Can Maggie .7's Be Used Somewhat Nearfield In A Small Room? - Need Your Expertis

Slapshot

This older Harman Kardon would probably work well, but is a bit too pricey for the purpose I would be using it for. Time to hit the pawn shops I guess.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649534347-harman-kardon-avr-8000-71-channel-550-watt-receiver-in-excellent-condition/

JC

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
I have to say I'm very touched at now having received two incredibly considerate offers from people who would loan me an amp to help me through this process. Just another reminder of what great people you come across in the audio world. You guys are immensely kind to make such offers. Thank you, very much.

Through his assistant back in the office, the owner of the company who manufacturers the integrated in question, has already been in touch with me about ensuring a very quick resolution to the problem. And he took the time to do so while on vacation in Europe with his family, no less. He believes he has an idea of what must have been compromised by the rough handling the unit received during shipping from the brick and mortar in Nova Scotia to me, in Michigan. And to his credit, he is still clearly disappointed that a product he made failed to stand up to such treatment.

JC

My pleasure. A Man must have His music.

charles

Slapshot

Wanted to stop back here to update everyone on things, as requested. The integrated amp is back after being repaired from its shipping mishandling. I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying this system now. The .7's are each 24 inches out from the wall, five feet from the listening position, and not quite three feet apart (inside edge to inside edge - a room/furniture limitation).

The .7's, along with this exceptional integrated amp are everything I could hope for in this space. And an incredible value to boot, granted, I stole the integrated amp that was on consignment to a brick and mortar audio store. Thank for everyone who supported my intended purchase of the .7's and encouraged it. I cannot imagine a system I would enjoy more (or even as much) in this small room, with all it's limitations.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
A happy ending!

timind

• permanent vacation
Congrats Slapshot, almost seems like a very large pair of headphones. I'll bet it sounds fantastic.

Thanks for the update.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Congrats!  Here's some more stuff to play with:

Two things I do that are a little different: 1) rather than point each of my Maggie's at my ears, I angle them so they point about 6" out from my shoulders.  This gives me a slightly differant sound which you might like also. Especially if your chair is close to your Back wall.   Try a few different angles.  You may find a surprisingly nice  placement you like better than having your speakers pointing right at your ears.
2). I like my Maggie's to be tilted forward 1 degree towards my listening position rather than tilted back.  You might try few different angles (forward leaning, straight up or backward leaning) to see which one of them produces the sound stage you enjoy the most.  You might try some different size pieces of wood to help provide an angle and don't forget, you can always mount the Maggie supplied feet reversed which will give you a forward lean - if you like that sound.  No matter what you use to stand your Maggies up - the regular issue Maggie feet, Mye Stands, or Sound Anchors, I would suggest going to your local Big Box Hardware store and buying a couple of those large, concrete patio blocks. The ones that are about 15"x 15"  or maybe 18" x 18" and are 2" thick.  One or two of those on top of your speaker feet will anchor your Maggies as good as anything.

Slapshot

Congrats!  Here's some more stuff to play with:

Thanks for the tips, will try them out! Listening as we speak and it's just wonderful sound.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAL !!!

charles

AvsFan

Thanks for the tips, will try them out! Listening as we speak and it's just wonderful sound.

My LRS's sound great in my small 12x10 room.

I might have missed it but what amp are you using?

Slapshot

My LRS's sound great in my small 12x10 room.

I might have missed it but what amp are you using?

The Modwright KWI200 integrated. It's noted for great performance matched with Maggies.

AvsFan

The Modwright KWI200 integrated. It's noted for great performance matched with Maggies.

Wow, that's quite the integrated amp, I'll never be able to afford anything like that. My max budget on an amp is like $2000.
But I bet that amp really brings the Maggie's to life!