OK - what are RCA caps/plugs supposed to do?

charmerci

OK - what are RCA caps/plugs supposed to do?
« on: 20 Aug 2018, 10:17 pm »
So I finally remembered and about a bunch of RCA caps to plug up the 16 unused RCA outputs inputs on my Odyssey Tempest pre-amp. (They are the only ones open in my stereo.)

I've only listened to it at a somewhat low/medium volume so far. As far as I can tell, it seems to have softened up the high frequencies a bit.

:popcorn:

Edit after next post - is it plugs?
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2018, 07:31 pm by charmerci »

artur9

Re: OK - what are RCA caps supposed to do?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2018, 11:00 pm »
That's interesting.  I always wanted a set just to make all the ports look tidier and to keep the dust out.

charmerci

Re: OK - what are RCA caps supposed to do?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2018, 11:28 pm »
That's interesting.  I always wanted a set just to make all the ports look tidier and to keep the dust out.

IDK, maybe I goofed and was supposed to get plugs?

Could be that there is not really a difference.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

charmerci

Re: OK - what are RCA caps/plugs supposed to do?
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2018, 11:57 pm »
Thanks.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2018, 01:17 am »
Electrically (signal & interference wise) they don't do anything.  But they look neat and keep the chassis jacks from tarnishing.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2018, 05:19 am »
it depends on which ones you get, some just keep the dust out while others (shorting plugs) stop interference from coming in thru the unused ports.
here are the ones I use.  they also make one for digital inputs.
https://highend-electronics.com/products/highend-electronics-analog-terminator-shorties

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2018, 05:41 am »
So I finally remembered and about a bunch of RCA caps to plug up the 16 unused RCA outputs on my Odyssey Tempest pre-amp. (They are the only ones open in my stereo.)

I've only listened to it at a somewhat low/medium volume so far. As far as I can tell, it seems to have softened up the high frequencies a bit.

:popcorn:

Edit after next post - is it plugs?

You posted putting them on the outputs of the pre amp but if they are shorting plugs they should NEVER go on the outputs, only on the inputs. 

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2018, 09:47 am »
You posted putting them on the outputs of the pre amp but if they are shorting plugs they should NEVER go on the outputs, only on the inputs.

Yup, my mistake. Inputs, that's what I meant.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2018, 11:02 am »
charmerci,

Some clarification is in order.

Can you post a picture of the device you are talking about? Whether it is an RCA “cap” or an RCA “shorting plug” makes all the difference.

Best,
Anand.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2018, 12:07 pm »
They don't stop any real world interference.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2018, 12:24 pm »
In poorly built gear (that's prone to RF or tarnishing) they might make a difference.  But some may want to 'dress up' their setup (like adding extra chrome to a car) in which case they should spend $30/pair for Audio Quest caps/plugs.   :roll:

Caps (for outputs) lack the inner post (like an RCA plug) that the plugs (for inputs) have. 

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2018, 12:36 pm »
Most, if not all selector switches short out the unused positions and hence, the RCA jacks corresponding to them. The caps will do nothing.

charmerci

« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2018, 07:11 pm »
charmerci,

Some clarification is in order.

Can you post a picture of the device you are talking about? Whether it is an RCA “cap” or an RCA “shorting plug” makes all the difference.

Best,
Anand.

What happened was that I was looking at plugs on ebay and in the heat of the moment of online shopping, I bought caps. I'm in the process of returning them.

charmerci

« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2018, 07:13 pm »
In poorly built gear (that's prone to RF or tarnishing) they might make a difference.  But some may want to 'dress up' their setup (like adding extra chrome to a car) in which case they should spend $30/pair for Audio Quest caps/plugs.   :roll:

Caps (for outputs) lack the inner post (like an RCA plug) that the plugs (for inputs) have.

There's a lot of radio signals where I am. When I plug my computer speakers into my laptop and no signal is going through, I can faintly hear a radio station coming through.

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2018, 07:19 pm »
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112646.0

It is a good thing that I did buy caps. I read this and I didn't think about the tape output! I probably would have ruiuned my pre-amp!  :duh:

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 21 Aug 2018, 08:37 pm »
So now my question is - because I'm on a budget. Can I buy these?

Or as the other thread said, do they need to have the resistor (470 ohm) inside? On these threads, this seems to be the only one available that don't cost an arm and a leg.
https://www.takefiveaudio.com/products/1416-rca-input-shorting-plugs/

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #17 on: 21 Aug 2018, 09:05 pm »
I have used the Oyaide WMA-RC products on everything for about 5 years.  They are a medium density plastic/vinyl cap with an RFI shield type of composite on the back.   They are not quite "soft" but they do "snug down" on the RCA socket.  They Do keep dust out and I suspect they perform RFI noise reduction and anti vibration (as they claim).  I can't confirm this but I do think they offer more "potential" benefits than some other products I have seen, and used.  I don't feel like they negatively influence the components and use them on sources, preamp and amp RCA connectors as I run XLR generally. 

charmerci

« Reply #18 on: 25 Aug 2018, 01:45 am »
Bump - anyone else on these last three choices?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #19 on: 25 Aug 2018, 06:38 am »
When I made mine I used the resister, I have no idea if it makes a difference. I do know that if you are trying to protect against RFI/EMI you need to buy shorting plugs not just plastic plugs.

How many are you looking for? I may have some around here but would have to look.

Greg