SINGLE NEO-10 APPLICATIONS

AUDFILE74

SINGLE NEO-10 APPLICATIONS
« on: 5 Dec 2011, 08:41 pm »
 I was wondering what is the best applications for a single neo10?

Danny Richie

Re: SINGLE NEO-10 APPLICATIONS
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2011, 09:09 pm »
It must be used in a three way design crossing no lower than 200Hz. This can be sealed box or open baffle.

I have one of each in the works.

AUDFILE74

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2011, 10:49 pm »
okay, thanks

Raiderone

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2011, 06:26 am »
It must be used in a three way design crossing no lower than 200Hz. This can be sealed box or open baffle.

I have one of each in the works.

Any teasers or eta?  Thanks.

Remlab

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2011, 08:44 am »
You might want to check mine out.

Remlab

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2011, 09:02 am »

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2011, 02:34 am »
Count me as curious regarding the sealed box design.  I remember reading the OB version was being put together with three OB 8" servo subs per side.  Is the sealed box version being designed similarly using the servo subs sealed, 3-way full range passive design, or something else?

studiotech

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2011, 06:03 am »
Remlab, that is sweet!  Tell us more....

Greg

Remlab

« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2011, 01:55 am »
There's a pretty good description in the "systems" section. I will be glad to answer any other questions. One thing I didn't mention was the pre-made "sub woofer baffle" speaker bases. I got the idea after trying out end grain cutting boards. The sub woofer baffles were a much better match. The most important aspect of the design though is the modular concept. You can fine tune any one aspect of the design without having to start all over. At first It was an all peerless system with sealed mids and highs. I later decided that BG mids and highs in a dipole configuration would be the best approach. They are amazing and unique transducers.. Especially for the money!

Remlab

« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2011, 02:01 am »
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2011, 10:12 pm by Remlab »

Remlab

« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2011, 02:04 am »
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2011, 10:13 pm by Remlab »

d888sp4

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2015, 01:39 pm »

Hi,
I have a pair of NEO10 and NEO3, so I interested to build a mid-high unit.
Can you tell me more details about your project (crossover schema and other...) ?

Thanks.
Regards.

Carlo Alberto

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2015, 11:17 pm »
I tried a small flat open baffle like that for the Neo 10 and Neo 3 combo, and the response was really bad. It needs more front wave to back wave separation or it doesn't work too well.

bdp24

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2015, 11:24 pm »
Ric Schultz is going to disagree with that Danny! That's the basis for his line of OB speakers (with your OB Servo woofers).

SoCalWJS

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2015, 11:31 pm »
I tried a small flat open baffle like that for the Neo 10 and Neo 3 combo, and the response was really bad. It needs more front wave to back wave separation or it doesn't work too well.
Disappointed to hear that. I kind of figured that an OB Neo 3/10 Combo working with separate OB Servo's would be a great combo and allow for fairly easy room placement and integration.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2015, 11:35 pm »
Ric Schultz is going to disagree with that Danny! That's the basis for his line of OB speakers (with your OB Servo woofers).

The measurements don't lie.

I started with a wider baffle and started cutting down the edges a half of an inch at a time taking measurements after each set of cuts. If you don't add the wing down one side to created more front to back separation then the response is a mess. It causes a huge peak in the 350Hz to 700Hz region followed by a dipped area at 1100Hz. With the side wing the response flats out across the board.

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2015, 11:42 pm »
This is the same speaker with and without the side wing.

And this was with just an 8" wing. As the wing gets deeper it shifts the peak down into the 200Hz range and lower and flattens out perfectly.

It was part of the testing and development work I was doing for a new Serenity Acoustics model.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jan 2015, 11:55 pm »
The measurements don't lie.
Amen.  Can I get a hallelujah?!?!?!!!

:thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2015, 04:10 am »
Hallelujah Stiffler !!

bdp24

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2015, 05:03 pm »
Well Danny, that's why you can rightly be called a speaker designer/engineer, and Ric an audiophile tweaker (a quite advanced one at that!). Both valuable, but not always the same. A speaker has to be designed with solid engineering principles first; only then can tweaking begin. Some tweakers have been ahead of the engineer/designer of some products, and their tweaks actually incorporated into commercial products, both in loudspeakers and electronics. Turntables too; Brooks Berdan applied his knowledge of tuned suspensions (learned during his days of involvement in race-car design and driving) to the original Oracle turntable. He added a block of billet aluminum to the floating acrylic sub-chassis of the Oracle in just the correct location to endow it with evenly distributed mass (which the commercial product lacked). The three suspension springs (all with the same resonant frequency) were then able to keep the sub-chassis balanced as the 8-lb. platter spun---when you pushed down on the sub-chassis and let go, it bobbed up and down evenly in all four corners, just as a car with a correctly designed and built suspension does. Brooks offered his tweak as an after-market mod, and it was eventually incorporated into the turntable by Oracle. But tweaking can NOT violate the engineering (assuming the engineering is solid), only take it further. Replacing cheap components in electronics (including cross-overs, as everyone here is well aware) being a basic tweak. If the component value is kept the same, it's tweaking; if it's changed, it's engineering, is how I look at it. By that definition, Ric Shultz actually IS an engineer/designer. Measurements, as far as they go (and they go much further now than they did a few decades ago), reveal what is really happening in time and space. Tweaking, at it's best, addresses issues the designer/engineer of a product was not concerned with, or the manufactured didn't want to spend money on (often to keep a product at a certain price-point). The efforts of super-tweakers like Brooks and Ric have helped advance the State-Of-The-Art, but if their tweaks conflict with and/or contradict the designer/engineer's work (as Ric's have with yours Danny), either the engineer or the tweaker is "wrong"!