Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

1000a

Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #180 on: 16 Apr 2009, 11:14 pm »

Joe Jackson - any
Peter Wolf- Sleepless
Buena Vista Social Club
Sonny Rollins-  Saxophone Colossus
Ali Farka Toure & Tuomani Diabatie- In the Heart of the Moon - (recorded in an African Hut- exceptional sound quality)
Steve Turre-  TNT / Sanctified Shells / In the Spur of the Moment
Chucho Valdes- Live at the Village Vanguard / Bele Bele en La Habana
Clark Terry-  Live-Village Gate   
Taj Mahal- Shoutin in Key (Live) / Senor Blues
Dire Straits- any (especially the remasters)
Patrica Barber- any
Steely Dan- more recent stuff
Little Carlie and the Night Cats- Disturbing the Peace (CA band - jump blues-very funny lyrics, fantastic harp- mind numbing guitar- just fantastic stuff)
Jimmie Lee Robinson- All My Life  (acoustic blues recorded in an old church- Blue Heaven Studios -direct 2 track analog)

ck out anything recorded in Blue Heaven Studios  :drool:  :drool:

1000a

« Reply #181 on: 16 Apr 2009, 11:22 pm »
left out a couple

John Mellencamp- Trouble No More (acoustic stuff very good really like this cd, excellent sound Q)
Jorma Kaukonen-  Blue Country Heart    :D
Ry Cooder -any (recent 10 yrs all good sound Q)

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #182 on: 16 Apr 2009, 11:29 pm »
fishinbob,

I understand your post and comments, its good to be honest on how you feel about the stuff we post here and listen to.
Zybar and brucemck both thougt that Dark Angel was an outstanding song...

I just got the live Allison Krauss Live and will give it a listen to soon and let you know how I like it as well.

Again its ok to disagree about what is a demo disk etc...

Just keep finding new stuff and keep sharing what you think is outstanding....

All the best
Alex

1000a, many thanks for the recommendations, I need to try some of the Dire Straits stuff, its been a long time since I have listened to them.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #183 on: 17 Apr 2009, 12:50 am »
I need to try some of the Dire Straits stuff, its been a long time since I have listened to them.
"Brothers in Arms" XRCD. After a few decades of disdain for Dire Straits, this particular release changed my mind.

Since Mr. 1000a brought up Steely Dan....Has anybody mentioned Donald Fagen yet?
"The Nightfly", "Morph the Cat", and "Kamakiriad" are very nice.
"Morph the Cat" has some silly bass in it.  :icon_twisted:

Bob

rahimlee54

« Reply #184 on: 17 Apr 2009, 01:13 am »
Dream Theater-Images and words one of my favorite cds, not for everyone but I dig them.

This thread is cool I am making my next order list :).

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #185 on: 17 Apr 2009, 01:22 am »
I really like Dream Theater, but (personally), I'd pass on the 20th Anniversary DVD-A of "Score".... :shake:
Not good (imho) in the sound quality category.

Bob

TJC712

« Reply #186 on: 17 Apr 2009, 03:52 am »
I need to try some of the Dire Straits stuff, its been a long time since I have listened to them.
"Brothers in Arms" XRCD. After a few decades of disdain for Dire Straits, this particular release changed my mind.

Since Mr. 1000a brought up Steely Dan....Has anybody mentioned Donald Fagen yet?
"The Nightfly", "Morph the Cat", and "Kamakiriad" are very nice.
"Morph the Cat" has some silly bass in it.  :icon_twisted:

Bob

Fagen's Nightfly certainly worth the price of admission.  Esperanza by Esperanza Spalding is very interesting and worth a listen. Some unique sounds from a talented, young female bassist.  Uses all top shelf musicians on her album... great sound thru the ST's.

TJC712

« Reply #187 on: 17 Apr 2009, 04:18 am »
Another relatively obscure guy that sounds great thru my ST's is Phil Roy out of Philly.  I have 2 CD's of his (Grouchyfriendly and The Great Longing) that I like quite a bit. He writes some interesting, eclectic stuff with some cool lyrics.  Probably a little bit of an acquired taste but talented, nonetheless.

TJC712

« Reply #188 on: 17 Apr 2009, 04:38 am »
One last choice before I call it a night.  For you older "gray hairs" like myself, If you want to hear some crisp/clean swing, check out Harry Allen Meets the John Pizzarelli Trio.  Simply put... a great tenor sax joins a tight, top notch jazz trio playing some old standards... well recorded, easy listen. 

charmerci

« Reply #189 on: 17 Apr 2009, 06:20 pm »
Paul Simon's One Trick Pony

Its a bit more bluesy/jazzy than his normal stuff.

fishinbob

« Reply #190 on: 17 Apr 2009, 10:12 pm »
Paul Simon's One Trick Pony

Its a bit more bluesy/jazzy than his normal stuff.

