Pairing prima Luna with odyssey?

Davidlsu84

Pairing prima Luna with odyssey?
« on: 1 Feb 2021, 12:47 am »
I have Stratos SE monoblocks in khartago cases. I've always heard odyssey goes great with tubes and have been eyeing the prima for a while just wanted to get everyone's take or any other suggestions. I've decided to upgrade my tower speakers I had a pair of sonus Faber and I've been listening to focal aria 948 and they are right up my alley. Still really new into this hobby with covid and where I'm located in the states not many places I can go demo.

Thanks for your time

David S

jjss49

Re: Pairing prima Luna with odyssey?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2021, 03:55 am »
should work well... i find the input sensitivity on the odyssey amps on the high side, but still within useable range of most linestages like conrad johnson etc... only with the don sachs linestage the sensitivity was a little mismatched and a some of the noise/low level hum of the tube linestage was passed through and audible

focals can definitely use a tube or two in the chain to keep the metal tweeter happy and playing smoothly

JackD

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2021, 04:24 am »
The Evo lines 10db gain should be a really good match with Odyssey's 1 volt input sensitivity and in fact pretty much anything under around 15db will be good. Much over that and you will have some level of tube noise out of more sensitive speakers. 

Davidlsu84

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2021, 05:28 am »
Thank you guys for the quick replies, I've been trying to read up as much as I can. It's pain here in Central Arkansas we don't have to many in this hobby in my area and not many places to demo. I just know I really liked the sound from the aria 948 that I've heard in person and these odyssey Amps are great I just wanted to pair them with a great tube preamp, if you guys have any other suggestions I'm trying to stay in the 3500 range I'm more than open to check out what you suggest

AlTran

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2021, 07:36 pm »
Davidlsu, the best thing to do is to call Klaus who knows what is best matched with his amps & if he's not pickup the phone then you call me I know more about Odyssey amps than most. WARNING... call me will cost you more than anticipated to spend.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2021, 08:08 pm »
  Do not go sideways Call Klaus about His preamps. If you desire a different character in sound look at your front end. Tubed DAC ? Tubed CD player. Buffer ?

charles

Davidlsu84

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2021, 04:16 am »
Davidlsu, the best thing to do is to call Klaus who knows what is best matched with his amps & if he's not pickup the phone then you call me I know more about Odyssey amps than most. WARNING... call me will cost you more than anticipated to spend.

Thank you Tran I just might pick your brain, was lucky enough today to find my speakers for an amazing price so they will arrive next week just need to lock in a new pre now

GM1055

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2021, 02:06 am »
DON'T Call ALLEN! I warned You! Unless you have open Check Book!!  :lol: :icon_lol:

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2021, 02:46 pm »
if he's not pickup the phone then you call me I know more about Odyssey amps than most. WARNING...

Really?? 😂 Very close...👌

geerock

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2021, 04:23 am »
I had Klaus' all in Kismet in Stratos monos that I tried with a Prima Luna pre and it was just ok.
Went with an all in Don Sachs pre with those beautiful sounding Dawning series Shuguang 6sn7 tubes and Miflex caps and that was it for me.  That was the pre that just opened everything else up.  I stream DSD thru a tube DAC and everything comes out of Spatial Audio X5's.  Very very happy with the system.

hi_watt

« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2021, 06:55 pm »
I had Klaus' all in Kismet in Stratos monos that I tried with a Prima Luna pre and it was just ok.
Went with an all in Don Sachs pre with those beautiful sounding Dawning series Shuguang 6sn7 tubes and Miflex caps and that was it for me.  That was the pre that just opened everything else up.  I stream DSD thru a tube DAC and everything comes out of Spatial Audio X5's.  Very very happy with the system.

Who would be the preferred dealer to get those Shuguang 6sn7 tubes? It would be for my Don Sachs pre as well.

