DAC/Streamers

Tubegem

Re: DAC/Streamers
« Reply #140 on: 19 Jan 2021, 08:11 pm »
Pert G.  Thanks for the reply. Now I can get some sanity back.
How do you find the sound of the BD-3 bRadio & ripped music vs the 3.14 bRadio and attached HD? Does the DSD sound similar to the Sony>3.14?

PeterG

« Reply #141 on: 19 Jan 2021, 08:54 pm »
Hi TubeGem.....here's a convoluted answer to your question....BDP3 vs 3.14 radio....have only had the BDP3 for 1 month and just listen to Paradise Radio lossless....sounds very similar to 3.14.....little difference in my system....was a BP-173 and 3B3...Totem Forest Sig speakers.....the HAP Z1ES....tested the PCM analog out vs the pcm out of the 3.14 attached usb drive...both into the BP-173......detail was very similar....3.14 fuller and a little more bottom end..highs/mids same....I didn't test the DSD because out of the 3.14 dsd is converted to 24/192 pcm......just by recall, the DSD usb out of the HAP into 3.14 vs the BDP3 DSD into the 3.14....the BDP3 has yet more fullness and bottom end ...highs/mids similar..a bit less sparkle......with my kids home from school the last month haven't had a chance for enough critical listening...ie comparing 3.14 attached hd pcm with internal bdp3 hd pcm.......also I've just swapped out the BP173 for a BP26 ....the 17 is boxed and will go with the HAP in a second system...therefore won't be able to do more comparisons betw the HAP and the 3.14 because of the diff pre amps....the 173 and 26 are materially different....hope all that helps...any questions ask away

Tubegem

« Reply #142 on: 27 Jan 2021, 10:32 pm »
Peter G, thanks for the additional information. Please post updates on the differences once broken in.

James: Can you please confirm that DSD cannot transmit via DLNA to the ethernet port. Can’t find sufficient information in the manual.
Downloaded trial copy of Audirvana and connected via dnla renderer on the  3.14. Everything plays fine other than dsd, just no sound. Might keep Audirvana just as a library replacement for iTunes, lovely interface and very responsive.

Folks, now that I know that the Sony-Hap cannot properly dance with the 3.14, I’m still looking for a solution to get my dsd files to play. Any suggestions other than a BDA3 at this time? Not interested in Roon.  :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #143 on: 5 Mar 2021, 01:24 pm »

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BDA-3.14 Review France Special Award

March 2021

"Diapason d'Or Award”

Take a BDA-3 DAC, add a BDP network platform, communicate them via an I2S link - transport the data independent of clock signals to eliminate jitter, sprinkle a lot of entries and internal Manic Moose software, and you get the BDA-3.14. The 3.14 can also be used as a preamplifier as it is equipped with an adjustment volume by software, add the 3.14 to an amplifier or a pair of active speakers and you're done.

The BDA-3.14 can accommodate ten different sources, including 4 HDMI and 2 USB-B, 1 AES / EBU, 2 S / PDIF RCA and BNC, 1 Toslink. PCM signals are decoded up to 32 Bits / 384 kHz and DSD up to DSD256. The device is Roon ready and compatible with Tidal, Qobuz and stream radios Internet. Digital circuits and analog stages are supplied separately. The DAC works according to a dual mono architecture with AKM AK4490 chips and the output stages are pure class A, optionally unbalanced on RCA or balanced on XLR. In the latter mode, Bryston announces a rejected noise level at -140 dB ... Bryston has been manufacturing in Canada for more than 35 years audio equipment for the professional world as well as for the general public, and it shows. Simple, robust, efficient.

Listening: The BDA-3.14 is delivered with a remote control which combines the main functions, choice of sources, volume, playback controls. A wi-fi dongle is optional with a supplement of 120 €. To see the source files displayed and to control the device more finely, it is necessary to connect an Internet terminal, and to launch the Manic Moose software on this browser. Once "The Manic Moose" is on the screen - everything is under control, file management, play queues, access to Tidal or Qobuz, choice sources, etc. The streamer is not the fastest there is, but it works smoothly.

And the sound:  This is THE strong point of this apparatus. Whether in pure DAC or when playing streamed files, the BDA-3.14 makes you completely forget the technology and allows you to concentrate on background and on musical emotion and the multitude of sound elements entering in play. The most astonishing thing is that this multitude is deployed in a grandiose soundscape that completely shatters the classic geometry of the listening triangle, not only  in its standardized dimension but also in its tone and dynamic capacity, able to rediscover your speakers as they transposed into a larger world, more ventilated and freer. An ... addictive experience

The perfect streamer + DAC match.

Tubegem

« Reply #144 on: 7 Mar 2021, 07:33 pm »
James:

Can you please confirm that DSD cannot transmit via DLNA to the ethernet port. Can’t find sufficient information in the manual.
Downloaded a copy of Audirvana and connected via dnla renderer on the  3.14. Everything plays fine other than dsd, just no sound.

