'classic' rock songs you hate

honesthoff

Re: 'classic' rock songs you hate
« Reply #80 on: 5 Apr 2007, 04:38 pm »
I'm too lazy to see if this is already posted, but my all time most hated classic rock song is American Pie, followed closely by Free Bird.  After hearing them too many times on the radio I joined the Navy and got to hear them in every bar I ever went into in every port I ever visited, and believe me that was a lot of times.
Ever get stationed at Mayport or Jax NAS?  I think Freebird was played every other song.  I also hate anything by Aerosmith.

Whitese

« Reply #81 on: 5 Apr 2007, 04:54 pm »
I must agree with the following:

U2...why dont they just sample a few guitar chords...thats all the guy knows...and they can save some money
Van Halen: I dont get the genius of Eddie...I dont see what makes him stick out from hundreds of others.maybe his tapping technique that was done previously by many others?
The Allman Bros....guitar work is so repetitive.
Santana...WTF...just because they guy sang some spanish? he needs to learn also a few new chords.

Whitese

« Reply #82 on: 5 Apr 2007, 04:58 pm »
I hardly ever sit in the sweet spot. I listen here, there and all around the room.
But some people get off sitting in there assigned chair and position in their chamber they call a listening room listening to Diana Krell or whatever over and over and over again. Homogenized, Audiophile Approved, Grade-A music only!
 :violin:

LOL.. :thumb:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #83 on: 5 Apr 2007, 05:05 pm »
Dust in the Wind.... Kansas

They just keep repeating the same refrain over and over and over again................

sts9fan

« Reply #84 on: 5 Apr 2007, 05:11 pm »
To quote the dude: "I had a really bad day and I F'n hate the Eagles...man"

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #85 on: 5 Apr 2007, 05:49 pm »
Ever get stationed at Mayport or Jax NAS?

I lived in Mayport FL. for a few years and you could walk into the hangers and hear Free Bird, Stairway and Hotel California on a daily basis.

I think alot of this classic music is now "mood music" for us. It brings us back. Nowadays if I want high energy music, it's Metalica. If I want to mellow out, it's Freebird or the likes. Then there are days where I won't listen to any rock and sit back listening to some Louis Armstrong or Ray Charles.
 It all depends on the mood of the day.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #86 on: 5 Apr 2007, 07:54 pm »
Anything by REO Speedwagon or Styx. The voices of Kevin Conin and Dennis DeYoung were used during the invasion of Panama, the siege at Waco and the hijinks at Abu Grahib. Amnesty International has classified the exposure of  people to them as inhumane. PETA is protesting the playing of "Keep On Loving You" or "Babe" in veterinary clinics. They have kidnapped animals who have endured this abuse and moved them to testing labs used by cosmetic companies to lessen their suffering.

"Sister Christian" by Night Ranger is on the list of suspected carcinogens and any album containing this abomination must have a warning label stating such when sold in the state of California.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #87 on: 6 Apr 2007, 02:38 am »
Anything by REO Speedwagon or Styx. The voices of Kevin Conin and Dennis DeYoung were used during the invasion of Panama, the siege at Waco and the hijinks at Abu Grahib. Amnesty International has classified the exposure of  people to them as inhumane. PETA is protesting the playing of "Keep On Loving You" or "Babe" in veterinary clinics. They have kidnapped animals who have endured this abuse and moved them to testing labs used by cosmetic companies to lessen their suffering.

"Sister Christian" by Night Ranger is on the list of suspected carcinogens and any album containing this abomination must have a warning label stating such when sold in the state of California.

Man, that's hillarious. :rotflmao:

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #88 on: 6 Apr 2007, 02:50 am »
To quote the dude: "I had a really bad day and I F'n hate the Eagles...man"

Does it look like I'm married? The toilet seat's up, man!

:P

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #89 on: 6 Apr 2007, 03:54 am »
I got to add Steppinwolf to the list, sorry hope no relation to the legendary lonewolf.    :lol:

Good call. I saw them in 1969 in Montreal and I don't think I've ever seen a larger discrepancy between what the record sounded like and what the real talent appeared to be when seen live. Ouch!
What !!!  .....Steppenwolf........OK, thats it :nono:........you guys are off my Xmas list.........man, I can't believe it !!! :evil:

Whats next ??? You gonna hate ....Warren Zevon....."Werewolves Of London"  ............ :jester:

mcrespo71

« Reply #90 on: 6 Apr 2007, 03:57 am »
Everything by Billy Joel
Everything by the Stones after "Beggar's Banquent"
Everything related to or done by a Disco "Artist"
Classic Rock radio (they all have the same play list, over & over ad nauseum)

If I think about it any longer, the list will get longer and I'll be nauseous.

