Ron's SongTower-like design in dyed crotch mahogany

rlee8394

Re: Ron's SongTower-like design in dyed crotch mahogany
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2011, 06:08 pm »
Ron

How would you say those drivers compare to the HT2s or standard ST, I know you have listened to Jim's speakers for a while and would like your opinion.

Actually, the only experience I've had listening to Jim's speakers were at Dennis' house with the prototypes where I met you. I believe you helped me lug one of my B&W 801FS down to Dennis' measurement room. The other time was at last years Capital Audiofest where I got to hear the SoundScapes and LCY ribbon version of the SongTowers. I really like MLQWTL speakers and feel that one can actually resolve the lower frequencies as opposed to the low end boom of bass reflex units. Once bitten, I purchased Martin King's Mathcad worksheets and learned to design MLQWTL speakers. I choose the Seas U16RCY/P unit because it had the same physical size of the CA15RLY and ER15RLY units used in the SongTowers, but with a 33% greater Sd, or surface area to move air. I figured I could design an enclosure hat would go lower than the ST's for roughly the same cost. The U16RCy/P is about $10.00 more than the ER15RLY. So I have only listened to the prototype of this speaker, and just a single unit at that. Once I get them in house, I'll give them a better listen and compare to the B&W 601S3 and 801FS units.

Now if I can just find someone local to take those 801s off of my hands!!  :lol:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jun 2011, 06:21 pm »
Actually, the only experience I've had listening to Jim's speakers were at Dennis' house with the prototypes where I met you. I believe you helped me lug one of my B&W 801FS down to Dennis' measurement room. The other time was at last years Capital Audiofest where I got to hear the SoundScapes and LCY ribbon version of the SongTowers. I really like MLQWTL speakers and feel that one can actually resolve the lower frequencies as opposed to the low end boom of bass reflex units. Once bitten, I purchased Martin King's Mathcad worksheets and learned to design MLQWTL speakers. I choose the Seas U16RCY/P unit because it had the same physical size of the CA15RLY and ER15RLY units used in the SongTowers, but with a 33% greater Sd, or surface area to move air. I figured I could design an enclosure hat would go lower than the ST's for roughly the same cost. The U16RCy/P is about $10.00 more than the ER15RLY. So I have only listened to the prototype of this speaker, and just a single unit at that. Once I get them in house, I'll give them a better listen and compare to the B&W 601S3 and 801FS units.

Now if I can just find someone local to take those 801s off of my hands!!  :lol:

You brought an 801 to my place?  The Big Hog?  I don't remember that.  Really?  The big classic
Matrix 3-way?  I remember two book shelf models, but not the Big Hog.  Anyhow, I thought the souped up SongTower sounded great.  The bass definitely goes a few Hz deeper, and I didn't hear any tradeoff elsewhere in the frequency response.  But I didn't hear it in stereo either.

rlee8394

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jun 2011, 06:49 pm »
Yeah, remember we lugged it downstairs and you did a measurement for me. I had changed out all of the old caps that were way off in value and replaced them with tight tolerance film units. You said it looked good and that I did a good job. At the end of your get together, I fired up the pair with the two AVA U70 amps. This was in July 2009 at your hosted DC Speakerfest.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #23 on: 17 Jun 2011, 07:39 pm »
Yeah, remember we lugged it downstairs and you did a measurement for me. I had changed out all of the old caps that were way off in value and replaced them with tight tolerance film units. You said it looked good and that I did a good job. At the end of your get together, I fired up the pair with the two AVA U70 amps. This was in July 2009 at your hosted DC Speakerfest.

Hmmm.  I remember the event.  And buying way too much barbeque.  I don't have any recollection of what they sounded like.  How did they measure? 

rlee8394

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jun 2011, 07:46 pm »
At first there was a HF roll-off that you questioned. I then went over and adjusted the HF Environmental Control (B&W speak) from flat to whatever the high setting was, and when you measured again, it came spot on. Now I know which setting to use for the HF control.

Ron

rlee8394

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #26 on: 17 Jun 2011, 08:02 pm »
Here's the event.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68550.0

Ron

Man--that rug was a lot cleaner before Big Ben hit town.  Didn't see any pics of the alleged 801's.  But I do remember the high frequency switch thing. 

rahimlee54

« Reply #27 on: 17 Jun 2011, 09:08 pm »

I hope whoever gets them has eaten their Wheaties that day, those suckers are heavy.  The B&Ws didn't sound bad though hope you like the salks better, they will be much better to look at for sure.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #28 on: 18 Jun 2011, 01:51 pm »
Ron

I'm just reading about your speakers this morning.  That veneer looks really good.  Enjoy them!

