NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!

OB_Newbie

Re: NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!
« Reply #2160 on: 30 Dec 2014, 03:43 am »
One easy way is to just suspend them with a couple of elastic bands. For my 2x4 panels I cut a 16" circle to sit on top of my H frames, attached a 1x3 frame, narrow edge toward the panel about 15"x48" so that it doesn't show. I put short screws into the back side of the panel 1" below top edge 15" apart, 2 more near top of the frame (longer screws) small elastic band about 1" in diameter lets the panel hang free and nothing shows. EPS is so light that not much is needed. Even the speaker wire holds the panels from swinging. Several ways of doing it are shown in this long thread. I prefer not to restrict the movement of the panels. I have in the past attached them to a frame using pieces of foam backer rod which did restrict movement a little but it didn't seem to be a problem. I haven't worried much about a permanent arrangement because the experimenting becomes an addiction. My wife is used to it and likes the sound of the panels too. Rich I think your chances of staying off the shit list are slim at best. It sounds like you are getting hooked too.

LOL, yeah I was afraid of that Jim.... and yes... I'm totally hooked man!!!  Going to try hard to lay off the music tonight so I can get to bed before 3:00 so I might just be able to wake up at a decent time to get going on the frames early tomorrow.  :-)

This sounds like a good idea and had thought of the same thing but rubber band on the top and bottom to pull at one another.  Might damp the panel a little but I'm getting noise from my large panels so might try that.

What thickness are your 2x4 panels?  With the panel noise I'm getting I'm wondering if I should go back to the 1" panels?!?   

j gale

« Reply #2161 on: 30 Dec 2014, 06:20 am »
My 2'x4' panels are 3/4" thick. It's messy but sanding off the surface skin left by the hot wire cutting and Sedges PVA treatment will drastically improve the noise of your big panels. They will sound much more natural as well. That skin has to go if you want to hear what these are capable of. Just coating them as is won't do it.

Odal3

« Reply #2162 on: 30 Dec 2014, 06:25 am »
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I finally had a chance to mount the "thruster" exciter. With the lack of a good EPS board, I put it on a 1/8" birch board - high quality from a special woodshop. Size ~2.5 x 5 ft. Put the exciter on monacor 1 position using tape for easy experimentation. I wasn't able to play it super loud yet but it plays much louder at the same volume than my other panels. In fact, it completely overplayed my older 2 x 4 board (1/4 thickness but with 4 exciters). But while it played louder and perhaps also deeper, the first impression of the sound compared to the other panel was worse overall with muted highs, a bit slow bass (mushy) and therefore somewhat lifeless. The exciter needs to burn in and zygar mentioned it has a long burn in time so it may improve some, but I really think the thinner plywoods are not rigid enough to be used for panels (the sound from guitar string not properly tensioned comes to mind ), but the thicker panels with multiple layers are really much better if you can live with the lower sensitivity. This was my same impression from using thinner oak panels as well - plays louder but doesn't sound as good.

Per your comments, the EPS panels sounds even better so I hope to get hold of one soon.

OB Newbie -  still like your XPS panels? Are they worth a try or is the muted sound still there?

Btw: Great "panel music" recommendations. Any other good cello recordings? What about some good solo piano?

sedge

« Reply #2163 on: 30 Dec 2014, 02:50 pm »
J Gale
When I first heard the podium 1s I thought wow this is fantastic but after about 10 minutes I noticed their was something missing ,the top end although it was there sounded flat and lifeless ,I listened for a good hour or two and the more I listened the worse it got.
Walking behind the panel ,it sounded brighter with more life ,which at the time I preferred .
With the panels I have used I now know this sound from the back exciter area to have phase problems and long time listening is not a pleasure ,the fr above 10k is also cut short even though it sounded brighter .I have just presumed that it was the the spider and coil buzzing coursing the problem ?,things do shake around a lot at the back including the lead out wires which can be too tight or loose(hitting on the spider) ,a good thing to check.
OB newbie
If you can show a fr plot with pics near and far ,it could give us an idea of what is goin on with your panels.
Steve

OB_Newbie

« Reply #2164 on: 30 Dec 2014, 04:52 pm »
My 2'x4' panels are 3/4" thick. It's messy but sanding off the surface skin left by the hot wire cutting and Sedges PVA treatment will drastically improve the noise of your big panels. They will sound much more natural as well. That skin has to go if you want to hear what these are capable of. Just coating them as is won't do it.

