Bad Company

mcullinan

Bad Company
« on: 26 Jun 2008, 04:08 pm »
I love fps and this is a keeper. Im just playing single player right now, but what a joy it tis to blow off half a building. I think the sound effects of the guns is much more realistic than other war shooters. Great control, lots of weapons and goodies. Fun. I will start playing multiplayer soon.
What do you think?
Mike

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Bad Company
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2008, 04:14 pm »
I've had my eye on this game. How's the rear surround effects and LFE's? What about the overall video quality (realism) compaired to something like Ghost Recon AWF?

Bob

mcullinan

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2008, 04:20 pm »
The graphics are good, but not at the level of say COD4. Ive never seen Ghost Recon on the 360 so I cant compare. Also I have a 2 way sound system so not sure about the surround effects either.

I have played Ghost Recon on the Mac though and its a lot of fun!
Mike

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2008, 04:26 pm »
Well, you're about useless to me then Mike.
I can't believe you call yourself a gamer with channels dude. You should be ashamed.  :wink: :P

I've got COD3 on 360, but not four. No idea what a Mac looks like as I'm allergic to Apples.

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2008, 04:32 pm »
Well, you're about useless to me then Mike.
I can't believe you call yourself a gamer with ONLY (2) channels dude. You should be ashamed.  :wink: :P

I've got COD3 on 360, but not four. No idea what a Mac looks like as I'm allergic to Apples.

Bob

EDIT: since I forgot to attach a number to exactly how FEW channels he's running.  :wink:

EDIT #2: Apparently I clicked reply instead of modify and can't delete this post.  :scratch:

IronLion

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2008, 04:40 pm »
Bob, download the demo from the Xbox Live marketplace, I've been playing it for a little while now but haven't jumped for the full game.  My impressions are the single player is OK, but the multiplayer is definitely where its at, its a lot of fun.  The graphics, as mentioned, aren't spectacular, but the scale of the multiplayer makes up for it, and the game marches on without dropping frames even when a helicopter flies into a tank right in front of you and the two both shoot at the same time and blowup.  :lol:  The sound effects to my ear lack a bit of immediacy.  There is a great focus on the sounds of the weapons in relation to the space they're being fired in, but I think there should be a slightly more overall in your face kind of sound to the weapons you fire.  Overall though the scale of the game is reinforced by the sound and the gameplay itself (multiplayer) is pretty addictive with all the different classes and unlockable weapons.   

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2008, 04:53 pm »
Cool Mr. lion, good to hear.
I especially like what you said about "focus on the sounds of the weapons in relation to the space they're being fired in", that does help the realism quite a bit compaired to FPS's in years past.
I've got dial-up, so no downloads, no demos, no multiplayer, and no "LIVE Marketplace". I have to get the update by paying Microsoft $2 and have a CD mailed to me :evil: :cry:
Basically I'm forced to sit at home and play with myself.  :lol:

I'm looking for a FPS that makes extensive use of LFE's and rear surrounds. I'd like to hear the grass crunch as somebody is sneeking up on me from behind, and the walls shake when bombs explode. That would be super cool.  :icon_twisted:

Bob

IronLion

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2008, 04:57 pm »
Oh man.  Well, as someone who is also doing their gaming over 2 channels (with my MW Transporter as the DAC  8)), I have to say that, I may be missing out on some sonic aspects of the gaming experience with a multi-channel setup, but you are most definitely missing out on the most enjoyable aspect of gaming in my opinion: the multiplayer experience.  Nothing like running around in a battlefield full of other people, or better yet, guiding a virtual guided missile onto their tank to save the day.  :D  Get DSL or something!  You are seriously missing out!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2008, 05:15 pm »
Yea,....I know.....I know.....  :duh: I've been FIGHTING with the local highspeed carrier/provider (AT&T) and they keep telling me highspeed isn't available in my area. This, dispite the fact the house across the street has a packaged bundle with highspeed internet, telephone, and TV service. They say I'm 23,000 feet from the nearest (thing) and I must be within 20,000 feet to receive it. My neighbors house is 200 feet from me and AT&T knows this. They say it isn't possible for my nieghbor to have it. I've since aquired a copy of my neighbors statement with confirmation numbers on it. I can't believe it's this hard to get a company to take $100 a month from me....forever. :roll:

Bob

mcullinan

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2008, 05:18 pm »
I got the game yesterday and wanted to learn the controls a bit before diving into multiplayer, but MP is definitely where Its a happenin. The speed, the fury of trying to stay alive, thinking strategy, is the best. I cant much talk to the 14 year olds though...
:)
Mike

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2008, 05:29 pm »
I cant much talk to the 14 year olds though...
At a buddies house a few years back I played some kind of a futuristic aircraft game on XBox LIVE. It was a trip hearing all these kids half my age talkin' smack.  :lol:

"You fly like like S*** you stupid F****er"....  :o

Bob

mcullinan

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2008, 05:33 pm »
i know.. lol.
What kind of saddens me a bit though is the amount of racism I hear there. Im like What ! is this 2008?? These kids are so young you know its the parents just passin the hate ball along.

Ive heard some of the World of Warcraft conversations on youtube and frankly they are hilarious! Ill throw in a few strategy comments now and then, but Im always afraid of being singled out as the old dood, like a scene out of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
Mike

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 26 Jun 2008, 05:38 pm »
That's sad. I didn't hear any racism, just a LOT of cussing. Which is sad in it's own way, but kinda funny at the same time.

IronLion

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jun 2008, 05:40 pm »
There is SO much racism on Xbox Live, most notably on Grand Theft Auto IV online.  Maybe its the urban setting of the game, but its really, angering, frustrating, and sad to hear some of these little kids say the things they say online to a bunch of complete strangers. 

mcullinan

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jun 2008, 05:42 pm »
Yeah cussin doesnt bother me....
Anyways... the single player isnt that bad and its probably worth playing. The characters have a lot of banter and you actually have to have some skill, its not just button mashing, to stay alive.
Mike

mcullinan

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2008, 03:07 pm »
Ok Played multiplayer last night.. Theeeee Booooomb! More of that Unreal Tornament tension when trying to protect the gold, and I like the maps compared to COD 4, which can be a little closed in, or too big, they just feel a bit off. FUn gameplay. I feel hours of lost time coming up!!!
Mike