Attn: Anyone looking to build X-LS speakers and need cabinets?

Shives

• I like French fries
Hello!! Welcome to my post! Ha ha

Ok, so I’ve been doing a little home work. Some of us folks at AC, have the skill set and ability to build..but sadly can’t setup the tools to cut MDF, let alone other items required to assemble. Me, well…. Some of you know my position. I found a solution that may help a couple people and myself.

Recently I was able to come up with a couple Sets of X-LS in the factory box, and a X-CS again in factory box with manual even! Ha, I know..

Honestly I searched for hours did a lot of homework and spoke to some folks.

They are black, with I think Gen 2 grill system. I’m going to make this post, then come back and add a photo of two. Currently they are on there way to me! (Excitement yes!)

Here’s the scoop. So, these are NOT ENCORES. They are the original X-SL. They have the famous 6” woofer in them, YES! But, the older version tweeter! Now, from my gathering it looks like some have already done what I’m about to suggest.. (search the forums here) Well, not a suggestion but a way to get things done without table saws and large space to clamp together. 

Note.. again if things were different I would be building these! At some point!

With the original X-LS you’ll have to router out the tweeter hole a bit larger to accommodate the terminals being in a different location. (Bottom rather sides) now I’ve read about this being done, and the tweeter still sits like it should overlapped by mid, and flush. From that point you’ll also have to upgrade the internal network for the new tweeter. Not that big a deal. Add NO RES if you want (I would) and your about done and ready to listen to great speakers! 

You can upgrade the terminal cups with Tube connectors (again, I would)

So, rather then buying flat packs, (nothing wrong with that!! At all) an assembling, then finishing the wood off, well.. you get it.. Your starting with a built cabinet. Finished in black

Depending on what happens… I might be able to router out the tweeter area for you before shipment. Also, being the cabinets are in factory boxes… these can be shipped for a decent price!
UPS has a 25% off coupon till July 19th. THRIVE

Not trying to step on anyone’s toes! Yup, this is still DIY, just having an option for a finished cabinet.

I’ve got a couple sets and the CS. I’m posting to see if anyone else could use the help? Few of you have reached out to me, and are always helpful! So, I’m here to give that back!

Due to Gallery and uploading… I’m posting and then coming back to add here.

Again, you may not like the idea, or you may like the idea… those who have wood shops I’m sure would rather cut! I get it!. Good bit of advise from someone here.. ‘You have to make decision based on your abilities and wants’.
Well, if someone around me had a wood shop up and going, I would by all means buy some MDF and go to town! If you would let me! Ha ha. But that can be a risk! Of course. Someone getting hurt!

Lot of folks don’t release how dangerous a router table can be.

Actually, quite a few people here are AWESOME builders! Just wish I was closer to these people. One persons work I admire very much is Peter!! He is a wood working OG! E-Zze is an OG! This guy builds the networks for people and so so much more at such a reduced cost.. Just for the love of music. as well Hobbs, Corndog, Mr Clark! Adam.. just the list goes on many more of you have been fantastic, the OG’s of AC and GR!  Course Danny none of us would be here without him.

I thank you all for the ideas, help and directions. Really! I want to thank you all now, just so I don’t forget.

I’ll be right back with some photos. If this is something that can really help you.. Like you have ZERO way to assemble.. no wood shop.. but you really want Danny’s speakers.. I might be able to help. This is a very limited solution.

How ever… if you have some money.. and looking for a set built, and beautiful… I mean gosh darn stunning… Check out Peters build! He is selling some X-SL that are to DIE for! I’ve seen them listed around here, and on USAM site. They are a 10 period! Maybe an 11 in quality.

Speakers below are the Original AV line. I thought one of the neat things about these, they have threaded inserts on the bottom and back for different mounting options. I like that a lot.

Maybe you don’t like my idea of taking one of these and modding the cabinets for the new tweeter. Well, that being said you don’t have to comment. Some may think this is a fantastic idea.. really… I’m just trying to help me, and others get the sound they want.

« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2021, 05:26 pm by Shives »

Shives

• I like French fries
Re: Attn: Anyone looking to build X-SL speakers and need help
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2021, 02:18 pm »
As of now, I don’t know what to do with that CS center. It may turn into a parts speaker for the drivers and such. I think it was Corndog that mention that the CS was a nice sounding speaker. As other.. but I think I saw him or could have been someone else.

If someone is looking for the CS center in black, reach out!

If someone is in a position where it’s not possible for them to build.. Send me a message. I rather you not have to open up on the forums.
I don’t need to sell them… And I will say I’m going to be reserved on who gets them. Example.. please don’t take this the wrong way anyone.. but if one of the OG builders asked me for a set, I would be inclined to say no… but very very kindly! Why? They can build beautiful out-right amazing cabinets. Lol.

This is for those who can’t do.. and it’s just an idea. If no one thinks it’s a good idea, or nobody needs… Then by all means I’ll be fine! I’ll give a set away to my uncle and get him out of his Polks or what ever he has.

More so if you want a finished set.. you would have to purchase these, get me the tweeters, No Res and more… and I could provide some work for you. Ok.. enough for now.. I need to go an pay for a tube amp!

To all, I’m very thankful for meeting and working with you! It’s an honor to be among you all! I thank you

Most important.. price! Depending on if anything is needed. 200-300. These will come as you see in the box. Woofer, everything. Just note, they are not Encore version. May even be able to adjust this, and if local. 
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2021, 03:50 pm by Shives »

hawkeyejw

Wow, you found NOS original x series speakers? What an interesting find, pretty cool!

I’m sure you’ll find someone eager to jump on this opportunity. I recommend keeping the set together, it’s likely there’s someone out there that would like the matching LCR set.

Shives

• I like French fries
Thanks!! I thought it was a score!  More so the cabinets are perfect!  Really nice! Grills too! Buying a bare MDF box that together will be 250 alone. Some of us want the sound, but sadly due to health or space.. Maybe both.. they can’t. It sucks!

So, hey… I found a way! If your really into looks… by all means this is an awesome way to get great sound that’s good looking.

Also, I’ll be able to sell a set LCR and still have enough for me.

No, I did not need to get all of this. And I took a chance that maybe some others are in my position. Honestly it pisses me off my current situation, cause I have the skill set to build the cabinets.

So, someone wants LCR sure! No problem. How about LCR and rears. Ok! Let me know folks.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Check with Danny.  He used to have the encore tweeters with faceplates that drop right in place of the classic tweeter holes.  That’s what I did when I scored a pair of the classic X-CS.  The encore tweeters are a lot better.
Of course that also requires the encore crossover too.  And yes, I really liked the X-CS encore as a monitor.  I liked it more than the X-LS.

Shives

• I like French fries
Thanks an awesome idea thanks. I appreciate that!

I may have two of the CS I’ll have to check.

Yes, tweeter and network will need to be done. And would suggest no res.

Once in hand next week. I can add some more photos. I am hoping to use a set as surrounds with Voce and Statik.. for now.

Thanks man

Shives

• I like French fries
Wow. Autocorrect has been kicking my butt I apologize

These are the Book shelf units I’m getting.  Not the towers.

X-LS. On my way now to grab from UPS truck. Once I got I’m going to post up photos, and inspect all 4 sets

These are X-LS bookshelf speakers.