20 years of Von Schweikert enjoyment

danabunner

20 years of Von Schweikert enjoyment
« on: 28 Jan 2016, 03:19 am »
This marks my 20th year of ownership of Von Schweikert speakers.  Purchased a pair of original VR-4 speakers in 1996.  They were big and I met with some wife resistance to the size, but I fell in love with the sound and had to have them.   Used them in my main stereo system for 3 years and then decided I wanted to set up a 5.1 A/V system.   I acquired a LCR-21 to use as my center channel.

Then came a unique opportunity to acquire back/side speakers.   Albert suffered that terrible flood in New York and production came to a halt.  That flood wiped out his inventory, which included many pairs of their recently announced VM-2 monitors.  With no cash left, Albert had to pay some of the employees with inventory, one of those being Frank Derrigo, who assisted in the design of the VM-2 monitor.  Frank was “paid” with VM-2 cabinets, drivers, crossovers, etc.  He then assembled the speakers in his home and sold them over the Internet.  I purchased what Frank told me was his last set.  So I think I have the last pair of VM-2 monitors ever made.   These are beautiful sounding small monitors, very clear, very transparent.   I rarely see any references to this speaker.  I’ve now owned these for 17 years.

I attended CES, I believe it was 2001.  Ran into Albert in his demo room.  He recognized me from our Usenet conversations and talked me into sending him my VR-4s for his VR-5/7 upgrade, which he promised to personally oversee and tune.  So I did it.  Wow!  I fell in love all over again with the new speaker, so dynamic, transparent, such imaging as I had never heard.  He told me that he thought they sounded spectacular, in part due to the original VR-4 cabinet, which he felt was excellent sonically. 

I’ve driven them with several different amps over the years and have been amazed by how good the VR-4/5/7 sounds with just about any amp, even mid-priced receivers.  Presently bi-amping them with a 20wpc triode tube amp on the mid/tweeter module and SS on the bass module, volume levels adjusted and matched.  It’s magical.

Next up was acquiring a LCR-35 and selling off the LCR-21, the -35 being a much better match with the upgraded VR-4.   This was around 2003.

There have been no further changes to my speaker lineup.   I’ve been extremely happy and content with these speakers.  I auditioned many other speakers over the years, include $10,000 to $20,000/pr products from Wilson, Sonus Faber, Dynaudio, B&W, Joseph Audio, and many more.   I’ve yet to listen to any sub-$20,000/pr speaker for which I would trade my VR-4/5/7 even up.   

I have tremendously enjoyed my 20 year journey.  I have no plans to sell any of my VS speakers.  They are my pride and joy.   I like looking across my room and seeing the same VR-4 cabinets as I did in 1996.  I sometimes wonder what my children will do with them when they inherit them. 

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: 20 years of Von Schweikert enjoyment
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2016, 02:47 pm »
Great story danabrunner!  I own VR5 Annies and have yet to hear anything worthy of moving to.  When it comes to speakers one need look no further than VSA.  Albert rulz!

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2016, 05:12 pm »
11 years and going strong for me  :thumb:

Mountainjoe

• President & CEO Eigen Audio Dealer
    • Eigen Audio
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2016, 06:23 pm »
Nice to hear from another long time VSA owner  :thumb:

I bought my first pair in 1998 - VR4 gen2 that I really loved. I updated these to VR44 status and subsequently moved up to the VR55. Though the VR55s are far and above my original VR4s, I do feel a strong emotional attachment to that speaker and wish I could have kept that original pair.

Albert's contribution to the science and art of speaker design is significant and I for one am grateful for all the years of musical enjoyment his speakers have given me.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2016, 07:04 pm »
We can shake hands.

Also here in Holland we are in with VSA for 20 years.

It started with the legendary VR4 and a little later the VR6, still my favorite.

Up with VR 5 and VR 7 and the Home Cinema-line after the flood.

Now a days, the complete Unifield-line to fill out our little european rooms with nice music.

Our top of the line VR 9 SE bringing realism sky high.

