Cyclops w/built-in DAC | Any chance you create something like that?

marflao

Hey Klaus,

as per title how are the chances that we´ll see a Cyclops with an built-in DAC added to your product line?
What´s your thought on it?

Cheers,
M.

BobC

A long time ago I asked him about the possibility of an Odyssey DAC.  He said "no".  At the time he felt that the market was flooded with too many very good but low cost options.  I suspect that still holds, but I love the idea of a great Odyssey integrated with DAC and HT bypass.

marflao

Time has passed since then hopefully he had changed his view ;-)

GentleBender

Time has passed since then hopefully he had changed his view ;-)

Did you ever receive your Geek Source DAC? If so, how is it?

JackD

I would be very surprised to see Klaus get in the DAC business.  There are still to many "low cost" options including multiple manufacturers on this forum. 

marflao

Did you ever receive your Geek Source DAC? If so, how is it?

Ouch... unpleasant topic ;-)
Nope... design phase is not even finalized. Shippings will start hopefully in Q1 but not clear yet. I'm trying to sell it before it will arrive at my door because the advertised hexagonal chassis is off the table.

marflao

I would be very surprised to see Klaus get in the DAC business.  There are still to many "low cost" options including multiple manufacturers on this forum.

But wouldn´t it be possible to "form a kind of partnership" with one of them? Even if it´s only in form of licensing the DAC (as a similiar approach he used to have (still has?) with Symphonic Line). But yes ..maybe you're right and it´s not in Klaus´ focus.

The reason why I brought up this "built-in" topic is because the new Job225 INTegrated has caught my eye.
On the one hand something like that would simplify my system (get rid of the single DAC and its LPS) but in the other hand I´m not sure if this "integrated" solution is any better than my Cyclops with the separate components.

Therefore I´m keen to know Klaus´ view on an integrated Odyssey Audio "solution" :-)
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2015, 09:43 am by marflao »

GentleBender

Ouch... unpleasant topic ;-)
Nope... design phase is not even finalized. Shippings will start hopefully in Q1 but not clear yet. I'm trying to sell it before it will arrive at my door because the advertised hexagonal chassis is off the table.
That is quite unfortunate. Would have likely been a good performer. I've been burned by Kickstarter in the past on projects. A bit of a gamble. :?

marflao

That is quite unfortunate. Would have likely been a good performer. I've been burned by Kickstarter in the past on projects. A bit of a gamble. :?

In case you´re interested in the Source drop me a PM.

Phil A

I don't know about costs but there are things that manufacturers can buy such as - http://www.msbtech.com/oem/oemDAC.php?Page=oemHome

klaus@odyssey

NOPE  !!!!!!!!

STEREOmole

Why on earth would anyone WANT that?  From an Audiophile's perspective, I like to select my components individually (and upgrade them when I feel the need).  Digital products are constantly improving...I wouldn't want to be locked to yesterday's technology because it's integrated into my amplifier.  There are hundreds of great DACs that work just fine w/ my Cyclops and I prefer to choose my own.

marflao

Why on earth would anyone WANT that?  From an Audiophile's perspective, I like to select my components individually (and upgrade them when I feel the need).  Digital products are constantly improving...I wouldn't want to be locked to yesterday's technology because it's integrated into my amplifier.  There are hundreds of great DACs that work just fine w/ my Cyclops and I prefer to choose my own.

Convenience ;-)
At least that was my first thought. Get rid of several other "boxes" as for instance the separate DAC and Linear Power supply. Thought another advantage would be to reduce the power consumption....think "green" ;-) But that was not a showstopper.

But having slept a couple nights over it I came to the conclusion to stay with what I have. So an integrated solution is currently off my table.

uncola

Klaus seems pretty dead set on not getting involved with DACs.  This could be a good basis for a Digital Cyclops(tm) though
http://www.soekris.dk/dam1121.html
oem pcb dac module with sign magnitude r2r dac

Arcticdeth

lazydays

I would rather see a preamp built off the tube preamp with five inputs and an optional phono stage. Two of these would be tape one and two. DAC's are a dime a dozen, but a good tape loop is gold. My next preamp will have a tape loop, or I'll go back to something old with one.
gary

md92468

NOPE  !!!!!!!!

This might be my favorite post ever on this forum. Bravo, Klaus – being clear about what your company is NOT is the sign of a mature brand. As a brand consultant, I see companies reach outside their core capacities all the time, and it usually costs them their business...or the owner's sanity...or both.