Skiing Season is upon us.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Skiing Season is upon us.
« on: 13 Dec 2006, 02:31 pm »
Ok, so temperatures are dropping here in the Great White North. Any other ski enthusiasts gonna be carving up some slopes? 

If you have any info for those interested, any great ski getaways to recommend, new gear to recommend ,post it here.

Like it or not, we have winter. I say make the most of it!!

Eeeehaw!!!  :thumb:

Cheers

fajimr

Re: Skiing Season is upon us.
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2006, 02:47 pm »
just got back from a telemark festival at Jay Peak in Vermont put on by the New England Telemark something or another http://www.netelemark.com/ .  Snow is still pretty thin around here but it was great to be out and hanging with other teleskiers.  Temps this week are still above freezing which makes the skier in me sad :(

come on Ullr and Skadie....
jim

NotoriousBIG_PJ

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2006, 02:59 pm »
What is the closest half-decent hill around London?

Biggie.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2007, 02:20 am by NotoriousBIG_PJ »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2006, 03:12 pm »
Not exactly in your part of the great white north but Whisler/blackcomb is a fabulous Canadian skiing destination.  I have been out of the skiing loop since my daughter was born but I think we are making a trip to Smuggler's Notch this year.  I have never been to it, but it's supposed to have one of the best children's program.  I am kind of excited about seeing my little girl (4) going down the hill.  Hmmmm. I will have to take my skis out to have them checked.  I hope they still work.....

BTW, congrats on your new circle.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2006, 05:03 pm »
I'm also a big Whistler/Blackcomb fan.  I use to go there every year for a week, but haven't in a few years. 

MKOM

• My Kind of Music by J & D Design
« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2006, 02:36 am »
Blue Mountain, Collingwood has a couple runs open but really to soon just yet....kind of Snow mixed wth a bit of gravel....ouch.....  :o

Chickapee, Kitchener is another one but I don't know the conditions there....???

I was speaking with my cousins just outside of Cortina, Italy and even the conditions in the Alps are at their worst that they have been in many years.....  :?

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow......  :D

Cheers,

MKOM  :xmas:
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2006, 03:11 am by MKOM »

RAW

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2006, 03:20 am »
Whisler/blackcomb is on my local list with a few others as well
Grouse,Cypress,Hemlock,Manning,Mount Symour,Apex,Big White,Sun peaks ,Silver Star.
 :duh: :duh: :duh:
What am I to do first???

I know start at the top of the list and work down.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2006, 03:22 am »
Whisler/blackcomb is on my local list with a few others as well
Grouse,Cypress,Hemlock,Manning,Mount Symour,Apex,Big White,Sun peaks ,Silver Star.

Show off....

Break a leg! :thumb:

Cheers

RAW

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2006, 03:29 am »
As I said this afternoon Denny.
Have to love the WETcoast.
We are surrounded by the mountains all covered in snow and yet look at the beach at the same time.Look south and we see the USA.

Hard to shovel rain I must say.
But just a 20 minute drive and I take the little one to play in the snow.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2006, 03:45 am »
Al,

My buddy just booked a trip to Big White Ski Resort in your neck of the woods today as a matter of fact. He was showing it to me today on the computer. He's taking the family there for March break. We were doing the webcam runs down the slopes. Man, the views of the mountains and the snow covered trees is surreal. Awesome.

Coolest place I ever went skiing was Mont St.Anne in Quebec City. Holy smoke!  The chair lift goes as far as the eye can see, into the clouds! When you get off that chair, there's an arrow that says, this way to chair lift. A second chair! It goes into the clouds as well! Then there's another arrow that says, this way to chair lift! A third chair! Crazy! It's a crazy long hill. I think we only got 4 or 5 runs the whole day, and we only stopped for lunch. If you're ever in Quebec City and love to ski. It's a must ski!

Cheers
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2006, 04:26 am by Daygloworange »

aerius

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2006, 04:02 am »
I can't ski for beans, but I was at Mont St. Anne a few years back doing some chairlift mountain biking.  They had the big enclosed mini-gondola lift running and it took a good 10 minutes to get to the top of the mountain.  Down at the bottom it was almost 30°C, at the top it was definitely jacket weather with some mist & clouds.  Amazing place for mountain biking, I rode the World Cup downhill course and almost killed myself in the rock garden section.

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2006, 09:13 pm »
St Anne is nice, I prefer Tremblant (well, as of the early 90's anyway, have not been back since).

RAW - cruel bastard, rhyming off all those glorious places!

My all time fav is slightly south of the border... Winter Park Resorts in Colorado was SO much fun in '95, and the long drive to Vail for the day was nice too...

jermmd

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2006, 09:27 pm »
It's like 65 degrees in CT today! My family has a place on Windham Mountain in NY and season tickets. We even bought the three year old his first pair of skis. All we need now is some WINTER!

I'd love to get up to Canada some time. I heard it gets really freezing cold on Tremblant. Unbearably cold is what I heard. I skied in NY once when it was -40 with wind chill and that was pretty much my limit.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2006, 09:35 pm »
Yeah, it can get cold. Tremblant is nice. St. Saveur is nice too, been there many times as well. Think I'm going to take a run out to Ellicotville, NY this winter. I hear it's nice there. Anyone been to Holiday Valley in NY?

Cheers

RAW

« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2006, 10:40 pm »
http://www.numinous.ca/Webcam%20Page.htm
http://www.vancouver.com/webcam/index.htm
Try the wet coast out for powder :thumb:
Rain in Vancouver means the local hills get loaded with snow.The links are to web cam views from Vancouver to the mountains.Just have to look past the rain.

The top of Grouse looking down to Vancouver.Just a tram ride away.

Far back ground is the USA.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/cams/village/index.htm
Whistler with with web cams live.

zane9

« Reply #15 on: 14 Dec 2006, 11:47 pm »
Closer to home, my son and his pals (snowboard fanatics) are off this weekend to Mt St. Louis Moonstone, which is up and running. There's not a lot of snow yet, but a few runs are open. Gotta love that teenager energy  :D

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jan 2007, 12:15 am »
Ok, we're finally starting to get some snow. I might take a run out to Ellicottville, NY at Holiday Valley next week if I can sneek away for a day.

Anybody been out to carve up some (ahem) powder?

Cheers

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #17 on: 26 Jan 2007, 01:06 am »

We are lining up Kicking Horse at Golden B.C. this Sunday. May shoot off to Lake Louise on Monday.

People say Kicking Horse is a step above Louise for powder and steeps. Will have to see. There seems to be a whole lot of black, and some double back, diamonds on Kicking's trail map. That suits me just fine since it is what the wifey and I like to ski. We are just killed by days end.

We have a bit of a rivalry and declare to each other that we are going to kick each other's rear ends on the hill.  :o  A little friendly competitive spirit helps us be aggressive on the steeps. You have to be aggressive or you DIE!!! Some runs just don't take kindly to a laid back, opps made a mistake, attitude.

Good thread. Audio always sounds better with a varied life.

Rocket_Ronny

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2007, 05:13 am »
Spent the day at Holiday Valley today. It was great to get away. Conditions are still far from great, but the were plenty good. There wasn't a lot of traffic today, and with most of the trails being open, I found myself on more then one occasion able to find a run that I could ski all by myself for quite awhile. Awesome.  8)

Maybe on the weekend I'll do Blue Mountain.

Cheers