"Apple" Scam Alert!

RPM123

"Apple" Scam Alert!
« on: 14 Feb 2019, 04:44 pm »
Thought I would share this. The other day, my phone rang and the caller ID read, "Apple Technical Support", so I picked up and someone said that they were from  Apple Customer Service and that my iCloud account had been hacked. The person then told me to hang on and I would be transferred to the technical support service where I would be instructed on what to do. (I have confess that at this point I was under the impression that the call was legitimate.)

Then another person (female) came on stating that they were part of "technical support" and that I needed to take certain steps. Fortunately, this person had a very thick accent (not sure what country) and I couldn't fully understand what she was saying, all the while thinking, here is another Apple outsourcing situation. When I stated that I could not understand what was being said and to please repeat it, the line went silent.

Of course now I was suspicious and I contacted Apple Support immediately. I was told that Apple had been receiving many inquiries about these phishing calls. I was also told that Apple never calls anyone about personal security breaches. Typically, they would text the individual followed by an email.

So, beware.

Don_S

Re: "Apple" Scam Alert!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2019, 05:30 pm »
I have been reporting robo and scam calls here.  donotcall.gov/

Your phone number has to have been on the list for a specified number of days.  I think it is 30. When you fill out the form to report robo/scam calls, etc. you will need to report the number they called from and the date/time.

So far it seems like a futile exercise but it makes me feel better.  I wonder how Don Quixote felt?

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2019, 05:49 pm »
Quit trying to fix the world, it's too big a place!  :green:

Gene

jriggy

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2019, 06:29 pm »
Thought I would share this. The other day, my phone rang and the caller ID read, "Apple Technical Support", so I picked up and someone said that they were from  Apple Customer Service and that my iCloud account had been hacked. The person then told me to hang on and I would be transferred to the technical support service where I would be instructed on what to do. (I have confess that at this point I was under the impression that the call was legitimate.)

Then another person (female) came on stating that they were part of "technical support" and that I needed to take certain steps. Fortunately, this person had a very thick accent (not sure what country) and I couldn't fully understand what she was saying, all the while thinking, here is another Apple outsourcing situation. When I stated that I could not understand what was being said and to please repeat it, the line went silent.

Of course now I was suspicious and I contacted Apple Support immediately. I was told that Apple had been receiving many inquiries about these phishing calls. I was also told that Apple never calls anyone about personal security breaches. Typically, they would text the individual followed by an email.

So, beware.

What if they did not have a thick accent? Or what if she did repeat her statements?
Please dont EVER believe these type of calls.
Any further questions, ask your grandkids. ;)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2019, 06:46 pm »
An Icloud service is not an ideal safe way to stor data, sooner or later it will be hacked or data can be sold to third parties as FB does.

mav52

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2019, 06:49 pm »
donotcall.gov/ is a waste of time. I've been on that list for years and still get the calls from the same stupid people and the new recent ones that say, DON'T HANG UP', when you answer.   I can't believe our lame government will not crack down on this.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2019, 07:09 pm »
I quit answering calls that wernt in my address book about a year ago.

Sometimes if i am bored i will work on my Klingon or some throat singing :scratch:

Alan

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2019, 08:05 pm »
I've gotten a couple recently and the girl says this is about my student loan. I'm retired and 73 years old!  :thumb:

Gene

Mike B.

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2019, 02:03 am »
I just let calls from unfamiliar numbers go to answering service. It is a shame there are so many people trying to take advantage of others.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2019, 02:36 am »
I just let calls from unfamiliar numbers go to answering service. It is a shame there are so many people trying to take advantage of others.

Obviously it's working or it wouldn't exist, right?

Gene