Salk HT2's versus Dali Helicon 400's

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Re: Salk HT2's versus Dali Helicon 400's
« Reply #40 on: 16 Oct 2007, 07:36 pm »
My reaction to the SongTowers.

I love them, awesome "little" speakers.  We used them quite a lot at the RMAF and they did not shrink in comparison with the HT3s.  Only differences were less bass "balls" and not quite as high a resolution overall, but still darned good.  We could have left the HT3s at home and ran the whole show with a set of SongTowers and I still would have been happy that we had done an excellent presentation.

To my ear, speakers either have the "magic" or they do not, and I normally hear that in the first few notes played.  The SongTowers definitely have it.

The set we used were done in Rosewood and were more than beautiful.  Jim said about $300 extra for rosewood.  I would have been first in line with an order if I did not already have two sets of HT3s.

Highly recommended.

Frank Van Alstine

fsimms

« Reply #41 on: 16 Oct 2007, 11:47 pm »
To my ear, speakers either have the "magic" or they do not, and I normally hear that in the first few notes played.  The SongTowers definitely have it.

Some of the "magic" of the SongTowers were certainly due to your fine Ultra amps!  Well done!

Brucemck

« Reply #42 on: 17 Oct 2007, 10:42 pm »
Rydenfan, don't know if you're still up in the air, and I haven't heard the 400s, but I have owned a LOT of different speakers (big B&Ws, Dunlavy's, big Infinity's, top of the line Krell's, Tyler Acoustics, among others) and can tell you that the HT2s are pretty special: image like champs, an amazing lack of "compression", terrific detail, and in my room pretty solid bass.  While I augment them with monster subs, but for most music could easily get by without the subs.