My Harman (JBL M2) Trip

goskers

Re: My Harman (JBL M2) Trip
« Reply #240 on: 11 May 2017, 11:14 pm »
I'll put a pillow at the bottom this time then.

Seriously though, I have help.  No way am I risking damage on something like this.  These are too cumbersome to throw around yourself.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #241 on: 11 May 2017, 11:19 pm »
I'll put a pillow at the bottom this time then.

Seriously though, I have help.  No way am I risking damage on something like this.  These are too cumbersome to throw around yourself.
Makes sense to me.  Be careful and post some pics when they're in place.  Exciting!  I've sent mine to someone else...I don't want to move mine.   :(

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #242 on: 12 May 2017, 12:05 am »
Time for a trip to the basement in a bit.
I hope you got some help!
Gravity my man.  Going down the stairs is the easy part.
Speaker is still 129 lbs.

Wait for it...

Do you even lift, bro?

Quoted for relevance.  :green: :lol:

goskers

« Reply #243 on: 12 May 2017, 12:56 am »
Room is torn apart right now but all are in their rough positions. 

richidoo

« Reply #244 on: 12 May 2017, 01:00 am »
Oooh la la!!  :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #245 on: 12 May 2017, 01:05 am »
Looks good, I bet you are quite excited

goskers

« Reply #246 on: 12 May 2017, 01:15 am »
I'll just have to sit in silence until my pre/pro arrives.  First world problems.

JoshK

« Reply #247 on: 12 May 2017, 01:22 am »
lol.   I am cranking mine (Immortal's At the Heart of Winter) in your honor! :rock:   

P.S.  one of the better and more accessible black metal albums (non-satanic too)

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #248 on: 12 May 2017, 01:25 am »
(being marginally more constructive this time...  :wink:)

That does look impressive!  I don't know if I missed it earlier in the thread, but is the room big enough that you are planning on another pair of M2 for the back channels as well?

Question to you that are running these (or some other) active speaker with some sort of amplification setup that isn't plate amps built into the speakers: do you all have a wiring closet somewhere outside of the room to rack mount the amps, processors, etc. needed to make this all work?  I keep reading about pro amps and fans that sound like jet engines, and I just wonder (being someone in a small room that has to house electronics in room with the speaker setup) if all that sought after low level listening goodness found in these kinds of high efficiency speakers ends up getting lost with a rise in the ambient noise floor in the room due to the gear?  Is this an instance where treating the room to be more on the dead side is the solution to bringing this challenge back to par?

Slightly related tangent (JBL 7-series, maybe the M2 as well): if it seems based on recent threads around there that EQ above 130Hz-ish is more harm than good, does one really need the DSP processing offered as part of the package deal for these speakers?  Is there some FR nastiness inherent in the speaker design that the decision was made by the designers that HAS to be processed out to make the system work, or do the speakers work well enough with just (for the 7-series for example) the single wire amplification config (using a (minimal?) passive crossover built in to the cabinets) to a standard amp without DSP?

Slightly aside, after reading a bit about these speakers, I wonder how Rich's HAL DSP unit with the fancy DACs in it would compare (programmed comparably) to the Crown or BSS setup.

goskers

« Reply #249 on: 12 May 2017, 02:23 am »
(being marginally more constructive this time...  :wink:)

That does look impressive!  I don't know if I missed it earlier in the thread, but is the room big enough that you are planning on another pair of M2 for the back channels as well?

I have 8 305P on hand going to surround duties for a full Atmos setup.

Question to you that are running these (or some other) active speaker with some sort of amplification setup that isn't plate amps built into the speakers: do you all have a wiring closet somewhere outside of the room to rack mount the amps, processors, etc. needed to make this all work?  I keep reading about pro amps and fans that sound like jet engines, and I just wonder (being someone in a small room that has to house electronics in room with the speaker setup) if all that sought after low level listening goodness found in these kinds of high efficiency speakers ends up getting lost with a rise in the ambient noise floor in the room due to the gear?  Is this an instance where treating the room to be more on the dead side is the solution to bringing this challenge back to par?

The pro amps do have fans.  The DCiN variants that we all have are not uber loud but still not silent.  My amp is located next to the center channel right now.  I will be building a quiet box of some sort to cover this as I would like to keep this piece in the front of the room.

Slightly related tangent (JBL 7-series, maybe the M2 as well): if it seems based on recent threads around there that EQ above 130Hz-ish is more harm than good, does one really need the DSP processing offered as part of the package deal for these speakers?  Is there some FR nastiness inherent in the speaker design that the decision was made by the designers that HAS to be processed out to make the system work, or do the speakers work well enough with just (for the 7-series for example) the single wire amplification config (using a (minimal?) passive crossover built in to the cabinets) to a standard amp without DSP?

Passive is not an option with the M2. You are correct that the current data says to leave the EQ above he Schroeder frequency largely alone.  There plenty of options out there if one wishes to find their own way to a DIY M2.  I just don't really care to get into them here. I was aware of the choices and decided to just go with the real deal.

Slightly aside, after reading a bit about these speakers, I wonder how Rich's HAL DSP unit with the fancy DACs in it would compare (programmed comparably) to the Crown or BSS setup.

richidoo

« Reply #250 on: 12 May 2017, 02:29 am »
I was just watching a TV show about orchids, called "Plants Behaving Badly." The shapely M2 horns remind me of the orchid flowers. Huge erotic black flowers, with sonic nectar in the center.  :drool:   :D

JoshK

« Reply #251 on: 12 May 2017, 02:50 am »
I live in an apartment building.  I don't own (my primary habitat that is, I own other) so I can't do permanent installs.  I have a free standing moveable rack with three DCi/N amps in it and it isn't measurable above the normal white noise of living downtown in an apartment building.   But apartment living in downtown cities is louder than 'burbs living.   The I-tech amps though are meant to be leaf blowers.

No one who has demo'd my system has been able to hear the amps with the rack door closed.   I think I have had 6 guys now come over for a listen.

richidoo

« Reply #252 on: 12 May 2017, 03:37 am »

The JBL amps use FIR processing for linear phase XO and EQ filtering. Even the 708P has FIR dsp! The old version of HALs processor was IIR. I'm not sure if the new version can do FIR filters or not. 708P must use pretty fast processor to do 2 xos and 8 PEQs in FIR with the very low latency needed to monitor live sound.

JoshK

« Reply #253 on: 12 May 2017, 04:11 am »
As I understand it most of the main peq functions are IIR with only a few FIR filters (can't recall if the xo is part of this), but that was for the M2, not sure what all the 708P has. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #254 on: 12 May 2017, 11:56 am »
Looks great!   :drool:

rabbit

« Reply #255 on: 12 May 2017, 12:14 pm »
from what iv read the M2 uses minimum phase crossovers, which is why even a $80 minidsp can do it.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #256 on: 12 May 2017, 12:21 pm »
from what iv read the M2 uses minimum phase crossovers, which is why even a $80 minidsp can do it.
Too bad the anechoic will only cost $300k to get the crossover dialed in right like the Crown.   :lol:

rabbit

« Reply #257 on: 12 May 2017, 12:30 pm »
regular 2x4 has a few minor deviations, but the HD Version should do a perfect copy.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #258 on: 12 May 2017, 12:30 pm »
regular 2x4 has a few minor deviations, but the HD Version does a perfect copy.
OK, go for it then!  I'll use the Crown. 

rabbit

« Reply #259 on: 12 May 2017, 12:39 pm »
clearly i was referring to the post above about the complexity of the crossover, not whether you should use the Crown or not.