New Alpha LS enclosures are in stock (pics)

Danny Richie

« on: 1 May 2004, 10:07 pm »
I just took delivery of Alpha LS enclosures that were produced by Mark Schifter.

These look incredible. He wrapped the veneer all the way around these in a way that left no seam.

The bases look like a Black mirror. Nice work all over.

Prices and further info can be seen on our web site on the Alpha LS page.

Enjoy the pics of Alpha LS enclosures in Rosewood, Walnut, and Ebony.

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2004, 10:12 pm »
Beau-tee-ful!  :o

Those walnut ones are making me drool.

grub

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2004, 10:32 pm »
The man knows how to make good looking cabinets!!
Good move Danny.  Those would fit in with the finest decor.....
-->grub

jonwb

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2004, 11:48 pm »
After seeing those... I'm depressed.   :banghead:

I think I'll just say screw it and go with raw MDF. :dance:  

Beautiful cabinets Danny.  Under $6k for a complete set of Alphas is a great audio bargain.  That's a lot of speaker for the money.

klh

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2004, 12:49 am »
Absolutely stunning! Very well done :D

Sa-dono

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2004, 03:09 am »
Very nice looking! :thumb: You're missing a "c" btw, Danny.

jonwb

bracing
« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2004, 03:17 am »
Danny,

Looks like the internal bracing is a little different on those babies.  Looks like instead of dowels they put "window" bracing between some of the sets of woofers.  Divider panel holes look a bit smaller too.  Those bases are incredilbe, how do they do that?

Care to comment on pros v. cons regarding the bracing?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2004, 07:58 am »
Now that's just about the best looking batch of cab's I've ever seen.  The 'exotic' finishes transform a 'ho-hum' looking speaker into a centerfold!  (Note:  I only meant the basic look is plain- I'm sure those bad boy got it in spades 'under the hood' where it counts).

azryan

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2004, 03:40 pm »
Awesome! I've been wanting to see Alphas in all diff. veneers.

The only thing I noticed was than the neo slots are stained instead of painted black.

Only a tiny little bit of the neo panel corners shows through where they round off, but I'd prefer it to be black there so it looks like one solid line.

You'd only need to tap some paint right where the corners are not even paint the whole neo recess or anything (as you know better than anyone so why am I telling you?).
Just a thought.
Maybe something the guys building Alphas now might find helpful?

jon,

Your Alphas are gonna look great. Don't be depressed.

Some of my fav. veneers are a dark cherry (much like what these Walnut and Rosewoods look like). light yellowish Maple, and Med/Dark brown Walnut -but these colors don't match my room.

Red Birch matched the earthy shades so I used that.

If you want gloss/piano black bases you just need to use gloss black paint.
It's tough to get it mirror perfect like those are without a sprayer though.

I painted mine semi-gloss and actually waxed 'em after that. Really easy to wipe dust off. Just personal pref. that I don't like piano black very much 'cuz of lights reflecting off of it, but here as bases I'm sure it's fine.

I wouldn't worry about these divider holes being diff. from yours. There's not really a specific size of holes needed.
Both will let air flow through, seal off the Neos from the rest of the cabinet, and fully brace the top/bottom/front/back so it just can't flex at all.

Rob,

'Plain looking speaker'? Really? Wow. The only plain looking speaker I know of that gets people to say 'Holy CRAP!' when they see it. hehe

I thought the Paduk (sp?) veneer on Danny's Alphas was pretty exotic?

I do love how all the drivers are plain matte black. It really lets ANY finish match them.

All piano black would make a killer contrast to the drivers IMO. Though not 'my thing', I'd love to see pics of that -so someone needs to go do that. heheh

I wonder if Mark was able to get veneer that was a little wider than the typical 4' wide?
It would only take about 5 or 6 more inches to wrap it around seamless (or only a seam above/below the outer neo slot edge).
Slick.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2004, 04:51 pm »
They're okay.  :wink:

jacket_fan

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2004, 01:32 am »
Is this the result of you meeting MLS in Dallas last summer?

Very impressive in the pictures, and I bet the pictures don't do them justice.  I'm drooling over the Rosewood veneer.  

What I want to know is how do you get the top and bottom mated without scratching the bottoms?  

Crane, engine lift or just a couple of big guys named Vito lifting strait up.  :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2004, 04:06 am »
Is this the result of you meeting MLS in Dallas last summer?

Actually that meeting had much more to do with him building enclosures for one of my clients.

What I want to know is how do you get the top and bottom mated without scratching the bottoms?

You lay the speaker down on one of the 8' by 4' fabric covered work tables with the bottom end hanging off the end of the table.

Then you hold the bottom up to it in place and screw it on.

You are right. the pictures do not do them justice. They look twice as good.

jacket_fan

« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2004, 02:35 pm »
I was pricing rosewood veneer...  Big $ for a speaker the size of your Alphas.  You really have some winners there.

Will you post pictures after you have them stuffed with speakers and the bottoms on.   I just had this mental picture of trying to lift the top portion up to mount on the bottom.  I recall moving a a pair over at Maggieguys house a while back and how heavy they are.  Not even in my younger weight lifting days...

Hope you also get a chance to work on the center channel (centurion).  I'm curious to know how it turns out.

wshuff

« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2004, 05:04 pm »
Well, we've already had people chime in to praise the walnut and rosewood.  I'll offer my praise too, but I have to say that I am most taken with the ebony.  I saw some pics of the RM40 in that same veneer over on the VMPS forum and thought that it looked great, and the same goes for the Alphas.  Man, I love that stuff!  And I think that those glossy bases would only make the ebony look that much better.

Very nice looking stuff, Danny.  Please post pics if and when you get the speakers completed.

And, uh, I'm also curious about the Centurion.  Keep us updated on the progress.