Yeah, these panels are in need of treatment for sure.  I sanded and treated the small panels with Sedge's patent pending wonder coat but rushed to hear what a large panel can do with low freq.  Um...I want my candy! 

Now the XPS panels I have don't seem to have a skin at all... they are soft and silky smooth to the touch... no way these came straight off a hot wire.  Owner-Corning must "finish" these or its a different mfg process to form these XPS panels?  Either way, I will sand and treat them today and see what we have here. 

BTW... was still up past 1:30 again last night... just can't seem to leave these alone...  :duh:
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2015, 11:52 pm by OB_Newbie »

OB_Newbie

« Reply #2165 on: 30 Dec 2014, 05:25 pm »
OB Newbie -  still like your XPS panels? Are they worth a try or is the muted sound still there?

Yes, I do like the XPS panels.  More experimentation is needed to get the size, thickness and treatment correct but I like my 2 ft. x 2 ft. panels.  They sound wonderful and do feel that XPS is certainly on the right track.

Considering the thin birch panel you are using now.  To improve the high frequency response I would think some reinforcement of the top and bottom edge or portions of the side would stiffen the panel and improve the high freq response.  And if you feel the thinner panels are done you might as well also try to attach the exciter with hard glue to get a good stiff bond to the panel before abandoning this birch panel. 

I'm sure the wood panels cost more than the exciters.  You can always order more exciters.  :-)   I'm waiting for a New Years sale at PE to try the "thruster" exciters... maybe we could do a group buy to get better prices?!?  I'd be happy to post exciters to new homes as needed.

Odal3

« Reply #2166 on: 30 Dec 2014, 05:51 pm »
The birch panels are only $10 each and the 4 X2 at home depot are similarly priced (and if you don't cut or sand on them they can prob be returned if they don't work out).

There were some more details on the different EPS vh equivalent grades availavle in the US on pages 52 and 53 but I wasnt able to find a conclusion (ran out of time). I also think some people use hard eps for surfboards.

OB_Newbie

« Reply #2167 on: 30 Dec 2014, 06:04 pm »
The birch panels are only $10 each and the 4 X2 at home depot are similarly priced (and if you don't cut or sand on them they can prob be returned if they don't work out).

There were some more details on the different EPS vh equivalent grades availavle in the US on pages 52 and 53 but I wasnt able to find a conclusion (ran out of time). I also think some people use hard eps for surfboards.

Sorry Odal, I was thinking your '1/8" birch board - high quality from a special woodshop' were birch ply's with no voids... the top quality stuff.  I attempted a TABAQ TL for a set of Tang Bands with the Home Depot birch panels a few years ago.  Completed the cabinets but was so disappointed with all the voids on the exposed edges that I never finished them.  Probably a perfectionist in that case but can say the quality of their panels is low like the price.   :D

Odal3

« Reply #2168 on: 30 Dec 2014, 06:28 pm »
I hear you on the voids. In regards to the special wood store I found the quality was much much better and I was surprised with the low price... but maybe it is the voids that make it sound better ??? Will try to braze the thinner panels. Back to the EPS hunt

schreck83

« Reply #2169 on: 30 Dec 2014, 10:10 pm »

There were some more details on the different EPS vh equivalent grades available in the US on pages 52 and 53 but I wasnt able to find a conclusion (ran out of time). I also think some people use hard eps for surfboards.

