'classic' rock songs you hate

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Re: 'classic' rock songs you hate
« Reply #100 on: 6 Apr 2007, 04:19 pm »
Anything by the Beatles prior to them getting stoned and the White Album.  Three chords and repetitively moronic lyrics :flak:

I'll grant that Sticky Fingers & Exile had some merit, but not as a whole, IMHO.  By then, Jagger moved like a rooster whose tail feathers were burning and Keith Richards resembled a walking corpse, of course, he still does and now claims to have snorted his dad's ashes mixed with coke.......WTF :scratch:

w00t, agree with you completely on the early Beatles...their later stuff was where it's at.

I didn't like Sticky Fingers as a whole either, but I think "Sister Morphine" is an immensely powerful tune...probably my 2nd favorite Stones song after "Wild Horses".

mcrespo71

« Reply #101 on: 6 Apr 2007, 04:30 pm »
Anything by the Beatles prior to them getting stoned and the White Album.  Three chords and repetitively moronic lyrics :flak:

I'll grant that Sticky Fingers & Exile had some merit, but not as a whole, IMHO.  By then, Jagger moved like a rooster whose tail feathers were burning and Keith Richards resembled a walking corpse, of course, he still does and now claims to have snorted his dad's ashes mixed with coke.......WTF :scratch:

w00t, agree with you completely on the early Beatles...their later stuff was where it's at.

I didn't like Sticky Fingers as a whole either, but I think "Sister Morphine" is an immensely powerful tune...probably my 2nd favorite Stones song after "Wild Horses".

Both those songs are on Sticky Fingers, right?

mcrespo71

« Reply #102 on: 6 Apr 2007, 04:31 pm »
I will admit that ELO was perfect for the Xanadu soundtrack....:-)

Game, set, match........PhilNYC :lol:

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #103 on: 6 Apr 2007, 04:38 pm »

Both those songs are on Sticky Fingers, right?

...indeed  :duh: :lol:

The rest of the album is forgettable to me.

stereocilia

« Reply #104 on: 11 Apr 2007, 05:00 pm »
how about "nights in white satin"?  anybody mention one that yet?  That song takes itself way too seriously.  I can't keep from laughing as soon as I hear..."Breathe deep, the gathering gloom..."

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #105 on: 11 Apr 2007, 05:17 pm »
how about "nights in white satin"?  anybody mention one that yet?  That song takes itself way too seriously.  I can't keep from laughing as soon as I hear..."Breathe deep, the gathering gloom..."
Agree!
In this case the title really does tell you all you need to know!

It could have been an early work by Andrew Lloyd Webber!

weirdo

« Reply #106 on: 11 Apr 2007, 05:32 pm »
anything by Steve Miller

fajimr

« Reply #107 on: 11 Apr 2007, 05:53 pm »
hmmmmm. as I read through these I wonder how many of you were old enough to hear the music when it was 'contemporary' and not as 'classic'... I certainly don't listen today to what I used to back in the early 70s and 80s yet many of those songs are tied to times in my life and feelings that transcend the songs.  I'll still dig out a Who album or the Clash when I am in the mood (and the mood of those specific eras were much different than today)... Journey is another group whose music at the time (or maybe it was just the altered 'state' I was in at the time) was pretty cool- wouldn't listen to it today...

for me this is too personal to respond to 'objectively' like I can to older jazz or blues music (which fits a different cultural era than I lived in) or even classical music.

rock on :rock:  (we need one of these icons with a lighter... NOT a cell phone like kids do today- lighters in the past had a very important role in enjoying music)

jim

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #108 on: 11 Apr 2007, 06:48 pm »
You make a good point.

I'm reminded of Crimson and Clover, a trashy song that I would never turn off, in fact I would probably turn it right up. Don't pay any attention to the "lyrics" (and I use the term loosely), though, on pain of acid reflux.