20 greatest guitar solos

fredgarvin

Re: 20 greatest guitar solos
« Reply #100 on: 3 Feb 2007, 07:05 pm »
Ronnie Montrose - Town without Pity on Open Fire

Hell, anything on the album "Montrose"  (lead singer was Sammy Hagar!!)

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss and check out the remasterd version....get on your bad motor scooter and ride over to the cd store
I saw Montrose in Portland when they were touring on the first album. I remember Hagar was one of the best frontmen I had seen and the drummer was outstanding. Ronnie, goes without saying...

jackman

« Reply #101 on: 3 Feb 2007, 09:01 pm »
I'm really enjoying this thread and I'm having a hard time picking my favorite 20 guitarists let alone favorite 20 solos.  One relatively obscure guitarist who I would add to the list is the late Danny Gatton.  Here is a live clip that shows some of his amazing guitar skills.  No offense to the late Roy Buchannon's fans (sp?) but no one ever played a Telecaster like Danny Gatton.  He was a smokin' guitarist who played music I actually enjoyed listening to.  Check out this live clip:

http://www.dannygatton.com/Video/gallaghers.mov

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #102 on: 3 Feb 2007, 09:44 pm »
Danny Gatton was unreal. His untimely passing is a great loss.

Cheers

JDoyle

« Reply #103 on: 7 Feb 2007, 03:13 am »
I'm more of a lurker here, and rarely post... but I felt a need to chime in here.  While I'm a huge fan of Beck, DiMeola, Metheny, Hendrix and countless others, with most of them mentioned in the previous postings, I have to say that I really believe my favorite (not the greatest, pardon me), is "All Right now" by Free. 

I almost can't believe I'm saying it  :oops:, but it gets me every time I hear it.  It's sooo simple, it just keeps building, the more I analyze it, the more I agree on its genious... there's just something about it that I really love (and I never even owned it!).  I guess I should buy it!

JD 

Dmason

« Reply #104 on: 7 Feb 2007, 03:27 am »
Danny Gatton ANYTHING. :thumb:  Pure soul/gold.

Guys like Duane Allman, and Steve Howe are spiritually connected to the fretboard. Fact.

Honourable Mention: Mr Mark Knopfler.

Forget, "best" guitar solo; there is only two kinds of music: good and bad.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #105 on: 7 Feb 2007, 04:09 am »
I'm more of a lurker here, and rarely post... but I felt a need to chime in here.  While I'm a huge fan of Beck, DiMeola, Metheny, Hendrix and countless others, with most of them mentioned in the previous postings, I have to say that I really believe my favorite (not the greatest, pardon me), is "All Right now" by Free. 

I almost can't believe I'm saying it  :oops:, but it gets me every time I hear it.  It's sooo simple, it just keeps building, the more I analyze it, the more I agree on its genious... there's just something about it that I really love (and I never even owned it!).  I guess I should buy it!

JD 
That would be Paul Kossoff.....after Free broke up he formed Back Street Crawler....another good group....Link.... :thumb:

fredgarvin

« Reply #106 on: 7 Feb 2007, 04:24 pm »

JD 
Totally. "All Right Now" is on my home burned all time great rock cd, along with "Suffragette City", which sports a great solo in the British rock vein of the time.

Scott F.

« Reply #107 on: 7 Feb 2007, 04:57 pm »
That would be Paul Kossoff.....after Free broke up he formed Back Street Crawler....another good group....Link.... :thumb:

Hey Chris, didn't Paul Rogers split from Free too and start Bad Company?

GregC

« Reply #108 on: 7 Feb 2007, 08:42 pm »
This thread is fun and makes us all recollect a lot of our historical listening.  Here are a few other guitar players that really get my foot tapping. 

Jose Feliciano - Alive-O (side 1 of LP 1 of the double live album).
Bert Jansch - most anything
Jorma - Quah

JDoyle

« Reply #109 on: 8 Feb 2007, 02:13 am »

JD 

Interesting!  Thanks!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #110 on: 8 Feb 2007, 05:36 am »

Hey Chris, didn't Paul Rogers split from Free too and start Bad Company?
Yes Scott, Rogers started Bad Company - good group, and another good guitarist there....Mick Ralphs. He started out in Mott The Hoople, then moved to Bad Company, then some solo recordings, and some gigs and albums with Ian Hunter (Mr. Mott The Hoople.. :lol:)....like a full circle.
Now speaking of Ian Hunter...a good guitarist as well, he later hooked up with Mick Ronson, who had worked with David Bowie (Aladdin Sane cd). Ronson also put out a few solo albums.....just one big happy family. :guitar:

Tweaker

« Reply #111 on: 8 Feb 2007, 06:42 am »
There are so many rock guitarists I admire for what I believe were absolute displays of genius and it's tough to not make a huge list. Two I've always held as favorites would be Andy Powell's intro lead to Warrior from Wishbone Ash's Argus album (the rest of the soloing is also superb, as well). Another would be Danny Weis's guitar work in the Iron Butterfly Theme Song from Heavy, their first album. And then there's the amazing playing by Gary Duncan and John Cipollina from the song The Fool off of Quicksilver Messenger Service's first album.
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2007, 01:56 am by Tweaker »

lazydays

« Reply #112 on: 8 Feb 2007, 06:29 pm »
right now I'm listening to Four Generations Of Miles Davis, and I'll have to say that Mike Stern isn't exactly bad. To be exact he's outstanding!
gary

fredgarvin

« Reply #113 on: 8 Feb 2007, 08:34 pm »
I listen frequently to Mikes' "Who Let the Cats Out?", agreat disk from a great player.

PhilNYC

« Reply #114 on: 8 Feb 2007, 08:48 pm »
The first time I ever even heard of Mike Stern was at a show at The Bottom Line in NYC...went to go see Michael Brecker, and Mike Stern was the guitarist in his band.  Stern stole the show...thought he was tremendous...

fredgarvin

« Reply #115 on: 9 Feb 2007, 12:03 am »
I saw the Brecker bros. in Larry Coryells' band many years ago in Portland, one of those I remember well, it was hot. They were the openers for Return to Forever. Alphonse Mouzon was the talented high-energy drummer.