Favorite Furtwangler Recordings

Ralph

• College Chemistry Professor, Psychologist
Favorite Furtwangler Recordings
« on: 13 Jun 2012, 11:13 pm »
Hi, I am a passionate Furtwangler lover and I wanted to know which of his recordings you love the most. I personally love his Beethoven above all.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Favorite Furtwangler Recordings
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2012, 02:14 am »
I think his Bruckner and Wagner are both quite good.

rpf

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2012, 03:06 am »
I'm not a fan of all of his Beethoven recordings (or all of his recordings by any one composer actually) but his LvB 6th and 9th are favorites. The Lucerne 9th above all, but Bayreuth also. His late Bruckner recordings as well.

kernelbob

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2012, 03:39 am »
The Bruckner symphony #5 with the Berlin Philharmonic recorded on October 28, 1942.  The original recording was one of many taken at the end of WWII by the Soviets and remained unavailable until 1986.  Fortunately, the Germans had developed magnetic tape recording in time for this performance and the sound quality is sufficient to let you listen into the musical lines without distraction.  Furtwangler gives the music a sense of lightness and natural flow which is no easy task with the Bruckner symphonies and it's over all too soon.

coverto

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2012, 03:58 am »
Gotta go with "Tristan & Isolde," no one ever launched that work into the heavens and let it linger there so beautifully the way he did. The ambient noise in the concert hall, however, does bug me to a degree.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2012, 04:16 am »
So guys, who is the better conductor, Furtwangler, or Kleiber?  :P

jerryleefish

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2012, 04:20 am »
Which Kleiber, Carlos or his father?

sibelius

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2012, 07:46 pm »
Love his Bruckner, Wagner, WWII performances of Beethoven 3,5 & 9, Just about any of his Brahms 1, Schumann 4 and Schubert 9. 

JBrahms

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2013, 10:45 pm »
I will go with the Bruckner 8th, coupled with Tristan.  Powerful stuff.  On Music and Arts cd