Davidlsu84

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2021, 12:41 pm »
How can I find out my input impedance for my monoblocks? Tried to email and call the big man but I work nights so haven't had a chance to speak with him. I've been chatting with Don sachs also sounds like a very good mix

whopnyc

« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2021, 05:08 pm »
I have an Evo 400 pre with an almost new, loaded Kismet stereo amp.  It sounds great. Big soundstage. Not bloomy or tubey (are those words?). I bought the 400 because I also have a balanced amp in my system (Ayre V-5xe).  I previously owned the ProLogue Premium preamp when I had different amps and it was definitely more tubey sounding. In fact, I auditioned the ProLogue and its more expensive sister, the Dialogue, and preferred the ProLogue for its tube-ness. This Evo 400 is outstanding in my system. I did try a Pass X150.8 and it sounded too unexciting as cymbals sounded recessed but the added ambience on jazz and less complex music was outstanding. I could happily live with the Odyssey and Primaluna all day.

JackD

« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2021, 05:17 pm »
The input impedance is 22K ohms.

genjamon

« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2021, 05:31 pm »
DavidLSU84, I have a Don Sachs running into a stereo Odyssey Kismet.  Beware the Don Sachs produces hum in the Odyssey.  I've posts from others with this combination with the same issue.  The Odyssey runs at a relatively high level of gain - 30 or 32 dB if I recall.  So, it amplifies everything it receives quite a lot. 

You may not have any issue with this combination if you have lower sensitivity speakers.  But if you have higher sensitivity speakers (i.e. 95dB or above) it could cause you problems with the Don Sachs and Odyssey combo - especially if you don't have the gain attenuators in the latest Don Sachs iterations.  I have an older version of the Don Sachs that still has the gain attenuators, so I can adjust the gain and get to a good spot where the hum is pretty quiet and not a real problem.  But if I didn't have those attenuators, I would have relatively loud hum easily audible at idle.

The other problem with the high gain of the Odyssey in combo with Don Sachs w/out gain controls and high sensitivity speakers is that you will have very little volume control customizability.  If I set my Don Sachs to full gain, the sound is already somewhat loud at the very first volume setting.  This combination would prevent me from listening at quieter levels at night after my toddler has gone to bed.  So, for me (with Zu speakers in the upper 90's dB sensitivity), the gain control on the Don Sachs is the only way the combo works with Odyssey. 

That said, if you can get the right combination of gain and speaker sensitivity for your listening environment, the combination does sound really good. 

Davidlsu84

« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2021, 10:37 pm »
I think the arias are 95, I was speaking with another person here with same speakers same amp using prima Luna and he's very happy with it.

Thanks for all the info guys and all the pms, have met some really helpful guys the last few days, I really appreciate all the help to a newcomer in this hobby

JackD

« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2021, 12:04 am »
Good luck, but as an owner of four different Odyssey amps I think the pairing of the current Sachs model with it's 18db gain in combination with the Odyssey's 1 volt input sensitivity and the Focal's 95db sensitivity is going to cause a pretty high level of tube rush you are very likely to hear at your listening position.  I tried my current version Sachs with three different amps and my speakers are listed as 93db.  The hiss from tubes was clearly audible from the seating position with two of the amps whose input sensitivities are 1.3 and 1.45 volts.  The only pairing that was quiet at the listening position was with the Van Alstine SET 400 whose input sensitivity is 2.4 volts.  My seating position is almost 12 feet from the speakers. In addition I have found the two input side (left) pair of tubes needs to be very tightly tested for noise.  I could never get any combination of the four tubes shipped with the preamp (Shuguang WE6SN7) to be quiet enough.  This is my setup and you may get lucky with your speakers if their published specs are off using the Sachs but the PrimaLuna at 12db should be a better match. 

Longandstraight

« Reply #17 on: 17 Feb 2021, 04:50 pm »
I have a Rogue RP7 mated with Klaus's latest Kismet Reference Monos. Sounds fantastic  with plenty of flexibility on volume. The Rogue is in .5 steps. Upgrade the tubes if you like and you are good to go.  3k used. There is one on Audiogon . My speakers are Person 5f's with a published sensitivity of 93.   

Zyphryx

« Reply #18 on: 7 Mar 2021, 02:12 pm »
I am using a PL Dialogue with Khartago mono blocks into the Aria 948s and I haven't experienced any tube rush or hissing with either digital or analog source. Even with tube rolling I haven't noticed rushing or hissing. I did experience a very mild "whup" during startup with Brimar tubes but since I put the Sylvanias in, it stopped.