BACH - Cello Suites (CD only, please)

rockadanny

BACH - Cello Suites (CD only, please)
« on: 16 Feb 2007, 07:16 pm »
So far I've come across these:
Maria Kliegel from Naxos, Yo-Ma Ma from CBS, and two by Janos Starker: an early recording (released '04 - Mercury Living Presence - hybrid sacd); and a later one (released '97) from RCA.

(Realize I am a classical music dunce and can therefore only repeat what I've read about these recordings.)

Kliegel's is interesting as she is credited with performing these with good emotion; and on a Stradivarius which was made before Bach even wrote these! But Naxos supposedly can be a gamble on sound quality.

Yo-Ma Ma gets mixed reviews of these: no emotion, too technical, too much vibrato, etc. (I sometimes suspect these comments come from the sour grape crowd, but I'm too ignorant to tell.)

Starker gets great reviews. I suspect the best fidelity would be the one from Mercury as it is a Hybrid SACD; but the latter one from RCA is credited as a better performance.

My goal is to purchase one which is of high fidelity (Casals may be an amazing performer, but samples I've heard from him do not sound good - too old - high quality sound is a must for me) and good performance. I've sampled Starker on Mercury, which sounds good on my cheapie PC speakers, though his performance seems heavy-handed compared to Kliegel - maybe a man vs. woman thing? A clue to what I like is a recent purchase: Carl Stamitz - Cello Concertos Nos. 1-3 on Naxos, which I love (the music and performance are great, the sound quality is acceptable).

Not being independantly wealthy to buy all of them and judge for myself (preferred method), nor living near a decently stocked library, please help me decide which to get. Any preferences? Or other CD recordings of this specific music preferred? (CD only, please.)

Harmon

Re: BACH - Cello Suites (CD only, please)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2007, 07:32 pm »
Two well recorded and performed Bach Cello Suites in my opinion are: Bach: The 6 Cello Suites performed by Maurice Gendron, and Bach: 6 Suiten Fur Violoncello solo performed by Pierre Fournier.  I have both and both are great.  :)

Thebiker

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2007, 07:52 pm »
I own the Janos Starker on Mercury Living Presence.  I find it to be extremely pleasing.  I have not played the CD layer, only the SACD.  I doubt that Starker has ever recorded a performance that wasn't up to his standards, which are quite high.

The recording quality is excellent, dead quiet when it should be and clean and detailed for the music.  My playback is a Sony 9100ES into a Cary SLI-80 to Focal Cobalt 816s.  It is my favorite Bach cello recording.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2007, 01:42 am »
Look into Pieter Wispelwey on Channel Islands. I am also fond of Anner Bylsma's recording although perhaps partly because it was my first and for a very long time, only. It's the one that I remember in my head. I have never been able to get into the Fournier, Casals, or (esp) Rostropovich.

Rachel Podger on Channel Islands playing the Sonatas and Partitas (violin) is great too. Harder going than the Suites, though.

rmihai0

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2007, 02:51 am »
I personally prefer Cohen interpretation on Regis label (1990).

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2001/Aug01/BachCelloCohen.htm

A more "audiophile" recording is the interpretation of Wen-Sinn Jang (Arthaus label).

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2006/Sept06/Bach_cello_Yang_101419.htm

Well - enjoy the music.

Dave G

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2007, 03:14 pm »
rockadanny,

What did you end up buying?  I followed your request and the responses you got and ended up purchasing the Pierre Fournier recording Harmon mentioned.  I've just been listening to it and it's lovely.  As Harmon says, it is "well recorded and performed." 

Dave

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2009, 11:58 am »
I enjoy the Wispelway recording as well, though you should know that it is a 'Period Performance'.  Many people don't get into that.  I'd say if you find the Ma recordings too Romantic then the Rostropovich version might make you ill.  I have the Casals and just don't see what all they hype about him was...sorry.  Apparently, there are two Fournier recordings.  One is 'The Bomb', as the kids say, and the other is good but less inspired.  I have no other information about either version but internet research should answer your questions.

rockadanny

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2009, 12:21 pm »
Thank you for all of the replies. Sorry I did not respond - somehow I missed updating the thread.

I ended up getting Maria Kliegel and really love it. I could listen to an entire disk without getting bored. I loaned it to a friend who used to play in a symphony and he loaned me his favorite - Casals. I hated it. And he hated Kliegel. I found Casals to be very boring, plus not well recorded, which I really wanted. I heard Rostropovich and, though techincally impressive, found Kliegel's more listenable - not as intense as Rost, more relaxed, which I preferred. My friend did not like Kliegel's becaue too much emotion was injected. He said, "these are exercises, not to be played with emotion." I thought, well then, why listen to them?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2009, 06:47 pm »
Not to be played with emotion?  Wow, that's a pretty wrong-headed view, IMO.  If you like Kliegel, I would also suggest Fournier.  Quite emotional, but a noble, patrician quality pervades it, unlike Rostropovich who is more histrionic and willful.

6rs

Anner Bylsma!
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2009, 08:34 pm »
Fournier used to be my favorite, after Heinrich Schiff and Pablo Casals.
However, Anner Bylsma's set is tops them all, especially the later one:
http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Suites-Cello-BWV-1007-1012/dp/B0000027TV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1244493205&sr=1-1

lcrim

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2009, 10:29 pm »
I have the Yo Yo Ma released in 1983 by CBS.  Its the version I know best and its definitely a desert island recording for me.   

cryoparts

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2009, 10:41 pm »

Mischa Maisky, Deutsche Grammophon

Peace,

Lee

Ericus Rex

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2009, 11:55 pm »
"these are exercises, not to be played with emotion."

No they aren't!  Students use them as exercises THESE days.  But these were originally dances.  Who can dance to emotionless music?!?!

rockadanny

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2009, 12:11 pm »
Ericus - That makes sense. Thanks for the info.

JackD201

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2009, 04:43 pm »
You found Rostropovich too technical and Kliegel more listenable. Starker is somewhere in between. I like the Ma but find he smoothened things up a bit too much for my tastes.

Funny though, I always found Slava's tempo change ups to be very expressive. I also find his interpretations emotionally intense rather than technical albeit his technical skills really are something to behold. Oh well. Goes to show how subjective music appreciation really is. Glad you found the one you wanted. :)

JP78

« Reply #15 on: 18 Aug 2009, 06:52 pm »
I have the Yo Yo Ma released in 1983 by CBS.  Its the version I know best and its definitely a desert island recording for me.

+1. You'll have to pry it out of my dead hands.

Jon L

« Reply #16 on: 18 Aug 2009, 07:30 pm »
I am also fond of Anner Bylsma's recording although perhaps partly because it was my first and for a very long time, only. It's the one that I remember in my head.

Interestingly, the same thing happened to me with Rostropovich. I just can't seem to listen to others without getting uneasy due to the different tempi, expressions, emotions, etc. 

Let's face it, though.  Bach cello suites is one of rare select music directly from heaven and never fails to make me happy. 

dflee

« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2009, 02:08 am »
For something completely different, try Edgar Meyer on the double bass playing the cello suites. Ever time I put it on I find myself just listening. Can't do anything else.

As Always
Don

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 27 Aug 2009, 03:40 am »
Meyer is great, I love it.  Too bad he did not record all of the suites.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #19 on: 27 Aug 2009, 11:56 am »
As a bass player myself, I can tell you that some of the cello suites are nearly impossible on bass!