Headed to Capital Audio Fest with these...

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Headed to Capital Audio Fest with these...
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jul 2013, 02:59 am »
MMM - then maybe a suitably stoic new england piano gloss white or black........

Anyway - congratulations also on the new towers + Philharmonitor, both over-achievers.  If I didn't have speakers dropping down around my ears already......but will definitely be on my personal recommend list to friends.

Mudslide

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2013, 03:27 am »
MMM - then maybe a suitably stoic new england piano gloss white or black........

Anyway - congratulations also on the new towers + Philharmonitor, both over-achievers.  If I didn't have speakers dropping down around my ears already......but will definitely be on my personal recommend list to friends.

Ah, c'mon, those Bostons are begging to be retired!  And the Slims fit into a 100 sq/ft room just dandy.   :wink:

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jul 2013, 03:49 am »
Ah, c'mon, those Bostons are begging to be retired!  And the Slims fit into a 100 sq/ft room just dandy.   :wink:

It's a good thing I'm in process of a move, otherwise I may have had to consider those slims as I have a room in the new place where they would go nicely.  The Soundscape 8s were really great.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #23 on: 30 Jul 2013, 03:58 am »

:lol: those are the actual first quasi hifi speakers I ever owned - and the Sansui a lower end version of what I used to drive them.  Pure nostalgia.  DM's Philharmonitor would outclass them so far it would make it cry a tweeter away (and they are delicate things having already blown two over time).  Come to think of it, I neglected to put speakers in the dinning room + kitchen.......

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2013, 12:59 pm »
:lol: those are the actual first quasi hifi speakers I ever owned - and the Sansui a lower end version of what I used to drive them.  Pure nostalgia.  DM's Philharmonitor would outclass them so far it would make it cry a tweeter away (and they are delicate things having already blown two over time).  Come to think of it, I neglected to put speakers in the dinning room + kitchen.......

Don't forget the bathroom :green:

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #25 on: 30 Jul 2013, 08:58 pm »
Art  Dudley of Stereophile quote:

"It appeared that the Philharmonic design team shared some members with that of the Salk Sound loudspeakers on display in the next room over; with respect, I vastly preferred the former, finding the latter somewhat fatiguing. "

I do not believe I have ever heard anyone refer about any Salk Speaker as sounding that way ???

JonnyFive

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jul 2013, 09:02 pm »
I do not believe I have ever heard anyone refer about any Salk Speaker as sounding that way ???

That quotation was pretty striking to me too.  I think we file this alongside Jim's "limited finish options."  Lol :)

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #27 on: 30 Jul 2013, 09:51 pm »
Yeah, I read that as well & was quite surprised.  I attribute it to the older you get, the less tolerant you become of anything that might be on the more analytical side, particularly the more you listen to + seek out warm gear.  I'm very slowly heading that direction, but the Veracity's were in no way harsh or fatiguing (you could even argue that the SEAS drivers maybe too warm), and the Soundscape 8's w/ the right material is the closest thing I've heard to a good planar / electrostatic but also giving you that nice low end meat.  If you run some crappy shrill track through it, that's what you'll get, but I never heard such played in the times I was there.

Thanks be that there are places now such as here where those who spent more than 5 minutes can counterbalance.

pelliott321

« Reply #28 on: 31 Jul 2013, 12:50 pm »
I too felt that the ribbon tweeters called too much attention to themselves

fsimms

« Reply #29 on: 31 Jul 2013, 01:35 pm »
Here are more complete comments on the Salk room.  (last one on page)

Salk Room

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #30 on: 31 Jul 2013, 04:17 pm »
Interestingly enough, the just mentioned Audioholics write up of both Jim's room and the Philharmonic room never mentioned what electronics were in use.  I assume they feel that speakers magically and mystically just drive themselves, or that all the speakers were self powered all the way back to the invisible source.

In case anyone cares, Jim was using our Fet Valve 600R hybrid power amp and a Wavelength DAC that had a built in volume control and his streamer.  Dennis was using a CD player as a transport, an AVA Fet Valve DAC, Fet Valve and new Transcendence 9 preamps, and either an AVA Fet Valve 600R amplifier or Synergy 450 amplifier along with our new ABX switcher.

Frank Van Alstine

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #31 on: 31 Jul 2013, 04:22 pm »
Interestingly enough, the just mentioned Audioholics write up of both Jim's room and the Philharmonic room never mentioned what electronics were in use.  I assume they feel that speakers magically and mystically just drive themselves, or that all the speakers were self powered all the way back to the invisible source.

In case anyone cares, Jim was using our Fet Valve 600R hybrid power amp and a Wavelength DAC that had a built in volume control and his streamer.  Dennis was using a CD player as a transport, an AVA Fet Valve DAC, Fet Valve and new Transcendence 9 preamps, and either an AVA Fet Valve 600R amplifier or Synergy 450 amplifier along with our new ABX switcher.

Frank Van Alstine

Yup - is it just me or has this year's show coverage been particularly sparse and lazy - despite ad hominem comments that this has been one of the most successful attendance-wise. Guess we got to let the press catch up.

Phil A

« Reply #32 on: 31 Jul 2013, 05:14 pm »

Frank Van Alstine

I labeled the pictures in my Gallery with at least the main vendors in a room, and while not aware of the exact models used, at least someone can ask.

Salk  - AVA

Philharmonic - AVA

fsimms

« Reply #33 on: 31 Jul 2013, 05:30 pm »
Thanks Phil!

I loved the pictures in your Gallery.  Especially in the huge mode!  :thumb:

Bob