Best A/V pre-amp to go with HT3

Dan

« on: 5 Sep 2003, 07:38 am »
I now have a Sony DA555ES that I am useing as a pre-pro. My HT3 powers my fronts and center and my Sony is pushing the 2 rears. I would like to buy the Tempest, but what would I do about HT and SACD and DVDA,,My limit is $2200..The speakers that I am now useing are Paradigm Mon 9s front,,LCR center and ADP 370 rear,,and servo 15 sub??

avalon65

Re: Best A/V pre-amp to go with HT3
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2003, 07:08 pm »
Quote from: Dan
I now have a Sony DA555ES that I am useing as a pre-pro. My HT3 powers my fronts and center and my Sony is pushing the 2 rears. I would like to buy the Tempest, but what would I do about HT and SACD and DVDA,,My limit is $2200..The speakers that I am now useing are Paradigm Mon 9s front,,LCR center and ADP 370 rear,,and servo 15 sub??

Although their website doesn't state it, the Tempest has an HT bypass option that will fit in nicely with your existing system. I'm shooting for this next year. Do a search in this forum for HT. I think Klaus has even addressed this subject. I spoke with him yesterday about it too, so I know it's available.
As I type this message my eyes keep darting toward the window at every passing vehicle, bird, bug, paperboy as I patiently await the arrival of that big, green/brown truck to deliver my special present from Santa Klaus... :mrgreen:  Oh the horror of angst. ...Damn!  ...just a black mini-van.

Dan

HT BYPASS
« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2003, 09:19 am »
Can anyone please explain to me what exactly is the HT Bypass, Is this an input that I run my reciever through,,and will I still have the ability to recieve SACD..

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2003, 12:36 pm »
A HT bypass on a 2 channel preamp allows you to take the pre amp outs of a A/V proceesor/receiver and run them through the 2ch preamp into the amps.  It's like having two preamps but only one amplifier.

What you do is connect all your HT sources to the A/V pre and your two channel sources to the Tempest.  
When you want HT you put your Tempest in HT bypass mode and the signal flowes through.   You use the A/V pre to do all adjustments.
When you want 2 channel you select the source on the Tempest and let her rip.

Dan

Photo of Rear Tempest with HT Bypass
« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2003, 12:31 am »
Thank you for the responses, just one more thing that I dont Understand and that is, My AV reciever has 5/1 pre-out,do I connect all these pre-outs to the Tempest and if so,, the Tempest must have 5/1 pre-outs also right..I cant find a photo of the rear of a Tempest with the HT Bypass option. Thanks

W.C.

« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2003, 05:17 am »
No, the Tempest is a 2ch preamp. You would take your main pre amp outs from the Sony and run them to the Tempest  as an aux input. Output  from the Tempest for your mains to the HT3. Center ch pre amp out from Sony to HT3.  Rear ch pre amp outs are jumpered because the Sony is taking care of that.

Dan

Sound Quality
« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2003, 07:26 am »
OK..I got it...One last thing though,,,do you think the sound quality is much greater by going the Tempest HT Bypass route,,,,or would you purchase a AV pre amp like an  Anthem or Outlaw 950,,What do you think??

W.C.

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2003, 04:59 pm »
I would be fairly certain that the Tempest would be better than the Outlaw. As far as the Anthem, not really sure.

Dan

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2003, 10:19 pm »
What I really wanted to do was to take the sony out of the picture altogether,but it looks like that wont happen, I have no doubt the Tempest is far better than the Outlaw,,But if you like HT and SACD as much as I do,then the only gain that I will achieve with the Tempest will be in the front L/R channels,,am I correct?  Is their any way the Tempest can be modified to output 5/1 channel,,or does anyone have any suggestions on a A/V pre amp that goes well with my HT3,,limit is $2200.

Eric D

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2003, 10:00 pm »
Quote from: Dan
What I really wanted to do was to take the sony out of the picture altogether,but it looks like that wont happen, I have no doubt the Tempest is far better than the Outlaw,,But if you like HT and SACD as much as I do,then the only gain that I will achieve with the Tempest will be in the front L/R channels,,am I correct?  Is their any way the Tempest can be modified to output 5/1 channel,,or does anyone have any suggestions on a A/V pre amp that goes well with my HT3,,limit is $2200.

The Tempest can't be modded for 5.1 channel  - the HT bypass is to integrate your HT with a 2-channel setup.  If you use the tape loop for the HT bypass like I am, you can route the 2 channels to the AVR and back as well, so you have a choice of either the 2-channel or the AVR multichannel processing - if that affects your HT/SACD thinking.

BTW, If you plan to take the Sony "out of the picture altogether," then don't forget you're going to need another 2 channels of amplification.    Was that consideration in your budget?

Good luck,

Dan

« Reply #10 on: 9 Sep 2003, 07:23 am »
Thanks Eric..what I should of said was I would eventually like to eliminate the Sony when I can find some hard to find Active Paradigm Surrounds..I can play most SACD,s and DVDA,s  in 2 channel mode with the Tempest and probally achieve a sound that is much warmer than with the sony,,,right;;;;What do you think?????

Eric D

« Reply #11 on: 9 Sep 2003, 03:05 pm »
If you know you want the 2-channel mode, then I heartily endorse it (for what very little that's worth! :) ).  If you're going to spend most of your time in multichannel, then not so much.  I already listened to most of my music in 2-channel through my AVR, and then borrowed a friends 2-channel pre to experiment before I decided to make the jump.

But the borrowed pre did not have a HT bypass, so I had to really turn up the volume when using the input from the AVR.  If I didn't remember to turn it down when switching back to the 2-channel input, it got REALLY LOUD - not the best thing at 10:30 or 11 at night.  I consider a HT-bypass pre a must in a combined system.

Later on, I might just get some separate speakers for 2-channel and break out the amp and pre.  So I have options.  At least that's how I'm doing it.

Good luck,