Hello, New Kismet Stereo amp owner :)

brad1138

• Don't forget to dance.... Don't forget to smile.
Hello, New Kismet Stereo amp owner :)
« on: 4 Feb 2021, 01:08 am »
Introducing myself as requested. I recently replaced my Levinson amp with an Odyssey Kismet. I am very happy with the move.

brad1138

Re: Hello, New Kismet Stereo amp owner :)
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2021, 04:03 am »
I guess I could ask my question here. The only thing I miss about the Levinson is its "tubey" sound. Would a Candela help? 

Every time I compare components, the more detailed one wins. Which is how I ended up with my current Axiom II Walker mod passive preamp. Every time I try tubes, I find them less detailed, if no just distorted and noisy. I am not interested in the Candela if it isn't also very clean.

Thanks

kannibal

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2021, 11:12 pm »
Hi! Welcome.

Very nice looking faceplate on the Kismet. What color is it?

I am intrigued by Tekton speakers. Hopefully I’ll get to hear some someday.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2021, 11:52 pm »
I guess I could ask my question here. The only thing I miss about the Levinson is its "tubey" sound. Would a Candela help? 

Every time I compare components, the more detailed one wins. Which is how I ended up with my current Axiom II Walker mod passive preamp. Every time I try tubes, I find them less detailed, if no just distorted and noisy. I am not interested in the Candela if it isn't also very clean.

Thanks

I’d call Klaus.  He can best address your Candela question and can also discuss his solid state preamp, the Tempest.

Lkdog

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2021, 12:41 pm »
I use a VAC Standard preamp with my Kismets. Dead quiet and extreme detail and one can roll tubes.
I found it used. They are pricey. There is one used right now on US Audio Mart.
Before that I had an Audio Mirror. He will still make a preamp if asked, and it was great.

uncola

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2021, 07:27 am »
Wow the name badge is new.  Nice way to identify the guts.  Lol seems like many kismet buyers prefer to save money on the less deluxe case

brad1138

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2021, 04:48 pm »
Wow the name badge is new.  Nice way to identify the guts.  Lol seems like many kismet buyers prefer to save money on the less deluxe case

The previous owner needed it in that case due to height limits in his rack. I think it looks good, and I just ordered a Candela which will match.

brad1138

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2021, 02:03 am »
Well, I ordered a Candela. I couldn't find a lot of reviews that spoke of it's character, but what I found sounded really good.

My Axiom II passive pre just isn't a good match for the Kismet. And my BAT VK-30 has issues... So I am keeping my fingers crossed this will do the trick. :)

uncola

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2021, 03:06 am »
Let us know how you like it.  I thought about ordering one many times

brad1138

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2021, 12:43 am »
Well... Still waiting on my Candela preamp.

My ears are failing by the day it seems, but definitely by the month. I am waiting on this tube preamp to hopefully warm up my Tekton Moabs. Warmth helps with the silibance sensitivity I am developing. My current Axiom II passive pre isn't a good match for the Kismet amp I picked up in Jan. I am hoping the Candela/Kismet combo will do the trick. If not I will sell them both and either go a different direction (Or maybe just give up...)

I understand, supply lines are difficult these days, hopefully Soon....  :)
« Last Edit: 15 May 2021, 04:22 am by brad1138 »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2021, 12:47 am »
Just FYI, if you have an extreme sensitivity to sibilance, I'd recommend trying different speakers.  IME the Tektons are fairly in your face. 

brad1138

« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2021, 12:56 am »
Just FYI, if you have an extreme sensitivity to sibilance, I'd recommend trying different speakers.  IME the Tektons are fairly in your face.

I had a No 532H Mark Levinson amp. It had issues (very long story), but it also had warmth, and it worked well in that aspect, but I ended up getting rid of it. I can't afford another ML, and outside of the warmth, the Kismet is a better amp. Just hoping the Tube preamp will do the trick.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2021, 01:27 am »
Hey Brad,

Yes, ....Candelas and Suspiros are hopelessly back ordered this year...has a lot to do with health issues of the Odyssey part who is manufacturing it,  AND also with parts supply chains.

And yes,  true,  I've been over promising and promising quite a few times.....banging my head against the wall.....RE$#^$^&($&^%

BUT,   boards and transformers will finally be in by the end of next week...FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!  .  or at least are promised to arrive,  which,  man oh man,  will make my life sop much easier.......

So,  trying my best,  and hopefully your complete system is up and running.....

Klaus
« Last Edit: 20 May 2021, 04:40 am by klaus@odyssey »

brad1138

« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2021, 02:57 am »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 15 May 2021, 04:20 am by brad1138 »

Dishman442

« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2021, 08:05 am »
Welcome!

I would LOVE to get your impressions on an eventual Candela/Kismet/Moab combo. I’m very familiar with the Levinson amps, having sold them for years, so I’m also interested in your impressions from moving ML to Kismet.  I know, I don’t ask for much…

Look at it this way: I’m waiting on my Khartago monos to be upgraded to Kismet adjacent status. It helps to pass the time talking about gear, tweaks and cabling.

:popcorn:

genjamon

« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2021, 01:32 pm »
Have you tried adjusting the bias on your Kismet? You can make it a warmer amp that way.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2021, 03:23 pm »
The previous owner needed it in that case due to height limits in his rack. I think it looks good, and I just ordered a Candela which will match.

That's a good looking amp. Glad you're happy with it.  :wink:

brad1138

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jun 2021, 03:38 am »
Welcome!

I would LOVE to get your impressions on an eventual Candela/Kismet/Moab combo. I’m very familiar with the Levinson amps, having sold them for years, so I’m also interested in your impressions from moving ML to Kismet.  I know, I don’t ask for much…

Look at it this way: I’m waiting on my Khartago monos to be upgraded to Kismet adjacent status. It helps to pass the time talking about gear, tweaks and cabling.

:popcorn:

The ML fiasco was a nightmare. (chronicled here  https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48999 ).

But the one thing the ML did have, was "tubey" warmth/richness. As much as I really like the Odyssey, and find it a better overall amp, I miss the richness. I am really hoping the Candela does the trick.

I do still have a Proceed BPA2, that is similar to the ML.

Unfortunately, I never experienced the ML as it should have been...

And agreed about talking about them...  :)

brad1138

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jun 2021, 03:40 am »
Have you tried adjusting the bias on your Kismet? You can make it a warmer amp that way.

No I have not, that would make me a bit nervous.

Maybe after I get the Candela, I'll see if is even necessary to try. 

Thanks

genjamon

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jun 2021, 03:48 am »
Ok, we’ll if you’re not comfortable trying yourself, I’m sure you could send to Klaus for him to adjust it.