VPI tables...Scout w/ JMW-9 vs Aries w/ JMW10

Sonny

« on: 25 Oct 2005, 04:22 pm »
Hi there, I am considering upgrading from a VPI Scout to the Aries and was wondering if anyone out there as any advice for me regarding the two tables...
Thanks in advance!!!
S

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2005, 04:41 pm »
I do not have any info on what you asked for...sorry.

As long as you are looking to upgrade, you might want to look at the tables from www.teresaudio.com

You should also do a search here and on AA regarding them.

Sonny

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2005, 04:44 pm »
Quote from: Marbles

As long as you are looking to upgrade, you might want to look at the tables from www.teresaudio.com

Thanks Marbles, but I think the Teres is out of my range...its nice, but it will run me about $4000 or so...right?

do you have a teres table?

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2005, 04:50 pm »
Quote from: Sonny

Thanks Marbles, but I think the Teres is out of my range...its nice, but it will run me about $4000 or so...right?

do you have a teres table?

With a great arm and cart, yes.

I do have a Teres..there are pictures of it in my gallery.

The 160 (lead loaded platter) will set you back about $2250 plus arm and cart.

He has a scratch and dent on some bases that can get you in the 255 for $2650 (lead loaded platter and base) plus arm and cart.

You might want to talk to Chris to see what he can do for you...wouldn't hurt.  He sometimes has prototypes etc..that he will sell reasonably.

Sonny

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2005, 04:58 pm »
With a great arm and cart, yes.

I do have a Teres..there are pictures of it in my gallery.

The 160 (lead loaded platter) will set you back about $2250 plus arm and cart.

He has a scratch and dent on some bases that can get you in the 255 for $2650 (lead loaded platter and base) plus arm and cart.

You might want to talk to Chris to see what he can do for you...wouldn't hurt.  He sometimes has prototypes etc..that he will sell reasonably.

Thanks Marbles...i'll talk to him and see....

Kulamata

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2005, 03:10 am »
I just bought a Scout.  Benz Glider II Low O/P is not fully broken in yet, and the preamp is now clearly in need of an upgrade.  However, with those caveats, the Scout is very good.  It is mounted on a marble pastry "board" which is on a damped chimney flue pillar on a concrete slab floor, in the next room.  I think the vibration isolation is one reason the Scout seems to be working out so well.  

I bought the Scout after reading Anthony Cordesman's review; see the VPI site for a link.  He is, as ever, very sensible.  His basic point is that after the Scout you are getting well into diminishing returns.  Comparing as best as I can remember to my (expired a bit back) Oracle Delphi II with ET 2 linear arm, I'd agree with AC.  I strongly suspect that you'd get more for your money by staying with the Scout and putting the difference into records (!) or cartridge or preamp.