I don't have that one yet, but do have a couple of the others he's done and they are well engineered discs. I have played cuts from his Graceland album more than once to show off my system. You Can Call Me Al is one that comes to mind, brass and a driving beat, enough bass and not to much synth, a real toe tapper that deserves to be cranked up a bit :thumb:

Thanks to lonewolfny42 for this one (below). Topnotch :thumb:

rahimlee54

« Reply #191 on: 17 Apr 2009, 10:26 pm »
Everyone needs a copy of http://www.amazon.com/Holst-Planets-Gustav/dp/B000050AQC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1240007102&sr=8-1]http://www.amazon.com/Holst-Planets-Gustav/dp/B000050AQC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1240007102&sr=8-1This]http://www.amazon.com/Holst-Planets-Gustav/dp/B000050AQC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1240007102&sr=8-1
Just got mine earlier this week and I really enjoy it, I am still waiting on my Salks to let me know how good it really is, sounds good on my HD555 though on the Comp.

Can  you hyper link text with the link here?
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2009, 01:58 pm by rahimlee54 »

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #192 on: 18 Apr 2009, 02:43 am »
El Corazon by Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell
Walking with Giants by Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey

cop1s

« Reply #193 on: 18 Apr 2009, 03:39 am »
Try Quiet Letters or Afterlife from Bliss

jhm731

« Reply #194 on: 18 Apr 2009, 04:05 am »
Astral Weeks Live at the Hollywood Bowl

"The only thing I love is the music. The rest of it is pure shit." - Van Morrison

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #195 on: 18 Apr 2009, 05:49 am »
Try this one for a good variety of tunes, well recorded...and fun. :wink:

Three Mo' Tenors...... :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #196 on: 18 Apr 2009, 08:13 am »
At the risk of being accused of extreme bias (I recorded it), this is well recorded and fun, too: http://tinyurl.com/Canadian-Tenors
but it is quickly disappearing into the mists of time after only 4 years because the tenors disbanded and re-formed a year later with entirely new personnel.  :cry:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #197 on: 18 Apr 2009, 12:32 pm »
Good Morning!

Looks like a great day in North Carolina today, no rain, blue skies. 78 degree high!! So its off to chopping into some concrete to fix a drainage problem with a downspout!  :duh:

Well I listened to the Allison Krauss & Union Station. I got the DVD version with DTS 5.1 and Dolby 5.1 and 2ch.

Not being a bluegrass fan, it took several cuts to warm up to and start really appreciating the talent and voice of Allison Krauss.  I listened to the entire concert and it was marvelous.

Let me cut to the chase, I will be buying more of Allison Krauss....just want to get their recordings that are well recorded...many say "anything by Allison Krauss" are any of her recordings that stand out as being well recorded than others?

And many thanks for the new posts and more great selections!

Later
Alex
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2009, 07:55 pm by adydula »

fishinbob

« Reply #198 on: 18 Apr 2009, 02:12 pm »
Good Morning!

Looks like a great day in North Carolina today, no rain, blue skies. 78 degree high!! So its off to chopping into some concrete to fix a drainage problem with a downspout!  :duh:

Well I listened to the Allison Krauss & Union Station. I got the DVD version with DTS 5.1 and Dolby 5.1 and 2ch.

Not being a bluegrass fan, it took several cuts to warm up to and start really appreciating the talent and voice on Allison Krauss.  I listened to the entire concert and it was marvelous.

Let me cut to the chase, I will be buying more of Allison Krauss....just want to get their recordings that are well recorded...many say "anything by Allison Krauss" are any of her recordings that stand out as being well recorded than others?

And many thanks for the new posts and more great selections!

Later
Alex

Hey Alex .. glad you enjoyed it. Two of my favorite studio cuts from them (her) are New Favorite on the album of the same name and the last one I mentioned which is It Doesn't Matter from So Long So Wrong.

There are some very good tracks on both and are of a more recent vintage. Some of the earlier stuff is also good and you will notice how her singing style has changed somewhat over the years. Not quite so country sounding these days. :thumb:

grenamc

« Reply #199 on: 18 Apr 2009, 03:33 pm »
I haven't read the entire thread, so it is likely this has been mentioned already.  I like Neil Young's "Live at Massey Hall 1971".  I think it has a great sense of space and the recording quality is, IMO, quite excellent.  Neil and a guitar or piano.  The guitar has some wonderful body to it, but sadly the piano is not rendered as well.  His voice is captured brilliantly, though.  I highly recommend it. 

-Michael