Cap discussion

Oystein

Re: Cap discussion
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jan 2016, 03:49 pm »
I did it a few years ago myself.

I have a Khartago Plus and browsing the internet I noticed some higher spec'd versions had the extra caps.
I had some around (4,7 uF) and soldered them on the outboard capacitors.

Sorry for the crappy pic but you can see it clearly:

sonicboom

« Reply #21 on: 23 Jan 2016, 04:37 pm »
as for caps themselves,  just like a tube, you can measure a cap to see if it is "good",  but you really don't know if it is 100 %, 80% or 60% for example...it just measures good...but like a tube, you have diminished performance.....this is particularly drastic with oil filled caps (which we don't have

Klaus,

To which oil caps are you referring? I can't think of any reason on how this could be. Oil caps are either metalized film or film and foil types just like the small-value coupling caps used between stages. There isn't an electrolyte to dry out over time. If sonic degradation occurs in oil caps, then it should also occur in coupling capacitors such as the Jensen's, Audio Note's, Jupiter's etc., which has not been my experience - quite the contrary actually. Would you please care to elaborate on your experiences with oilers?

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jan 2016, 05:41 pm »
Would you please care to elaborate on your experiences with oilers?

Sonicboom -

There is nothing to elaborate as Odyssey doesn't use "oilers" (older oil filled caps/cans) in the power supply on amplifiers. We do use however small value (<10uF) hybrid capacitors (oil/paper/film, etc.) in different circuits - mainly small filtering/bypass applications, with very good results. This apply to all the brands you mentioned and others we currently use of course.

The critical point affecting mainly axial capacitors is the proper handling specific to the leads! It is very easy and "naked" to the eye to crack the entry point of the lead resulting the premature drying of the capacitor. It is my experience that older oil/film/paper (I mean old!) capacitors use to dry faster, as their construction (sealing) was not as good as current production techniques.

When restoring some older units (Scott, Dyna, Heath, etc.), I would change the caps before even powering the unit.

Current aluminum electrolytic capacitors (large values) used in power supplies in well designed circuits (Odyssey of course) these days are very reliable in my opinion.

Thank you.

Alex

sonicboom

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jan 2016, 06:41 pm »
Alex,

Thank you for the clarification. I knew that Odyssey doesn't use big oil caps in the power supplies of amps and that's why I was a bit perplexed. Now I know what it was meant by degradation of oil caps and it does make sense in that context. Good info on the old oil caps - learnt something new!

Cheers