Max Power for Super 3i's

Nidri17

Max Power for Super 3i's
« on: 19 Jul 2018, 04:49 am »
I'm currently running my Super 3i's with a 6WPC SET amp (custom 6L6 design).
They're sounding great, but I wanted to experiment with a different, more powerful amp.
Is the Copland CSA-14 (hybrid valve/SS design) at 60WPC safe to use with the Super 3i's?

nature boy

Re: Max Power for Super 3i's
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2018, 11:37 am »
Yes.

NB

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2018, 11:48 am »
Although they sounded better with a 4 watt Bottlehead Seductor, I used a 115 watt SS amp with my Super 3is for a bit. No problem at all.

Nidri17

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2018, 12:45 pm »
Thank you, I'll give it a try.

OzarkTom

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2018, 01:56 pm »
Usually the lower watt amps sounds more refine and transparent.

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2018, 04:15 pm »
Unless you plan on cranking the amp to it's rated 60 watts, you won't have any problem. The drivers would distort and likely blow up or blow your eardrums well before you hit that point. You can hook up a 1000 Watt amp to the Omegas, as long as you're only using a few of those watts.

I'll echo that low power amps (class A, SS and tube) have returned the most consistently good results for me with the various Omegas I've owned.

But, if you've got the $ to experiment, just do it. Learning what works best for you only comes with experience.

As a general observation, I've found that class A/B amps don't tend to "open up" and sound their best unless they're pushed a little bit, ie beyond their first few watts for regular playback levels (maybe 10% of their rated output or so). Class D, like Class A, seem to have a consistent output quality until they are pushed near their limits. Again, these are my general observations, not a rule by any means.
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2018, 09:43 pm by RDavidson »

Nidri17

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2019, 06:24 pm »
As a general observation, I've found that class A/B amps don't tend to "open up" and sound their best unless they're pushed a little bit, ie beyond their first few watts for regular playback levels (maybe 10% of their rated output or so). Class D, like Class A, seem to have a consistent output quality until they are pushed near their limits. Again, these are my general observations, not a rule by any means.

My experience can now confirm this.

Class AB amps (Copland CSA-14, Atoll MA-100) work just fine, but doesn't bring the best out of the Super 3i's.
Single-ended Class A (both custom 6L6 tube amp and Valvet SS monoblocks) however makes them sing.

I was quite surprised how well they play with a simple Tripath design though (Amptastic Mini1 - from the UK).
Some loss of low-end but truly magical in the midrange.

These Omegas are something else indeed.