Free Windows 10 Worth it?

bacobits1

Re: Free Windows 10 Worth it?
« Reply #40 on: 2 Jun 2015, 09:08 pm »
Just got a Win 8.1 machine touch screen the whole shabang. Fast? It starts in 13 seconds!
Don't really care for 8.1 but ya get used to it. You have to.
Problems like Photoshop Elements 8 won't run anymore. Too many upgrades running from cloudware like Adobe and Office.
I will have to see how Win 10 shakes out. I'm not about to replace printers etc.
That's how they keep the merry go around going.
Mac? Used to be Mac only Mac all the time. You need the software too.
Machine prices are stupid. For half the cost I can have a real nice PC and I do.

Oh I don't want to sign in automatically to the MS Network and Cloud either.
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2015, 10:21 pm by bacobits1 »

JoshK

« Reply #41 on: 2 Jun 2015, 09:59 pm »
I got used to win 8.1, but figuring out where all the stuff I use often gets buried and bringing it out myself.   I absolutely hate the tiles.  To me that will only ever make sense on a tablet/mobile device, but is a clusterf**k for a desktop/laptop.    Install new software and go to use it....it will be buried on the third/fourth expansion of the tile page.  WTF?!  So I force it to desktop, but haven't reverted to the old start menu yet...cause I've been too lazy to do it.

Jon L

« Reply #42 on: 2 Jun 2015, 10:15 pm »
I'm not a fan of Apple soldering chips to the board removing my options of upgrading RAM and SSD drives as needed.

I just replaced 8GB of RAM up to 16GB ($95) in my Win 8.1 laptop and love how everything opens and works much smoother, even with multiple tasks, including Photoshop fully open.  I also replace any and all hard drives to SSD whenever I can, which is even more worth it.  So, I continue to avoid companies like Apple who insist we pay them the stupid high upcharge up front without option for users to upgrade cheaply.  I also bought an Apple iPhone 6 Plus and returned it ASAP, hating how iTunes tried to take over my multi-media activities and even my Windows laptop, as well as the lack of microSD slot and replaceable battery.  Too bad Sumsung went and copied Apple in these respects, but I am going to buy the LG G4 this week  :thumb:

bacobits1

« Reply #43 on: 2 Jun 2015, 10:29 pm »
I stopped using iTunes long time ago when it tried taking over all my media files.
I have an LG G3 I like it a lot except for the bloatware  Verizon puts in.
A good little program is "Debloater" no jail break needed.

ctviggen

« Reply #44 on: 2 Jun 2015, 11:18 pm »
BUT, I am truly alarmed if microsoft is trying to go to the subscription model.   :nono:  Many in the photography world are simply HATING the subscription model Adobe has forced on us with Photoshop CC (creative cloud).  I, like many others, have refused to pay monthly fees for CC and have stuck with all-paid CS versions; but as time goes by, Adobe is laughing at our face by releasing new features and functions for CC version but NOT releasing updates for the CS version, which we paid $$$$$ to buy user rights for previously.   :evil:  To make matters worse, users of CC are reporting server problems, system slow-down problems, etc.

I also will refuse to buy a subscription.  The current updates to Office are horrendous.  Each year, the new versions get more bloated and worse in my opinion.  It now takes multiple strokes/clicks to do the same thing you could previously do in one or two.  They're horrible. 

As you said, though, we may have to do that.

For me, Windows 10 is out.  I'm running windows media center, and Windows 10 no longer has a version of that. 

JohnR

« Reply #45 on: 2 Jun 2015, 11:56 pm »
If your HDD is large enough you could make a 50GB or larger partition and install it separately to do a dual boot. That way you could test it out and give yourself time to learn Windows 10 and not lose the OS you currently know and use. Once you set up dual boot you have an option of what OS you want to load each time. If you end up hating it, delete the partition and you lose nothing. Or you could ignore it until MS released enough patches to make it work right.  :thumb:

Another approach is to install it in a VM. I used VMware fusion on mac but there are free options eg

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/198427-how-to-install-windows-10-in-a-virtual-machine

I don't mind the subscription model, as long as the price is reasonable. With office365 you can have it on up to 5 machines instaed of purchasing multiple licences.

GentleBender

« Reply #46 on: 3 Jun 2015, 09:55 am »
Another approach is to install it in a VM. I used VMware fusion on mac but there are free options eg

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/198427-how-to-install-windows-10-in-a-virtual-machine

I don't mind the subscription model, as long as the price is reasonable. With office365 you can have it on up to 5 machines instaed of purchasing multiple licences.

Just make sure you have enough resources (RAM and HDD space) on whichever machine you use. Not enough video resources (discrete/integrated video systems may have a very small amount of dedicated RAM) and may cause problems with Adobe Flash and other video intensive apps (gaming, video players, etc). Know that the OS installed as a virtual machine will not run as well as a dedicated machine since it doesn't have access to all of the resources.

However, if you have a powerful machine with a good multi core processor and lots of RAM with a decent GPU (or two) it shouldn't be much different from a non virtual machine.

