Question on install of new 2.1 board.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Question on install of new 2.1 board.
« on: 5 Feb 2015, 12:01 am »
I cannot figure out 1 connection.  On old board a green jumper went from SD on the display board to J4-DA on the main board.  There is no J4-DA on the new board.  Where does the green wire go?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Question on install of new 2.1 board.
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2015, 02:41 pm »
I cannot figure out 1 connection.  On old board a green jumper went from SD on the display board to J4-DA on the main board.  There is no J4-DA on the new board.  Where does the green wire go?

The equivalent pin on the V2/V2.1 is J4-SO (DA - for "DAta", SO - for "SPI (serial data) Out" - same thing).

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2015, 07:40 pm »
Next question - re star ground.  Does it have to be grounded to the case?  Diagram shows symbol for ground coming off the star point - does this mean I need to attach an external true earth ground to this point?  Does ground for 12V trigger need to go to star point as well?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2015, 08:00 pm »
Next question - re star ground.  Does it have to be grounded to the case?  Diagram shows symbol for ground coming off the star point - does this mean I need to attach an external true earth ground to this point?  Does ground for 12V trigger need to go to star point as well?

Star ground means everything that needs to be grounded gets its own pathway to ground. Said differently, avoid daisy-chaining  ground connections. The incoming neutral/ground from your power supply needs to be tied to the star ground. If your PS is a simple 2 wire 12 VDC supply from a wall-wart then just use the ground side of that incoming power - you don't have to run a separate true earth ground in that case. If your PS is a typical H-N-G 3 wire AC main going to rectifier/bridge/filter etc. then the G should go to the star ground. The 12V trigger ground also goes to star ground.

As to whether the case itself has to be grounded, I recommend it also be grounded. Some use the connection to case itself as the star ground point but I prefer some other dedicated star ground point. And if you happen to have a non-metallic case then of course it's a moot point.

Here's how we ground our finished preamps:

All these "grounds" have separate physical connections to single star ground point.

Incoming PS ground
LDR3x power ground
12 V Trigger ground
LDR3x or IO3 left channel ground
LDR3x or IO3 right channel ground
Left channel RCA jack ground (I do daisy chain multiple RCA signal grounds together)
Right channel RCA jack ground

Star grounding equals - No ground loops - No hum - No problem.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2015, 07:07 pm »
OK - all star grounded.

Last assembly question - 5 pin connection for external USB cable to main board. Does red wire go to G or to other end?

And most importantly, my Tortuga remote doesn't work with this board .   Is there some connection I missed?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2015, 07:20 pm »
Think I got the USB connector correct - black is Gd.

Let me know if you have had problems with the remote.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2015, 07:29 pm »
Think I got the USB connector correct - black is Gd.

Let me know if you have had problems with the remote.

The red wire on the USB plug should be on the microcontroller side.

Ok. The original Tortuga Audio remote should work but you first need to pair it with the LDR3x board. First turn on the unit. Then, using the encoder, press/hold the encoder for 20+ seconds and release. Unit should be flashing rapidly indicated it's in remote pairing mode. At that point press the any key on the remote (except the power button). After that the LDR3x should respond to the remote. In fact it should respond interchangeably with both the Apple and the Tortuga remote.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2015, 07:43 pm »
Thanks - all is working perfectly.  I had a minor cardiac event when the remote didn't work - I have 2 more new Tortuga remotes hidden away for future use.