I look forward to reading about it here. :D

fsimms

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2010, 10:35 pm »
From looking at the pictures of the Iris room Empirical Audio seems to have done an excellent job in treating the room.  Have they been running the SS12’s with the midrange back off or on?   If the back is off, did they need to add stuffing?

How has the Salk/Van Alstine room been sounding compared to previous years?

Bob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2010, 10:45 pm »
So Bob--where are you seeing any coverage of RMAF?  Any pics of the SS12's.  I've never seen them. 

fsimms

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2010, 10:59 pm »
Here is one:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86946.msg849394#msg849394

Bob

Edit:  Here is the best place I have found to keep track of all the various coverages.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=173.0

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2010, 01:30 am »
I am sitting on a plane waiting to fly home to Milwaukee, but let me tell you, the Iris room was awesome! Empirical did a great job treating the room, and Jim's SoundScapes really sang. They were among the top five best speakers at the show, in my opinion. More to come later... Time to fly.

taoggniklat

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2010, 02:26 am »
It was a pleasure to meat Jim and Frank. The Soundscapes were indeed one of the best in the show from what I saw and heard. I did not care for the EA guy running the show in the room, but that is just me.

My favorites of the show were:

Salk
Vandersteen
Acapella
and oddly enough, the J-Corder Analog reel to reel room (not so much for the sound quality but the nastalgia)

Honestly, for the money Salk and AVA is hard to beat. Even my wife agreed. Every system we listened to I asked to have them play Jake Shimabukuro's "While my Guitar Gently Weeps". It was very revealing to hear the difference.

It was alot of fun.
Jared

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2010, 02:33 am »
Hi   I'm happy to hear the SS12's worked out.  And I'm also interested to see that you agreed with me about the Vandy 7's.  Excellent speaker (though 3X the SS12 in $$$$, and 4.8X the SS10.) 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2010, 02:38 am »
Oh-one more thing-did anyone get to hear the Magico's?  They seem to be Stereophile's favorites. 

dwk

« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2010, 02:49 am »
I was on the clock during my visit today and so rushed through everything, but both Salk rooms sounded great IMHO. I heard the HT2-TLs which were excellent, and the Empirical/SS12 room was probably the best that I heard (although I had to cherry-pick what I visited, so there was much I didn't hear).

If only I had a spare bucket of cash sitting around - the HT2-TLs would be staying in Denver; (well, and somewhere to put them, I guess....)

Are the Vandy 7's really that much? I did a drive-by visit and they did sound good, but ~$40k? Yikes.

Saturn94

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2010, 02:51 am »
Can anyone comment on how the Salk HT2-TL compared to the Von Schweikert VR33?

Thanks.

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2010, 04:00 am »
Oh-one more thing-did anyone get to hear the Magico's?  They seem to be Stereophile's favorites.

They were playing a long solo piano piece when I was in the room, it sounded good but hard to make a judgment on one song. Dynamics and tone were excellent, no distortion at realistic volume either.

Wayne

taoggniklat

« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2010, 04:06 am »
Oh ya, I really liked the Zu's and Nola rooms as well.

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2010, 04:14 am »
Can anyone comment on how the Salk HT2-TL compared to the Von Schweikert VR33?

Thanks.

Both are excellent speakers, the 33's are designed to be set up close to the front wall where as the HT2-TL's need space. The 33's have more bass, the Salk's have more detail. I would also say the Salk's have more clarity, the Raal tweeter is just amazing. If you like large scale orchestral pieces and you have a medium to large room then the 33's would work out quite well without a woofer.

Wayne

taoggniklat

« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2010, 05:01 am »
Both are excellent speakers, the 33's are designed to be set up close to the front wall where as the HT2-TL's need space. The 33's have more bass, the Salk's have more detail. I would also say the Salk's have more clarity, the Raal tweeter is just amazing. If you like large scale orchestral pieces and you have a medium to large room then the 33's would work out quite well without a woofer.

Wayne

I agree with Wayne's comments.

Nuance

« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2010, 05:14 am »
The vr33s were so so, but the vr35s were pretty nice. I'd take the HT2s over the VR33s in a heartbeat, and I mostly agree with Wayne's comments.  My best in show were Vandersteen, Dynaudio, Acoustic Zen, Evolution Audio, Linkwitz, Salk, Von Schweikert (only the vr55s), Revel, Daedalus, Emerald Physics and Quad. The Magicos were decent too.

While the sound was world class, nothing beat meeting everyone and putting the names with the faces. It was such a pleasure to get to know everyone. God willing, this is a trip I will make every year from here on out.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2010, 02:55 pm »
Are the Vandy 7's really that much? I did a drive-by visit and they did sound good, but ~$40k? Yikes.

45k to be precise. 

taoggniklat

« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2010, 03:25 pm »
The vr33s were so so, but the vr35s were pretty nice. I'd take the HT2s over the VR33s in a heartbeat, and I mostly agree with Wayne's comments.  My best in show were Vandersteen, Dynaudio, Acoustic Zen, Evolution Audio, Linkwitz, Salk, Von Schweikert (only the vr55s), Revel, Daedalus, Emerald Physics and Quad. The Magicos were decent too.

While the sound was world class, nothing beat meeting everyone and putting the names with the faces. It was such a pleasure to get to know everyone. God willing, this is a trip I will make every year from here on out.

I missed out on meeting some of you I guess. There were so many people it was hard to know who I met sometimes. I was the one with the1 year old girl if anyone saw me.

Saturn94

« Reply #18 on: 17 Oct 2010, 05:54 pm »

Wayne
I agree with Wayne's comments.

Thanks for the great feedback. :)

HerculePirate

« Reply #19 on: 19 Oct 2010, 02:56 am »