JohnR

« Reply #47 on: 3 Jun 2015, 11:42 am »
I was thinking for the purposes of evaluation, so you don't have to commit your OS drive to it yet. But! Having said that, I'm going to be trying some active crossover software on this Win10 VM and see how it goes  :green:

WGH

« Reply #48 on: 3 Jun 2015, 01:58 pm »
How to safely test-drive Win10 — step by step by Fred Langa

The safest and easiest way to install and work with the preview of the next Windows is within a virtual machine — here’s how:
http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/how-to-safely-test-drive-win10-step-by-step/

Charles Calkins

« Reply #49 on: 3 Jun 2015, 03:22 pm »
  I guess Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 real hard.
   I noticed a new (icon???) on my task bar this morning.
   When I opened it the page that came up was about getting Windows 10.
   Anybody else get this on their PC??????

Cheers
                                      Charlie

jeffh

« Reply #50 on: 3 Jun 2015, 03:27 pm »
  I guess Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 real hard.
   I noticed a new (icon???) on my task bar this morning.
   When I opened it the page that came up was about getting Windows 10.
   Anybody else get this on their PC??????

Cheers
                                      Charlie
I saw the same icon on my PC this morning.  I signed up....not sure if I will install it.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #51 on: 3 Jun 2015, 04:20 pm »
It is on all my Windows 7 PC's here. 

It is just a registration link if you want a copy and some info.

After trying WTP for a few months, I am getting it. 

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #52 on: 3 Jun 2015, 05:45 pm »
I also will refuse to buy a subscription.  The current updates to Office are horrendous.  Each year, the new versions get more bloated and worse in my opinion.  It now takes multiple strokes/clicks to do the same thing you could previously do in one or two.  They're horrible. 

As you said, though, we may have to do that.

For me, Windows 10 is out.  I'm running windows media center, and Windows 10 no longer has a version of that. 

2007 from 2003 was a huge change for the better. 2010 to 2007, incrementally so, but very useful.

I haven't gone to Office 2013 yet, but the ALL CAPS ribbon is hard to look at...

JoshK

« Reply #53 on: 3 Jun 2015, 07:43 pm »
We use 2007 at work, and I must confess it took some getting used to versus 2003.   I have a newer version at home (whatever was available 4 months ago) and I do NOT like it.  What's with all the "for dummies" templates and wizards when I just want to open a damn workbook?   I am sure it can be defeated, but still.   

Office is a productivity suite.  In my opinion, changing the look feel and menus with each release is antithesis of productivity advances.   If they develop new tools which greatly increase the usefulness and productivity, then sure the interface can be adapted to make the work flow quicker, but that isn't what is happening and it is terribly maddening for excel pros.   I use excel everyday for work for the last 15 years.   I have the hot keys down cold and mouseless navigation down (which changed a bit in 2007 from 2003, but not too greatly).   Now the newest version f***s all that up, particularly the most useful and productive ones, like cntrl+d, cntrl+r, alt +a, alt+e (special pasting, which I use daily). 

bacobits1

« Reply #54 on: 3 Jun 2015, 11:17 pm »
It just took me 20 minutes and Google on how to boot into "safe mode" on Win 8.1. An HP is a little different again.
Stupid BS drives me crazy wastes way too much time and yea you have to look for everything.

Ya sure I'm going to go to Win 10 . :shake:
NOT!

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #55 on: 4 Jun 2015, 01:13 am »
I don't like 8.1 either, I went from XP, then to Vista and skipped 7. Went straight to 8.1 and I like Vista way better. It had bugs when I first bought it but MS worked them out. I used to be able to hit keys once to get where I wanted. Now it takes at least two keystrokes to do the same thing and the new desktop is useless unless you use a touch screen which I don't. Why not make everything easier to find rather than harder, I don't get it :scratch:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #56 on: 4 Jun 2015, 11:23 am »
Last time MS offer free important software(IE) they broke Netscape.
Anyway a nice gesture to his custumers.

Woodsea

« Reply #57 on: 4 Jun 2015, 02:39 pm »
I will be putting it on my new Macbook Pro, I am not impressed with 8.1 on my daughter's Lenovo laptop. 

tx2sturgis

• Texas Panhandle
« Reply #58 on: 4 Jun 2015, 03:27 pm »
WinTen looks like Linux Mint....multiple desktops and a large start menu...

As Bender said, they all copy each other anyway...

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #59 on: 4 Jun 2015, 04:08 pm »
We use 2007 at work, and I must confess it took some getting used to versus 2003.   I have a newer version at home (whatever was available 4 months ago) and I do NOT like it.  What's with all the "for dummies" templates and wizards when I just want to open a damn workbook?   I am sure it can be defeated, but still.

All of those can usually be turned off immediately with one check box.

Excel in 2007+ is another world. Pivots in 2003 were wonky, but you can actually build dynamic things in the later versions without having to resort to VBA everywhere. Not to mention the graphics options for making things look slick got 100x easier.