Watkins Audio Speakers....ONE of the BEST SPEAKERS on the MARKET...At Any PRICE?

Batman Basmati

• I do what I please, and I do it with ease.
But some good came of it as our ServerAdmin uncovered a dual personality.  Other than that, it's run its course.
Negative comments, conjecture and pomposity are so frustrating when a person merely wants to read something educational or
informative on so many of these audio forums.  Why can't people just stick to facts and not go off insulting each other and the product or services trying to be discussed in an intelligent manner?

wushuliu

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/watkins-stereo-generation-four-loudspeaker/

What stands out is that it is a double chamber reflex speaker which based on my limited experience can sound incredible. Why more speakers don’t use it I don’t know. Actually I do, because it involves a little more work than standard bass reflex and time ismoney. Other than that though it just looks like a typical peerless/seas monitor with very good $50 woofer and tweeter, both of which are popular in diy circles.

Note the admission about dealer markup. The internet direct makes speakers more reasonably priced. But Bargain of the century? Put them up against the CSS Satori monitor and say, a Fritz - both internet direct with muuch better drivers - and then maybe decide. But the double chamber reflex is a clever advantage.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
...the double chamber reflex is a clever advantage.

But comes with its own compromises too.

dave

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
But comes with its own compromises too.

dave

Oh ... please explain.

Lester

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
A less flat impedance curve, and one has 2 be careful to not end up with 2-note bass (as a single chamber can have 1-note bass). Since we are tuning 2 boxes we have 2 resonances to deal with.

dave

Pyroil

I'm a "newbe" to Audio Circle but have been around the block a couple of times with audio.  Watkins Engineering is an old company that dates back to the early 70s when they supplied the Watkins Dual Drive woofer to Infinity.  I heard them for the first time in the Bay area on a trip with one of my reps when I was sales manager for Spectro Acoustics, a manufacturer of high end components started by some former employees from Phase Linear.  We visited the local rep for Infinity and of course he had some demo QLS 1s which he was glad to show off for us.  No loud rock, no pop, just a quiet jazz tune with an upright bass drums and piano.  Never in my life have I heard such clean, deep, effortless bass from a single 12 in woofer.  The comment was made that the Watkins Woofer "got under the note to put it out". 
In my later years I have more time to appreciate good music and more money to spend on good stuff.  I found two sets of Infinity QLS-3s over a period of eighteen months, had the woofers rebuilt by Watkins Engineering and restored whatever else was needed.  They are now my "go to" speakers for listening to good digital music.   I find that the Watkins woofer exceeds any other speaker I have heard in bass performance.  The dual voice coil design eliminates the impedance rise and smooths the response down to the point where the sound is felt rather than heard.
I haven't heard the new Watkins Speaker but I would venture to say I would look forward to it.  Watkins Engineering has a superb record for innovation and design and expect nothing but the best from them.