Has anyone tried foil-faced poly isocyanurate board?  I haven't looked at specs but it seems to be more rigid than XPS and lighter.  Commonly available in the US in 1/2" to 1" thicknesses....

sedge

« Reply #2170 on: 31 Dec 2014, 01:54 pm »
Schenck83
Have only seen this panel in 1inch thickness or larger in UK ,have been tempted to get a panel and strip the foil off ,a few years ago I glued foil onto eps but it over damped the panel,if you try it please let us know how it sounds ,if it is over damped you can always strip the foil off and sand it down then add 50 50 pva and water.
Steve

OB_Newbie

« Reply #2171 on: 1 Jan 2015, 04:42 pm »
I hear you on the voids. In regards to the special wood store I found the quality was much much better and I was surprised with the low price... but maybe it is the voids that make it sound better ??? Will try to braze the thinner panels. Back to the EPS hunt

Hey Odal, if you don't mind me asking but the wood store, is it a chain store by chance?   

Odal3

« Reply #2172 on: 2 Jan 2015, 04:33 am »
Local speciality lumber store in Indianapolis that carry a lot of different kinds of wood (including many excotic hardwoods),  plus they are super nice and helpful (even had some suggestions when I mentioned what I would use it for). I'm guessing there must be similar lumber stores in most major cities

http://www.northwestlumberco.com/

Odal3

« Reply #2173 on: 2 Jan 2015, 04:38 am »
Has anyone tried foil-faced poly isocyanurate board?  I haven't looked at specs but it seems to be more rigid than XPS and lighter.  Commonly available in the US in 1/2" to 1" thicknesses....

Yes, I had some larger scrap pieces at home several months ago. I didn't know about the re-skinning method at the time so I only played them as-is. They didn't sound good in stock condition - very muffled - kind of like you would put a pillow over a speaker. So I abandoned it quickly. But perhaps Sedge's trick will make them sing. I don't have one at home to try.

zygadr

« Reply #2174 on: 2 Jan 2015, 07:42 am »
VH EPS AND "THRUSTER REVIEW"

Thrusters are mounted in number one position as per Monacor placement /recommendations.
First thing that becomes immediately noticeable is the significant increase in volume/efficiency of these new tech. exciters!!!!
Second is the fact that the VH EPS available here in Western Australia has no "skin" ..........it just has a finely textured surface that has no shine or anything that I can tell that resembles a surface that needs to be sanded and replaced by PVA glue.
Third point is that as expected- the 6X2 sheet at 20mm thick is far, far more rigid than standard EPS at the same thickness.

The sound is very interesting to say the least.
The speakers totally disappeared as each track or radio program changed. However, never once was there any question as to what was in the left channel, centre or right channel.
Depth was truly amazing, as was the obvious acoustic venue or closed in studio miking which plagues so many recordings.
"Dynamics"?.........WOW!!!!!.........absolutely the best I have ever heard from a DML!!!.......don't know if it's the thruster exciters or the more rigid panells? The PERCUSSION XX recording mentioned in one of my last posts is jaw dropping..........different!......strangely so.....very weird, yet so compellingly REAL!!!
Top end is very natural but not as fierce or prominent as the thinner EPS with standard exciters. Only burn in time will tell if this area changes or not as it could be the exciters or, once again, just the fact that a thicker panel is being used?
Detail?.............it's all there........trust me.
Mid-bass?.........lots of tonal colours and contrasts........truly outstanding, massive dynamics as already mentioned.
Low bass?........ Jury still out on this one.........panels are free standing and not mounted as yet.

Rob.

« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2015, 09:14 am by zygadr »

OB_Newbie

« Reply #2175 on: 2 Jan 2015, 09:15 am »
Yes, I had some larger scrap pieces at home several months ago. I didn't know about the re-skinning method at the time so I only played them as-is. They didn't sound good in stock condition - very muffled - kind of like you would put a pillow over a speaker. So I abandoned it quickly. But perhaps Sedge's trick will make them sing. I don't have one at home to try.

I checked out the foil faced panels at the Home Depot tonight and even if you stripped the foil it won't be a good panel material.  Feeling is with my finger and scratching with a nail, the foam was on the soft side and crumbly?!?!  An over damped material I'm afraid.