This includes Exile on Main Street and Sticky Fingers? :duh:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #91 on: 6 Apr 2007, 05:42 am »
Everything by Billy Joel
Everything by the Stones after "Beggar's Banquent"
Everything related to or done by a Disco "Artist"
Classic Rock radio (they all have the same play list, over & over ad nauseum)

If I think about it any longer, the list will get longer and I'll be nauseous.

This includes Exile on Main Street and Sticky Fingers? :duh:

Not to mention Some Girls :scratch:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #92 on: 6 Apr 2007, 06:21 am »
I got to add Steppinwolf to the list, sorry hope no relation to the legendary lonewolf.    :lol:

Good call. I saw them in 1969 in Montreal and I don't think I've ever seen a larger discrepancy between what the record sounded like and what the real talent appeared to be when seen live. Ouch!
What !!!  .....Steppenwolf........OK, thats it :nono:........you guys are off my Xmas list.........man, I can't believe it !!! :evil:

Whats next ??? You gonna hate ....Warren Zevon....."Werewolves Of London"  ............ :jester:

Yep, sorry Chris.

Did you ever see them live? They were really - how shall I say? ..... weak, to be charitable.

Stunk up the joint.

I got the impression that some entrepreneurial type heard his voice, which admittedly was one of those rare, damaged sounds possessed by not that many - David  Clayton Thomas comes to mind and, through sheer determination and throwing appropriate amounts of money at a top flight studio, forced a couple of hit songs from that instrument.

Studio musicians probably filled out the group, if not actually replacing them for the records.

Then an appropriate-seeming group was assembed for touring, probably not bothering with A-list musicians, thinking that the stoned out crowds wouldn't know the difference, but making sure they looked the part - extremely long hair, etc.

That's just what seemed plausible at the time, based on the fact that compared to what was coming off the stage that night at the Montreal Forum, the record itself sounded like a bunch of brilliant, polished professionals and they sounded like a high school band playing their first sock hop.  :oops:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #93 on: 6 Apr 2007, 06:32 am »
Maybe you hit the show on a bad night Russell...but then again....from their bio:

"...Along the way, various members came and went, with bassist Moreve leaving in late 1968; he was initially replaced by former Sparrow member Nick St. Nicholas, before being supplanted in early 1970 by George Biondo. Guitarist Monarch exited in 1969, replaced first by Larry Byrom and subsequently by Kent Henry."

I do enjoy their recordings....good memories... :thumb:

Gordy

« Reply #94 on: 6 Apr 2007, 11:51 am »

Man, that's hillarious. :rotflmao:

Best response yet  :lol:  Consider that PETA line stolen, I'll work it in somewhere...  :thumb:

Thebiker

« Reply #95 on: 6 Apr 2007, 12:28 pm »
Anything by the Beatles prior to them getting stoned and the White Album.  Three chords and repetitively moronic lyrics :flak:

I'll grant that Sticky Fingers & Exile had some merit, but not as a whole, IMHO.  By then, Jagger moved like a rooster whose tail feathers were burning and Keith Richards resembled a walking corpse, of course, he still does and now claims to have snorted his dad's ashes mixed with coke.......WTF :scratch:

PhilNYC

« Reply #96 on: 6 Apr 2007, 01:26 pm »
Electric Light Orchestra

acresm22

« Reply #97 on: 6 Apr 2007, 03:20 pm »
I second the ELO nomination, and I'll add anything that Jeff Lynn produces, including those Traveling Wilburys albums of the late 80s. His trademark sound....just....stinks. IMHO of course.

mcrespo71

« Reply #98 on: 6 Apr 2007, 03:55 pm »
Electric Light Orchestra

I disagree.  Call it a guilty pleasure if you will, but I like these guys. 8)

PhilNYC

« Reply #99 on: 6 Apr 2007, 04:08 pm »
I am actually a fan of the Travelling Wilburies, with George Harrison and Roy Orbison being bigger influences in their music than Lynn was IMHO. 

I will admit that ELO was perfect for the Xanadu soundtrack....:-)