Adele

mhconley

Adele
« on: 17 Feb 2012, 03:17 am »
Before the Grammy's I had only seen Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" music video a couple of times.  Her performance and complete domination of the Grammy's piqued my interest.  Today I received vinyl copies of both her albums, 19 and 21.  I just finished listening to both in order and I am simply in awe.  I love female vocalists and I think I have just discovered a new favorite.

The first side of 19 started rather slow and it took me a while to get into it but her voice just kept me in my seat.  The second side of 19 was great.  I was captivated from the first couple of notes of "First Love" and pinned to my seat through the last of "Hometown Glory".  I then put on 21 which starts with "Rolling in the Deep", a good song but, IMHO, nowhere near the best on the album.  This first side is strong from start to finish and I loved the "Rumour Has It" and "Turning Tables".  The second side of 21 is as strong as the first... Who knew a Cure song could sound so good?  (And I LOVE the Cure.)  Adele's version of "Lovesong" was simply amazing.  Then came "Someone Like You", my favorite song by far on the two LPs.  I had goosebumps and tears in my eyes listening to that cut.

Her voice is simply amazing.  I am really looking forward to future releases from this young woman.  Incredible.

Martin

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
Re: Adele
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2012, 03:45 am »
Couldn't agree more...19 has been in my CD player quite often since its release almost 4 years ago now.  21 has been a legitimate follow up.  It is very rare when the pop world and the truely good music world overlap but her talent is hard to ignore.

Happy Listening,

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2012, 05:14 am »
If you watch her video live at Royal Albert Hall, there she will tell you stories about her music and why she wrote them.

Ern Dog

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2012, 07:05 am »
I have 21 but don't listen to it often because of the below average recording quality.

Kinger

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2012, 12:08 pm »
Couldn't agree more.  I'm not sure how the vinyl and the CD compare, but I think her 21 album is fantastic.  Rolling in the Deep brought me in, but like you said I think there are many other stronger songs on the album than that one.  My personal favorite is Set Fire to the Rain.

mhconley

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2012, 12:29 pm »
Couldn't agree more...19 has been in my CD player quite often since its release almost 4 years ago now.  21 has been a legitimate follow up.  It is very rare when the pop world and the truely good music world overlap but her talent is hard to ignore.

Happy Listening,

I thought it funny that she was flabbergasted during her acceptance speech for for one of her Grammy's, I think record of the year.  She expressed disbelief stating that it <21> was not a "pop record".  She seems genuine and as having a level head.

If you watch her video live at Royal Albert Hall, there she will tell you stories about her music and why she wrote them.

The Blu-ray version is in my Amazon cart.

I have 21 but don't listen to it often because of the below average recording quality.

See my reply #24 on the second page of this thread for details...

Martin
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2012, 03:32 pm by mhconley »

Mr645

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2012, 12:50 pm »
Spectacular voice, but like many artists, software is the biggest limitation in sound quality.  I recorded a live performance on Paladia, and I found I needed to drop the sub to -7 to deal with poor sound engineering.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2012, 02:15 pm »
Between work and school I'm busy enough that I must confess I've never heard of her. :oops:  But based on these recommendations I'll look her up. :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2012, 03:02 pm »
School & work + ignoring your wife must have you completely out of touch. LOL!  :lol:

Between work and school I'm busy enough that I must confess I've never heard of her. :oops:  But based on these recommendations I'll look her up. :thumb:

Mike B.

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2012, 05:08 pm »
I only have the CD of 21. She is a talented singer but the recording seems to be harsh especially on the big production numbers. A top 40 radio mix

sonicxtc

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2012, 05:39 pm »
I don't comment on artists often. But, Adele has caught my attention and I thank the original OP. Makes me wonder about other recommendations.

It's difficult for a newer artist to capture my attention these days. But, she strikes me as melodic, talented and sincere. Strong vocals, sometimes catchy infectious grooves w/o being too poppy.

DS-21

« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2012, 05:47 pm »
Check out her "Live at Royal Albert Hall" Blu-Ray, too.

Stunning performance, and very good recording quality.

Redefy Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2012, 06:58 pm »
i love her voice.

its quite unique, and abit off from her sweet looking face  :D

never knew her name until my bro told me.

she's definitely my fave after eva cassidy.

cheers
henry

jackman

« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2012, 07:11 pm »
I borrowed the CD's from my wife, 19 and 21, and there is no doubt Adele has a great voice.  Can't comment on the recordings because I listened in my car and everything sounds pretty good on the car system.  Not great, not audiophile but good enough to make me a fan of this young lady's work.  One CD seemed a bit compressed but that's not uncommon on pop and Rock recordings these days. 

I hope she drifts into Jazz someday because her style would suite it very well.  It won't happen for a long time because not many people buy Jazz recordings.  Not enough to make it commercially attractive. 

She seems like a sweet, genuine, good person during her acceptance speach.  Hopefully she will continue along this path and make some great music.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2012, 09:53 pm »
For anyone  interested a short Tiny Desk Concert :http://www.npr.org/event/music/133687905/adele-tiny-desk-concert

orientalexpress

« Reply #15 on: 18 Feb 2012, 12:08 am »

nathanm

« Reply #16 on: 18 Feb 2012, 03:51 am »
No idea who Adele is, but I had a feeling I have been listening to her twice a day for five days a week.  Turns out I was right.

ctviggen

« Reply #17 on: 18 Feb 2012, 01:10 pm »
I have both 19 and 21 and like them, although I think the lyrics tend toward the depressing.  I haven't critically listened to them musically, though.

JfTM

« Reply #18 on: 18 Feb 2012, 01:15 pm »
If you like Adele's voice; take a listen to Maggie Koerner http://maggiekoerner.com/home

Similar voice, maybe a little more grit.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #19 on: 18 Feb 2012, 01:30 pm »
No idea who Adele is, but I had a feeling I have been listening to her twice a day for five days a week.  Turns out I was right.

Thread winner  :icon_lol: