what price for sae parametric equalizer

phowell1

what price for sae parametric equalizer
« on: 11 Feb 2007, 05:17 am »
Hi Taas,

I just received an item which my friend wants me to sell for him. He used to have a monster sae system-the 2400l amp, the pre with all of those fancy lights and a very nice tuner, among other things. He got it back when sae was a respectable name.

Anyway, he has sold most of his system and what remains is his parametric equalizer, which he has asked me to sell. It is a model 1800. It is mint. I have no idea what this thing should sell for, and I realize that few audiophiles would want or need such a thing. But I was wondering if anyone has access to a blue book (Or could tell me how to hook up with one) that wouldn't mind giving me a ballpark number.

any help you  guys could give would be appreciated. (And if anyone wants to buy it, so much the better!)

Thanks, and atb

warnerwh

Re: what price for sae parametric equalizer
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2007, 06:21 am »
When I want to know what something sells for I do a search on Ebay and then click on "completed listings" and see what they sold for. Old SAE gear has some value especially if it is mint.

DonnieW

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2007, 01:40 pm »
When I want to know what something sells for I do a search on Ebay and then click on "completed listings" and see what they sold for. Old SAE gear has some value especially if it is mint.

eBay is a pretty good reference, mainly do to the volume of transactions.  By that I mean there is a good average on eBay, you get prices reflecting almost every conceivable condition and location.  My observation is that the eBay is secondary for really good (read: high-end and/or eccentric) gear.  It appears many favor Audiogon and Canuck Audio Mart.  Of the former, and for those that don't know, there is a fairly decent albeit relatively new audio price database called "Audio Blue Book" - as .  It's a paid service, but can be used to gauge pricing.  Because some of the stuff is in low numbers, the ABB isn't exactly accurate - but it will get there with more transactions.

That said, and because I cannot directly quote the Blue Book due to their policy, I wouldn't personally pay more than $190US for an SAE 1800  :wink:.  I heard they can go as low as $40US.  :wink:

mrfattcapp

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2007, 04:19 pm »
DonnyW has pretty much hit the nail on the head. I worked for 10 years buying and selling audio equipment for a living. Ebay is the gold standard reference for resellers. It allows you to look at a global market. I checked quickly for you and the last one sold on ebay for $118.52 CDN on Feb 6. With that said its always the case that if you find the right person you can get more. Try some local papers/Craigslist first. If that doesnt work out put it up on ebay with a reserve of $100.

phowell1

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2007, 10:12 pm »
You guys are the greatest! thanks so much for your information.

Donnie, I respect your integrity!!   :wink:

Fattcapp, when you bought and sold audio for a living, were you workingfor yourself? That must have been cool.

I have the sense craigslist"s viewership may be too general in nature( Mostly customers for sofas, etc) but I will investigate.

thanks again for the tips boyz.

atb
Perry

ps Anyone have an idea if there will be another taas meeting before the montreal show?

DonnieW

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2007, 11:22 pm »

ps Anyone have an idea if there will be another taas meeting before the montreal show?

There certainly will  :thumb:

el Presidente will be mentioning some good news very soon.

mrfattcapp

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2007, 07:02 am »

Fattcapp, when you bought and sold audio for a living, were you workingfor yourself?

Yes and no.. Mainstream consumer & Pro gear would usually go through second hand retail stores. Alot of the esoteric stuff I got to buy personally because "there was no market", "they want too much" ,or "thats an old piece of crap"  aa. Because of that experience I've had my way with a boatload of gear, now I'm really getting revved up on the whole pc audio thing. I've been using my computer as a source for a long time but I think I'm going to try my hand at putting together a custom music server. We'll see how that goes. 

phowell1

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2007, 03:09 am »
From Donnie
el Presidente will be mentioning some good news very soon.

Perry's gettin' excited! Perry's gettin' excited! 8)

from fattcapp
I've been using my computer as a source for a long time but I think I'm going to try my hand at putting together a custom music server. We'll see how that goes.

I'm very interested in how that works out. How have your experiences with your pc gone?

from fattcapp
Alot of the esoteric stuff I got to buy personally because "there was no market", "they want too much" ,or "thats an old piece of crap"  aa

May high end audio always be a fringe activity!!

BTW, I posted on cragslist today. Here's hoping it moves.