12V trigger expander?

brj

12V trigger expander?
« on: 21 Mar 2021, 07:26 pm »
Hi all.

Is anyone aware of a 12V trigger expander that offers more outputs than the Emotiva ET-3?

Ideally, I'd like at least 7 outputs.

(I could jury-rig something with multiple ET-3s and some splitters, but I'm trying to make my system neater, not messier!)

Thanks!

brj

Re: 12V trigger expander?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2021, 07:07 pm »
Still looking, if anyone has a suggestion.  Thanks!

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2021, 10:15 pm »
This is a tough one. If  a unit exists it is not obvious to the internet (e.g. search engines). It appears that building your own may be the only choice. This thread may help.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/building-an-ir-12v-trigger-controller.2377538/

Conceptually what you want to do is very straightforward if you can find the hardware to do it. I am not familiar with the signal protocol. Is the voltage on the trigger out a steady 12 volts as long as the 'sending' unit is powered on and 0 volts when it off?

If yes. you you need to find a board that can use a 12 volt input signal to tell 7+ channels to output 12 volts when given 12 volts appears on each input.

One of these links may eventually lead you to a design solution.

https://www.sainsmart.com/products/16-channel-12v-relay-module

https://www.amazon.com/Aceirmc-16-Channel-Interface-Optocoupler-Arduino/dp/B081SSGYXL

Good luck.

brj

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2021, 11:20 pm »
Thanks, Doublej!

I'd actually already started looking at something DIY.  Within 20 minutes of my last post, I had an 8 channel 12V relay module and some jacks on order. :)

I picked up an inexpensive single channel linear, variable lab power supply recently, so I can use that to inject the output power @ 12V while I experiment, and then go dig something out of the junk drawer to use more permanently if it all works, as well as order a project case.  (I always tended to keep wall warts from defunct electronics if they feel heavy enough to have a transformer in them.)  If my few minutes of research pans out, I think it's mostly going to come down to tying all of the relay coils together on the same 12V input in a reliable manner - and making sure the draw of those 8 coils is within the range of what my source trigger can provide.  (I'll have to pop the cover on my pre-amp and look at the relay it uses on the 12V trigger output.)

As far as I've seen, most 12V audio-video triggers are non-latching, i.e. the gear receiving the trigger stays powered only as long as 12VDC is sensed on the input from the source of the trigger, and the trigger receiving components only tends to draw in the mA range.  I can't say I've dug deeply enough into it to make that a categorical statement, however, and I will have some long runs to accommodate.

Good link - I hadn't found that one.  Thanks!