While at HD today and got a 1" thick XPS panel cut into 2 ft. x 4 ft. panels.  Have them sanded, rounded corners. all sides rounded over with router and handed sanded.  2 coats of Sedge'd magic coat.   :D

Gluing on exciters after the 2nd coat of PVA... can't wait.
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2015, 03:31 pm by OB_Newbie »

OB_Newbie

« Reply #2176 on: 2 Jan 2015, 09:23 am »
VH EPS AND "THRUSTER REVIEW"

Thrusters are mounted in number one position as per Monacor placement /recommendations.
First thing that becomes immediately noticeable is the significant increase in volume/efficiency of these new tech. exciters!!!!
Second is the fact that the VH EPS available here in Western Australia has no "skin" ..........it just has a finely textured surface that has no shine or anything that I can tell that resembles a surface that needs to be sanded and replaced by PVA glue.
Third point is that as expected- the 6X2 sheet at 20mm thick is far, far more rigid than standard EPS at the same thickness.

The sound is very interesting to say the least.
The speakers totally disappeared as each track or radio program changed. However, never once was there any question as to what was in the left channel, centre or right channel.
Depth was truly amazing, as was the obvious acoustic venue or closed in studio miking which plagues so many recordings.
"Dynamics"?.........WOW!!!!!.........absolutely the best I have ever heard from a DML!!!.......don't know if it's the thruster exciters or the more rigid panells? The PERCUSSION XX recording mentioned in one of my last posts is jaw dropping..........different!......strangely so.....very weird, yet so compellingly REAL!!!
Top end is very natural but not as fierce or prominent as the thinner EPS with standard exciters. Only burn in time will tell if this area changes or not as it could be the exciters or, once again, just the fact that a thicker panel is being used?
Detail?.............it's all there........trust me.
Mid-bass?.........lots of tonal colours and contrasts........truly outstanding, massive dynamics as already mentioned.
Low bass?........ Jury still out on this one.........panels are free standing and not mounted as yet.

Rob.

Thanks for the update Ziggy... I was JUST going to ask how you were coming along with the new thrusters.  Was holding off on a PE purchase until I heard the good word.   :)   Off to PE I go.  Man, you are having an adverse impact on my thinning wallet these days.  And I thank you for it!

I'm back to listening to my small panels.  After Sedge's magic coat has hardened they sound even better!!!  Exciters also broken in helps as well I'm sure.

New 2 ft. x 4 ft. 1 inch XPS panels drying.  Its 3:25 and I'm still typing and saying "just 1 more track"...   :duh:

OB_Newbie

« Reply #2177 on: 2 Jan 2015, 09:25 am »
Hey Sedge.... you there???

Your magic coat... are you coating both sides these days or just the back???

OB_Newbie

« Reply #2178 on: 2 Jan 2015, 09:30 am »
Ziggy...  what thruster model did you order???  The one with the lower FS???

OB_Newbie

« Reply #2179 on: 2 Jan 2015, 03:53 pm »
Local speciality lumber store in Indianapolis that carry a lot of different kinds of wood (including many excotic hardwoods),  plus they are super nice and helpful (even had some suggestions when I mentioned what I would use it for). I'm guessing there must be similar lumber stores in most major cities

http://www.northwestlumberco.com/

Thanks Odal, I get to Indi a few times a year so I might have to swing by that place...Thanks for the info! 

btw - I listened to my small XPS panels last night again and all I can say is WOW... Sedge's magic wonder coat (and exciter break in) has improved by leaps and bounds now that is hardened, I can NOT hear panel noise and this is even listening to Muddy Waters "Folk Singer"... a very dynamic recording.  And this was even at loud levels!!!  A particular track even causes problems for some of my costly full-range drivers in OB but the panels sang effortlessly last night!?!?  I had to turn the volume down for this recording just a few days ago!!!

THANKS GOES TO STEVE AND HIS MAGIC WONDER COAT.    Thanks Sedge!!!