Enjoy the music every day thanks to the whole VSA- team.

Cor Dekker
Musical Reality

Panelhead1

Guess Vortex counts
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2016, 07:25 pm »
  Purchased a pair of Vortex about 25 years ago. Used upstairs for for 10 years. A neighbor has them now.

nc42acc

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2016, 10:49 pm »
Same story here. The only speakers that have stopped my urge to upgrade. Very underrated in my opinion.

Great story danabrunner!  I own VR5 Annies and have yet to hear anything worthy of moving to.  When it comes to speakers one need look no further than VSA.  Albert rulz!

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2016, 12:40 am »
I'm in for the long haul too, starting with the VR4 Silver's to current, VR55's,, and I think everything in btwn, over two decades.  I'm a "Lifer"!  Thank you Albert and the VSA family!

gammajo

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2016, 03:58 pm »
About 15 years for me starting with hearing the VR4 Jr at someone's home and being so impressed got into the line with VR 4 SR, then upgraded to VR5 Anni MK2 and now VR 55 Aktive - could not be happier with  price, performance and personalized service

htradtk

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2016, 12:34 am »
Great stories!

Mine began in 2007 when I was shopping for a HDTV. When I went to Stansbury audio/video (now closed), I brought the Pioneer Elite 60" plasma. While there, I heard the VR-5SE that the dealer had on display. Could not believe the sound! So open and spacious! I told my dealer I'll be back next year to order a pair. So in 2008 went back and ordered a pair. About two weeks after I ordered, my dealer called me an said that Albert had a new model called the VR-5 Anniversary and asked if I wanted to change my order. Well of course I said YES. When my dealer set them up for me they sounded outstanding! Then in 2012, I sent them back to VSA for the MKII upgrade! Could not be happier!! I have to say that VSA is the best company to deal with, best customer service period! Now I have the VR-55 on my radar, still thinking! Just remember, life is short, can't take it with you.

Henry

martinr

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2016, 06:02 pm »
Im a little behind the crowd here - I purchased a pair of VR 4 Sr. HSE II New in the Box about 3 years ago.....a prior retailer in the Denver area had kept them in his parents basement and never opened the boxes or used them......running them with Odyssey Kismet Hybrids.....they sound great but one day play to use a SET for the top modules with the Odysseys for the base units....What type of 20wpc triode tube amp on the mid/tweeter module are you using DanaBunner?  - I've hear this set up before with the VS sr's and to my ears it sounded magical.....Ill keep these speakers forever....will ask Albert to upgrade them at some point....thanks for sharing!  - Martin

ASMAN

« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2016, 06:22 pm »
I too am a noob with VSA.
Have had my VR-22's for 3 years now. I haven't even considered anything else since. I am not one of those guys that changes equipment like their shorts, I prefer to find something that works and stick with it. I have found the speakers I will keep.
I haven't even considered moving up the line as my room is so small that anything more is overkill. Maybe some day I can try the Uni line.
I would like to thank Albert and his team for establishing and maintaining such high standards for their products.
Marlin

danabunner

« Reply #12 on: 1 Feb 2016, 06:28 pm »
What type of 20wpc triode tube amp on the mid/tweeter module are you using DanaBunner?  - I've hear this set up before with the VS sr's and to my ears it sounded magical..

It's an unusual one.  A Korato KVA-20.  Never imported to the USA.  Has Audionote output transformers.  Picked it up used from a shop where someone traded it in, got a very good deal on it.  It uses a pair of 6CA7 tubes per side.  Wonderful midrange and pretty good detail on both lows and highs. 

Audiophile

« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2016, 03:25 pm »
I have my VSA VR-5 HSE Hovland Special Edition for about 15 years. Maybe a bit less. I have upgraded every other piece of equipment since acquiring these wonderful speakers. I have on several occasions thought about upgrading but then when I listen again i change my mind.

I always seem to feel that after such a long period of time with any piece of equipment there should be improvement. I have not listened to the latest from VSA, B&W, Focal, Magnapan and Revel but that itch is coming again.  :?