My Harman (JBL M2) Trip

Folsom

Re: My Harman (JBL M2) Trip
« Reply #300 on: 18 May 2017, 04:14 pm »
If there's one dislike, it would be that I'm not able to turn them off and they keep me up waaay too late.   I seriously need to do a better job at going to :sleep:

That I can understand. It seems like I get the itch to start rolling through LP's in the evening and all of sudden I'm racing for bed hoping I can fall asleep faster than I will :lol:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #301 on: 19 May 2017, 12:38 am »
I confirmed that the speakers are crossing at the correct distance behind me as per JBL. 

Then it was time to install the new DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables.  Really nice Mini spades on the amp end and pins on the speakers.  Perfect! 

Folsom

« Reply #302 on: 19 May 2017, 05:59 am »
For all the engineering efforts, JBL/Crown could go a little farther on the connector side. In a perfect world you set it and done but... even in the pro world that's the dream, not the reality. They could learn something from some of the audio connector companies that have made hand tightening into wrench tight quality. That or just use Speakons... I guess on the flip side you end up with some nice looking cables!

That setup is heaven for the nerd that loves to fiddle with endless little tweaks of settings.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #303 on: 19 May 2017, 12:34 pm »
For all the engineering efforts, JBL/Crown could go a little farther on the connector side. In a perfect world you set it and done but... even in the pro world that's the dream, not the reality. They could learn something from some of the audio connector companies that have made hand tightening into wrench tight quality. That or just use Speakons... I guess on the flip side you end up with some nice looking cables!

That setup is heaven for the nerd that loves to fiddle with endless little tweaks of settings.
The DCi is an install series amp which means it's meant for a studio not traveling.  Some of the other amps such as the I Tech have your usual connectors on the back.  Since I don't play the cable merry go around I really don't care.  The amp even comes with the Phoenix Connectors for the input cables.  As I've said before, this system is the anti-audiophile system and it's not meant for someone who doesn't want to have to learn a little and read instructions.  Their market is are the Pro guys who know what to expect and know how to use the equipment.  It's not hard but patience and some thinking is required.  I figured I'd post all this stuff to make it easier should someone decide to go down this path there's a photo library to see. 

Nick77

« Reply #304 on: 19 May 2017, 12:37 pm »
So are the speakers immune to speaker cables or were the Q-10's a nice addition?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #305 on: 19 May 2017, 12:40 pm »
So are the speakers immune to speaker cables or were the Q-10's a nice addition?
The new cables work as expected.  I don't chase cables and really just wanted well built cables with proper terminals.  That's it. 

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #306 on: 19 May 2017, 04:27 pm »
I'm curious what the market split for the M2 is between pro and consumers.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #307 on: 19 May 2017, 05:13 pm »
I'm curious what the market split for the M2 is between pro and consumers.
No idea but I'd guess it's 90% for pro based on my conversations with JBL. 

Folsom

« Reply #308 on: 19 May 2017, 10:07 pm »
They didn't have any trouble taking your money.... where the cash flows they will go. If someone is an audiophile and they want a pro setup, it's the perfect product; same if a pro needs a great setup.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #309 on: 19 May 2017, 10:18 pm »
They didn't have any trouble taking your money.... where the cash flows they will go. If someone is an audiophile and they want a pro setup, it's the perfect product; same if a pro needs a great setup.
Huh?  Never said they wouldn't sell to a consumer just like me.  :scratch:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #310 on: 20 May 2017, 12:37 am »
Since most of you guys are into cables here's one for you.   :lol:   Yep, needed a longer power cord so I went back into the stash and grabbed the DH Labs Red Wave and replaced the 15A end to 20A and now I'm good.  I only have two A/C power cords in my system.  One to power the DCi and one to power the Vinnie Rossi MINI which powers the Mytek Brooklyn Dac and sMS-200 via 12Vdc.  Sexy ass IEC connector huh? 

Delivering pristine 122VAC to the Crown DCi

Folsom

« Reply #311 on: 20 May 2017, 01:48 am »
Huh?  Never said they wouldn't sell to a consumer just like me.  :scratch:

Sometimes the marketing pitch is that something was made for another purpose. I bet JBL was like... meh, everyone will buy it!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #312 on: 20 May 2017, 01:52 am »
Sometimes the marketing pitch is that something was made for another purpose. I bet JBL was like... meh, everyone will buy it!
Considering their majority of a dealer network; I'd disagree.  Do I think that they know people that are serious about science that understand it will buy it?  Yes for sure. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #313 on: 20 May 2017, 02:18 am »
Cuz I like to know all the details.  Here is the SPL and Current draw of this amp while playing.  On turn on, the amp did draw just over 7A @ 122VAC. 

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #314 on: 20 May 2017, 02:58 am »
Can you illuminate the science regarding the IEC 20A plug on your PC? I've never understood.

Considering their majority of a dealer network; I'd disagree.  Do I think that they know people that are serious about science that understand it will buy it?  Yes for sure.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #315 on: 20 May 2017, 11:35 am »
Can you illuminate the science regarding the IEC 20A plug on your PC? I've never understood.
It's all about current draw.  The below chart is from the Crown DCi manual and shows current draw based on the level of power output of the amp.  As soon as I started doing research and I saw that the amps had 20A IEC connectors on them I started doing research on this topic as I didn't know if my rental could support the required electrical needs.  After looking at the manual in this section I knew I'd be fine. 

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #316 on: 20 May 2017, 05:45 pm »
Thanks, so for 8 ohm speakers kept at levels below clipping a 15 amp connector has adequate capacity?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #317 on: 20 May 2017, 05:52 pm »
Thanks, so for 8 ohm speakers kept at levels below clipping a 15 amp connector has adequate capacity?
Yes, remember at 1/3 of output of this amp you will have hearing damage in the typical home setting.  It's not really the connector per se since the amp has a 20A IEC Inlet.  You have to have a 20A IEC connector on the power cord. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #318 on: 22 May 2017, 02:03 am »
I have started baseline measurements. 

Just waiting on my Funk Audio 21.0LX subs to arrive. 

They use the UH21v1 drivers

« Last Edit: 22 May 2017, 02:43 pm by jtwrace »

lowtech

« Reply #319 on: 22 May 2017, 03:37 am »
I have started baseline measurements. 

I'll bite.  Why do you need a nearfield measurement?