Exotica 3's

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Re: Exotica 3's
« Reply #40 on: 30 Apr 2014, 06:08 pm »
Well reading all this sure set the mind into gear.

I was interested in the Seas Exotic line when I first heard all the chatter. The F8 full range drive has set a lot of the DIY forums, when N. Pass is excited and others about a driver it must be good.

Seas stated: " Seas Exotic is combining almost 60 years of Seas experience with the newest technology available.These drivers are addressing the market that requires ultra high end, high efficiency transducers."

These drivers with Jim speaker designs seem like a winning combination to me.

Switching the T35 with the Raal wouldn't be a chance I would want to take. The W8 and T35 were design to specifically fit together using the fabric and magnets. I would think you would loose something switching to the Raal. But what do I know.

I just got to figure how to raise the funds.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #41 on: 30 Apr 2014, 06:19 pm »
That sounds like Starbucks talk.   :scratch:

Starbucks?  :duh:

Not so, good sir! My machine is a Rancilio "Miss" Silvia ll semi-automatic espresso maker. My coffee beans are Peru Aprocassi Organic.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Rancilio/rancilio-silvia-redesigned-v3-espresso-machine.cfm?gclid=CLbIxb7oiL4CFQaBfgodLXMAwA

Miss Silvia is a bit more sensitive and requires a better quality grinder, but her crema is wonderful.

If ever you are in the area, stop by for a real espresso drink. :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: 30 Apr 2014, 06:21 pm »
Starbucks?  :duh:

Not so, good sir! My machine is a Rancilio "Miss" Silvia ll semi-automatic espresso maker. My coffee beans are Peru Aprocassi Organic.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Rancilio/rancilio-silvia-redesigned-v3-espresso-machine.cfm?gclid=CLbIxb7oiL4CFQaBfgodLXMAwA

Miss Silvia is a bit more sensitive and requires a better quality grinder, but her crema is wonderful.

If ever you are in the area, stop by for a real espresso drink. :thumb:
Ah OK.  I don't drink any of that stuff so I know nothing about it.   :)

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #43 on: 30 Apr 2014, 06:22 pm »
I fell in love with the Exoticas at last fall's RMAF where Jim just had the two way bookshelf units.

To me, the most telling thing was that the Exotica two way units far and away reproduced string sound better then I have ever heard.  The top strings on a bowed violin were just exquisitely realistic.  Its something you just can't really understand without hearing it.

I heard the same thing on the new Exotica Threes at Axpona and that was it, me ordering speakers three times as expensive as anything I have ever owned before.  These will take care of my "bucket list" for loudspeakers for sure.

Of course what also really pleased me was learning just how good our Fet Valve CF preamp, DAC, and 600R power amplifiers really are.  That string sound would never have emerged without the driving electronics being just as good as the Exotica speakers.

Frank Van Alstine

ricardojoa

« Reply #44 on: 30 Apr 2014, 06:28 pm »
I think the dome tweeter the t35 can be crossed lower then the raal 70-20. The dome should mate better with the larger woofer.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2014, 10:17 pm by ricardojoa »

JonnyFive

« Reply #45 on: 30 Apr 2014, 06:52 pm »
Frank, you've heard the Soundscapes at shows many times and yet you purchased the Exotica 3's after only a brief exposure.  To me, this indicates that the E3 is really something special.

You mentioned it reproduced the strings better than anything you've heard.  Can you clarify how it did so versus the Soundscape 8's?  Any difference in your perception of the midrange versus the Accuton?  What about the bass versus the dual woofers + PR on the SS8?

jsalk

« Reply #46 on: 30 Apr 2014, 06:57 pm »

After a good night's sleep and a delicious Macchiato this morning, I found myself wondering if I ought to be looking for a single driver speaker instead. Unless I'm mistaken, SEAS makes two Exotic full range drivers. Hmm. Worth looking into IMHO.

In the ideal world, the best speaker possible would be a single driver speaker.  It is totally phase-coherent.  Unfortunately, there are no single drivers I am aware of that handle upper treble well and have good bass extension at the same time.  If you don't care about bass and can handle a top end that is perhaps a little rolled off, you might find a single driver you can fall in love with. I never have.

The other issue is that the off-axis response on the top end isn't normally all that good.  Coherence in the midrange, however, can be excellent.

While there is much to be said for a good single driver design, I have yet to find one that works for me personally (and I have built quite a few for customers who wanted them).  While I have never tried one, I would suspect the same feelings about the Exotic single drivers.  And, of course, it is highly unlikely that Seas would have developed the T35 tweeter if they didn't also have the same reservations.