Mac mini + audirvana > ethenet cat 6 > 3.14

Thank you

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #145 on: 7 Mar 2021, 08:19 pm »
James:

Can you please confirm that DSD cannot transmit via DLNA to the ethernet port. Can’t find sufficient information in the manual.
Downloaded a copy of Audirvana and connected via dnla renderer on the  3.14. Everything plays fine other than dsd, just no sound.

Thank you

I will have to let Chris answer that but I know the 3.14 Pi does not play native DSD - it down samples it to PCM 192.

james

Danatbeach

• Hi there
« Reply #146 on: 10 Mar 2021, 08:29 am »
Hi I’m new here so I’m sorry for the newbie questions. First why don’t people just use like an Apple TV box and stream tidal instead of spending thousands on expensive streamers?

Tyreman

« Reply #147 on: 15 Mar 2021, 10:49 pm »
Does anyone know if Spotify will be available added on Bryston Streamers?

Tubegem

« Reply #148 on: 23 Mar 2021, 11:12 pm »
I will have to let Chris answer that but I know the 3.14 Pi does not play native DSD - it down samples it to PCM 192.

james
Hi James, i have not heard from Chris.
Can someone please clarify. I believe HDD inputs go to the Pi and get down converted. But there is no mention as to what the ethernet input supports that I can see.
Any ETA on the Moose or at least the bRadio replacement?
Thank you, Ed

cmccaul

« Reply #149 on: 28 Mar 2021, 06:18 pm »
Any plans for a replacement of the discontinued BDP-pi?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #150 on: 28 Mar 2021, 07:03 pm »
Hi cmc

Yes we are looking at some ideas.

james

Clive197

« Reply #151 on: 29 Mar 2021, 06:02 pm »
I have asked this question in the BR20 section but I would like to go to the general populace.
I have a BR20 and use Qobuz via an iPad. How do I put in or remove a favourite?
James has told me a way but he use a PC and his method does not work on an iPad. Can any IOS user help?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #152 on: 29 Mar 2021, 10:47 pm »
I have asked this question in the BR20 section but I would like to go to the general populace.
I have a BR20 and use Qobuz via an iPad. How do I put in or remove a favourite?
James has told me a way but he use a PC and his method does not work on an iPad. Can any IOS user help?

Hi Clive

It works on my IPAD

james

Clive197

« Reply #153 on: 30 Mar 2021, 09:22 am »
Thank you James, I will keep trying, however I suspect that I’m going to stick to my Auralic Aries G1 and Lightening DS app, as I think it is slick and easy to operate. Down to personal taste in the end which is not taking anything away from the BR20 which to my mind is a brilliant addition to my system.

Clive197

« Reply #154 on: 30 Mar 2021, 01:13 pm »
Hi James

I have scrolled the album cover thumbnail left and as it moves over and when I let go it just disappears!

However I have found a work-around. By logging on to the Qobuz app on my iPad I have full control of favourites, then back to My.Bryston and all is sweet. I don’t need to alter favourites daily and sometimes not for weeks. So after nearly a week I’ve found ways of bi-passing my two problems. Using a SSD instead of a NAS and using Qobuz dedicated app for fine control. Viola.

Thank you and others for your help and hope I’m not too much of a PITA.

Clive

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #155 on: 30 Mar 2021, 03:38 pm »
Great - glad you were able to sort it out.

james

Clive197

« Reply #156 on: 1 Apr 2021, 09:23 am »
Hi Clive

It works on my IPAD

james

Sorry James, not helpful.

I’ve downloaded the Magic Moose instructions, so I’ll try that.

Clive
« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2021, 10:59 am by Clive197 »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #157 on: 1 Apr 2021, 11:16 am »
Sorry James, not helpful.

I’ve downloaded the Magic Moose instructions, so I’ll try that.

Clive

Very strange :scratch:

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #158 on: 2 Apr 2021, 03:12 pm »
James:

Thank you

DSD was never tested with UPNP so I assume not.  I generally don't don't test the feature very frequently and when I do I don't test anything more the a handful of CD quality tracks.  It's not a popular service on our platform to and there's a reason why UPNP was an after thought in the first place.

The Digital Player in the BDA-3.14 is unable to play DSD as DSD for the same reason why it's SPDIF inputs are unable to accept DSD via DoP.  Between the input and the DAC chip is a piece of hardware that won't recognize DSD and prevents the PCM packets from continuing along.

Chris

Clive197

« Reply #159 on: 3 Apr 2021, 09:21 am »
I’m a little confused. On my iPad the display is different from the display shown in the manual on one line of Magic Moose.
On my iPad Update/Clear/Consume is in the centre of the screen, the buttons for Song Info and Media Player Settings are on the far left and the buttons for Default View, Song View and Artist View are on the far right.
Why is it different on my device, does it make a difference. Have I downloaded the wrong version of Manic Moose?
My iPad uses the latest firmware (14.4.2). My Bryston device is the BR20. Can anybody tell what’s happening?