for those using cheap pine or similar type shelving

MediaSeth

Right now I'm stuck with my shelving. I've had my TT on the top shelf of what was originaly meant to be a microwave stand with some shelves underneath.  It came from an unfinished furniture place and was well built.
Unable to get a real rack right now I went to Home Goods and picked up a very thick and large wood cutting board and just stuck it under the table.  I then had to level it off, but not having anything special to put under it yet I settled for folded up note cards.  I simply can not believe how much better the Pro-Ject 1.2 sounds.  I guess I was really screwing things up the way I had it before.  I'm going to try blu-tack to replace the folded up note cards, but maybe it's too heavy for blu-tack.
BTW, I did get around to applying a nice dark-reddish wood stain and at least it looks nice!
I saw some other posts here about cutting blocks being made into TT bases.  If I had the tools and ability, I'd be working on one myself I think.
Or maybe I should work on getting a real audio rack..maybe a rack can be made with dowls of some sort holding together thick butcher-block shelves.  I have thin cutting boards for my bedroom rack but those rest on resonating metal shelves..

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2003, 05:24 am »
Try archery field points! They're threaded, so level adjustment is possible.
Sports Authority used to carry them, but my local store quit doing so. You can get 'em on eBay, but shipping charges make them less attractive financially; if you find them locally, they're just a few dollars for six or so. You MAY want to protect surface under spikes with pennies or something similar.

Thay also make good spikes for speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2706734363&category=1291

beat

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2003, 04:08 am »
good Idea tonto!

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2003, 06:06 am »
Thanks, but I'll have to admit that I read it in some forgotten audio mag.
Still, it's worth trying if you can find the points cheap. BTW, there are some other archery points that are much fancier (and more expensive) and might look more impressive.

TY

MediaSeth

might try it
« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2003, 05:47 pm »
All I need is to buy a drill and figure out the right bit size. Being an apt dweller, I haven't amassed many tools.  I wonder if any have self-starting screws if that's the right term.  I even looked at some solid metal cabinet door knobs with screws attatched being sold by my local hardware store for a few bucks, but a point should still be better than a ball-shape, right?
I've also done the squash-ball cut in half thing, but I think they were too soft and may have amplified some vibrations.  My CDP has vibrapods.