TAAS!!!! Welcome to the newest Circle!!!

PhilNYC

Re: TAAS!!!! Welcome to the newest Circle!!!
« Reply #40 on: 13 Dec 2006, 03:42 pm »
Dayglow...thanks!  That chair is definitely cool...

Btw - if there's anything I can do to help you guys, let me know...both Blue Circle and Focus Audio are in/near Toronto... 8)

sturgus

« Reply #41 on: 13 Dec 2006, 04:10 pm »
Welcome to the family. :beer: Just like Deadfish says hope you guys enjoy yourselves as much as we GAS guys do.
Sturgus

bluemike

« Reply #42 on: 13 Dec 2006, 04:52 pm »
Hey Phil
Here's a thought
Do you think we could convince Gilbert to drop by our next get together
What would be even cooler is if we could convince him to to be a guest speaker

I would love to hear the focus line  :thumb:

PhilNYC

« Reply #43 on: 13 Dec 2006, 04:58 pm »
Hey Phil
Here's a thought
Do you think we could convince Gilbert to drop by our next get together
What would be even cooler is if we could convince him to to be a guest speaker

I would love to hear the focus line  :thumb:

I've already told Gilbert about TAAS, and I'm pretty sure he'd be interested in attending (although I don't know if he's the kind of guy to give a "speech" :().  He's been at a couple of our NY Audio Raves, and people definitely enjoyed just hanging out with him...

Let me know when/where the next meet is, and I'll check with both Gilbert and the Focus guys (if appropriate) if they are able to join...

PhilNYC

« Reply #44 on: 13 Dec 2006, 05:00 pm »
Btw - you guys should have one of the AC facilitators move the original thread with your first meet to this Circle so it's all in one place...

Syrah

« Reply #45 on: 13 Dec 2006, 05:49 pm »
Daygloworange,

I like your amp comparison suggestion.  In a perfect world we'd have two dramatically different speaker types.  I use Martin Logan SL3s and I used to have GR AV3s - boy do they ever place different demands on amps.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #46 on: 13 Dec 2006, 06:01 pm »
Daygloworange,

I like your amp comparison suggestion.  In a perfect world we'd have two dramatically different speaker types.  I use Martin Logan SL3s and I used to have GR AV3s - boy do they ever place different demands on amps.

Good point. I'm not sure what would be the best way to proceed. As it stands now, we could have quite a few amps to listen to, so for the sake of not making it too long and drawn out, I thought, 1 transport/DAC combo, 1 set of speakers with a fairly easy impedance curve.

Are the Martin Logans a 4ohm load?

Cheers

Syrah

« Reply #47 on: 13 Dec 2006, 06:18 pm »
They are a 4 ohm nominal load.  But when they crank out the highs that load increases.  They're also more of a capacitant load than dynamic speakers.  Contrary to what I used to think, and what many say on many chat sites, the panels thrive with tubes.  Peter McAlister explained to me that there are solid technical reasons for that.  I've found that the winning combo is tubes on the panels and big solid state on the woofers using digital room correction (I use a DBX Driverack PA).

Spirit

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 13 Dec 2006, 09:27 pm »
They are a 4 ohm nominal load.  But when they crank out the highs that load increases.  They're also more of a capacitant load than dynamic speakers.  Contrary to what I used to think, and what many say on many chat sites, the panels thrive with tubes.  Peter McAlister explained to me that there are solid technical reasons for that.  I've found that the winning combo is tubes on the panels and big solid state on the woofers using digital room correction (I use a DBX Driverack PA).
I thought that Peter's destruction of the myth that tubes can only power highly efficient speakers was one of the hilites of our first meeting.  I also was "trained" to think that way.  You know, but a speaker like a Coincident Victory with 96 or 97 db efficiency and then you can buy a tube amp.. Well, Peter sure threw that one out of Dayglow's place!
As a matter of fact, he uses his tube amps with electrostatic speakers! What a bright man

RHB

« Reply #49 on: 21 Dec 2006, 02:17 am »
Finally..... It's nice to have a place to go and hang out. My best wishes to all for the Holiday Season. Thanks to Spirit and Daygloworange for being so instrumental in making it all happen.  :thumb:

Steve-N

« Reply #50 on: 25 Dec 2006, 05:00 am »
Glad to be a new member of AC and TAAS at the same time. Finding out about TAAS through a websearch was the reason for me signing up. I hope to be of some service, but expect to be a major lurker for the initial time being.

Wish everyone continued sucess in with their systems and projects.