The Exotic woofer and tweeter combination does a marvelous job with the right crossover and a well-designed cabinet.  If 50 Hz is all you need for bass extension, this is a hard combination to beat.  But I personally want deeper bass response.  The Exotica 3-way was designed to maintain all that was good in the 2-way combination and add excellent, extended bass to the mix.

The bottom line is that you may find an Exotic single driver that will meet your needs.  But, personally, I'll pass on that one (of course we'd be happy to build it for anyone who wants a pair).

- Jim

resonance

« Reply #47 on: 30 Apr 2014, 07:03 pm »
At $11,995 for the Exotica 3's and $11,999 for the SoundScape 10's, wouldn't the better value wise comparison to consider for the Exotica 3's be between them and the SS 10's rather than the SS 8's at $7,999??

PMAT

« Reply #48 on: 30 Apr 2014, 07:48 pm »
Of course what also really pleased me was learning just how good our Fet Valve CF preamp, DAC, and 600R power amplifiers really are.  That string sound would never have emerged without the driving electronics being just as good as the Exotica speakers.

Geez Frank, the great sound had nothing to do with the electronics. Those speakers are so good that you can run them with just an I-Phone.  :lol:  come on guys, give Frank some love here (group hug) "Can't get no respect!"  :lol: Seriously though, Franks gear is obviously not limiting the capabilities of all these Salks. You build great gear Frank. Maybe you Could just dress up the top unit. I know it's not your style but it obviously is for many audiophiles.

sfox7076

« Reply #49 on: 30 Apr 2014, 07:50 pm »
What are the dimensions of these babies?  And how far away fromt he wall do they have to be?  Oh Brooklyn apartments...

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #50 on: 30 Apr 2014, 08:04 pm »
Geeze, I thought our silver Fet Valve units already were dressed up.

Or - - -  should I go to Aluminati Sound and have them mill all new gold plated cases out of solid aluminum blocks for us.

Then we too could sell $20,000 each amplifiers and preamplifiers.  Would that make everyone happy?

Frank

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #51 on: 30 Apr 2014, 08:10 pm »

Or - - -  should I go to Aluminati Sound and have them mill all new gold plated cases out of solid aluminum blocks for us.

Then we too could sell $20,000 each amplifiers and preamplifiers.  Would that make everyone happy?

Frank

I wouldn't mind a few diamonds glued to the fronts......

guf

« Reply #52 on: 30 Apr 2014, 08:41 pm »

Frank

Never going to please everybody. But the Exotica 3 users would be stoked with a really sweet sounding low watt, SET like hybrid amp to complement the higher efficiency top end of their new speaker.

jsalk

« Reply #53 on: 30 Apr 2014, 08:55 pm »
Never going to please everybody. But the Exotica 3 users would be stoked with a really sweet sounding low watt, SET like hybrid amp to complement the higher efficiency top end of their new speaker.

Can't speak for Frank, but stay tuned...

- Jim

Austin08

« Reply #54 on: 30 Apr 2014, 09:14 pm »

Frank

Never hurt to find a way to help your followers to please their eyes and their other half... I really like to try out AVA stuffs since everyone said they are very good match to my Salk but while the AVA equipment appearance are solid and functional but are also a "little blank" to my taste.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: 30 Apr 2014, 09:35 pm »
Can't speak for Frank, but stay tuned...

- Jim
Tell us more!

PMAT

« Reply #56 on: 30 Apr 2014, 11:07 pm »
Jesus Frank, that was blown out of proportion wasn't it? Just make some nice faceplates, everyone wants them. What is so hard about that? We all want nice looking stuff. Your Fetvalves are not cheap, they just look cheap. Hence, no fanfare.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 30 Apr 2014, 11:38 pm »
I think the AVA stuff looks swell. Nice quality and nice knobs too. Clean and simple, quality, is what I like. Frank nailed that.

loving_it

« Reply #58 on: 30 Apr 2014, 11:53 pm »
Never hurt to find a way to help your followers to please their eyes and their other half... I really like to try out AVA stuffs since everyone said they are very good match to my Salk but while the AVA equipment appearance are solid and functional but are also a "little blank" to my taste.

Check out the NBS Preamp by Nos Valves its top notch

Afterimage

« Reply #59 on: 1 May 2014, 12:01 am »
I think the AVA stuff looks swell. Nice quality and nice knobs too. Clean and simple, quality, is what I like. Frank nailed that.

Yeah, the AVA stuff looks pretty good to me.