Are you planning on coming to the Capital Audiofest?  I'll be there.

rlee8394

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jun 2011, 01:59 am »
Yep, I'll be there. Looking forward to seeing you, Dennis, and Jim again!! :thumb:

rlee8394

« Reply #30 on: 22 Jun 2011, 10:58 pm »
OK, there here and they sound  :thumb:!! I know you've all heard this before, but it's worth restating; photos just doesn't do these speakers justice. If you ever get the chance to see a Salk built product, do yourself a favor and check them out. B&W, Joseph Audio, etc. have nothing over Salk workmanship.

Here are the obligatory FedEx photos:

Once I get my room straightened up, I'll post more photos of these in action. Oh hell, here's a couple anyway:

With grilles attached.

WIth grilles stowed on back of speakers.

This isn't my optimal room, it's just temporary until my stepson gets his stuff out of the basement so I can build my dedicated media room. In the mean time, this will have to do.

Thanks to Jim, Dennis, and Martin King for all of there help on this project.

Ron

charmerci

« Reply #31 on: 23 Jun 2011, 01:01 am »
This isn't my optimal room, it's just temporary until my stepson gets his stuff out of the basement so I can build my dedicated media room. In the mean time, this will have to do.

How about buying a tarp or two and putting the stuff in the backyard in the meantime?  :lol:

rlee8394

« Reply #32 on: 23 Jun 2011, 01:31 am »
Charmerci,

Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind!!! :D I am in the middle of building a patio with walkway around to the front driveway. Wife says when that's done, we start on the basement!! The boy and his girlfriend have pretty much moved up to his grandparent's farmhouse, so it's just a matter of getting his stuff up there. Plenty of space in barns, hog house, sheds, etc. to store his stuff. Maybe rent a storage unit in his name and move it up there and turn over the key to him. Once he's paying for storage, that may motivate him to move it.

Ron

Saturn94

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jun 2011, 01:34 pm »
Congrats Ron!

Hehehe.....that equipment "stand" looks like something from Dennis's house. :green:

R Swerdlow

« Reply #34 on: 23 Jun 2011, 01:39 pm »
Hehehe.....that equipment "stand" looks like something from Dennis's house. :green:
That "equipment stand" is a mass-loaded transmission-line amplifier stand.

Experts agree that it adds that extra je ne sais quoi to those AVA amps :lol:!

rahimlee54

« Reply #35 on: 23 Jun 2011, 03:59 pm »
I know it has been discussed somewhere, but was there anything to having the tweeters on the outside vs the inside of the speakers?

rlee8394

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:01 pm »
That "equipment stand" is a mass-loaded transmission-line amplifier stand.

Experts agree that it adds that extra je ne sais quoi to those AVA amps :lol:!

Indeed!!! I'm gonna take down the Insight+ 500 and add the second U70 and bridge them to see how they sound. Should be fun!!! :thumb:

Ron

Saturn94

« Reply #37 on: 24 Jun 2011, 01:55 am »
I know it has been discussed somewhere, but was there anything to having the tweeters on the outside vs the inside of the speakers?

Here's a link to one of my posts on the subject and a response from Dennis;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=20591210#post20591210

Scroll down to post #5846 and #5847

Also found this on AudioCircle;

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90070.msg888851#msg888851

(W)KRP

« Reply #38 on: 25 Jun 2011, 02:22 am »

I notice no Salk badges on the fronts. Something to consider. I like the grills better on. I really like the HT2 woofers though, that copper color.

I have no idea why photos always look better on my computer than here on audiocircle.  The photos certainly do not do justice to this pair.

If Jim's pictures don't do any justice, they you have just committed a crime, my former friend. Put that toy away and have the FedEx guy deliver a camera.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2011, 05:44 am by (W)KRP »

rlee8394

« Reply #39 on: 26 Jun 2011, 02:16 am »
I'm not a professional photographer by any means. :D  Thant being said, I'd rather spend $$$ on music and equipment!! BTW, Jim provided the nameplates, I just haven't affixed them to the speakers yet.

Ron